Start by marking “How to Get a Literary Agent” as Want to Read:
How to Get a Literary Agent

How to Get a Literary Agent

Written by a top literary agent who gives writers an insider's view of how to find and work with an agent throughout the process of getting published. Includes:
-- How to know that you're ready for an agent
-- 7 ways to find an agent
-- Writing a cover letter that grabs attention
-- What to do with an agent once you've got one
-- What you can expect and what you'd better not h
Published September 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get a Literary Agent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get a Literary Agent

Sylvester
Nov 24, 2016 Sylvester rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Not a bad book if you are trying to find an agent to help you publish your book. It offers some tips and advice plus some overview of the industry.
Horton Deakins
May 08, 2011 Horton Deakins rated it really liked it
Shelves: riting-tules
I really liked this, and I thought it made a lot of sense, but I took off one star because what he failed to say was YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO SEND OUT 500 QUERY LETTERS AND WAIT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER TO GET A POSITIVE RESPONSE. Then you have to wait another year to get a bite from a publisher, or perhaps the agent will tell you after a year that you need to write something else because he can't sell your first book, or if he does sell it, the publisher will then take another year to get the ...more
Tony Riches
Feb 25, 2012 Tony Riches rated it really liked it
There has never been a better time to be a writer. That’s the view of Literary Agent Michael Larsen.

I can sum up the main point of the book by saying it will really help if you can look at life from the agent’s point of view. After reading Michael’s book I feel better able to do that and recommend it to anyone who is serious about being published. He makes a good point that ‘you don’t really need an agent any more than you need a dentist, as you can probably fill your own teeth.’

One surprise was
Nazire
May 05, 2016 Nazire rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite, on-writing
This is a well written book with a lot of insight, advice and an understanding of the "rules of the game". It could have been organized better, but the organization isn't entirely terrible.

There is a strong voice and the anecdotes makes it fun to read. I read about a chapter a day without getting the feeling that I just wasn't retaining anything.

I don't particularly like the attitude most literary agents adopt, but I've come to understand that it is undeniable. Unfortunately Mr. Larsen is no e
Joe
Nov 26, 2009 Joe rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after attending the San Francisco Writer's Conference, organized annually by Mr. Larsen and his wife, who own a literary agency. Mr Larsen is street-smart and funny, fast with a quip and shrewd. Now, I wish he had become my agent, but that may very well have been a wise choice on his part :-)

The book describes a lot about the book business that any aspiring wirter needs to know. As a writer, you must fall in love with your book - you have to do so, or else you would never see
Tom Franklin
Aug 29, 2010 Tom Franklin rated it it was amazing
Easily the best all-around book on the subject that I've read. Larsen does a great job of exhaustively covering all aspects of his subject without leaving the reader exhausted. His writing style is direct but his material is delivered with a touch of humor. As an agent, he takes his business seriously; as a writer, he takes it seriously, but not overly seriously.

Highly, highly recommended.
R.L.
Aug 13, 2014 R.L. rated it liked it
I met Michael Larsen and liked him so I bought his book. It is a chatty, friendly book that makes one believe that the job of getting a literary agent might be like the job of making a five-layer cake. He is thorough in his explanations and he shares several great tips, which sounded like common sense to me. If you are just starting out and thinking of getting an agent, it is probably a good book to read.
Spencer
I give it no stars, not because it was no good, but because how do you rate a "how to" without putting its precepts into practice? Have I found a literary agent yet? No. Could the book be helpful in assisting me to find one? Possibly. When I get my literary agent, and make my millions, I shall return and edit my star-rating accordingly.
Elaine
Jul 13, 2008 Elaine rated it really liked it
Very helpful and motivating. I also appreciated the light touch and humor afforded a subject that is very serious to me. It helped me to get a grip and gain some needed perspective. I'm looking forward to the next book I bought of his: How to Write a Book Proposal.
Kourtnie McKenzie
Aug 16, 2009 Kourtnie McKenzie rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
The problem with books on how to get literary agents is that I believe agents have individual preferences. The material in this book conflicted several times with information I have read on agent blogs. This is great for if you want to query Michael Larsen, though!
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Kimberly Ross
Kimberly Ross rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Chelly Wood
Chelly Wood rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2010
Charles Shipps
Charles Shipps rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
David Hillhouse
David Hillhouse rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Alina
Alina rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2012
Temple Williams
Temple Williams rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Brian Weisfeld
Brian Weisfeld rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Rajesh Agrawal
Rajesh Agrawal rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Jens
Jens rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2007
David Bookbinder
David Bookbinder rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2010
Jennie Helderman
Jennie Helderman rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Daisy Jerico
Daisy Jerico rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
A.L.
A.L. rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Marc Royston
Marc Royston rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
George Steger
George Steger rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Catherine Schaff-Stump
Catherine Schaff-Stump rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Tracy Duvall
Tracy Duvall rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2011