Start by marking “The Pillow Fight” as Want to Read:
The Pillow Fight

The Pillow Fight

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The gripping story of Luke, an easy-going deep-sea diver who likes to please everyone, and the strong-willed, beautiful Charlotte with whom he falls in love. On their wedding night she picks a fight with Luke in their hotel room and he ends up with a black eye that lasts well into their honeymoon.

The novel unfolds with flashbacks to that night, when Luke finds himself que
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Pillow Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pillow Fight

Andrea
May 09, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
Haven't yet worked out if I am not going beyond "it was okay" because of the subject matter or the writing and development itself. Probably the latter. Domestic violence, violent relationships of any sort, are hard for me to read about, but I expect to be drawn in more than I was with this book. I don't want maudlin manipulation but perhaps something that felt a bit less distant. Maybe the author is just effective at portraying Luke's own feeling of watching a life unfold before him, one with a ...more
Mary-lou
Nov 09, 2013 Mary-lou rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as a psychological profile of the abused and abuser. It was an upsetting enjoyment as I joined the roller coaster ride of violence, love, anger, damage and silence. It was frightening but also enticing. I couldn't stop reading. I was alternatively filled with revulsion, fright and a strange understanding which caused me to think of my own relationships. The things that are sometimes done in the name of love. I am always amazed at the human capacity to be unkind to others when ...more
Amy Williams
Mar 24, 2016 Amy Williams rated it it was amazing
I love books and films that give me a taste, a glimpse, an exploration into a reality different from my own - the starker the contrast, the better.
Having been through an abusive relationship before there are things I can relate to but there are also eye opening concepts dealing with female driven domestic violence which I had never even imagined before.
For example, the concept of the victim being torn between their love for the other and their need to escape, was turned on its head for me - I'
Peter
Jun 09, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
Amazingly close-to-the-bone and depicted Sydney location brilliantly. One of the best dissections of relationship I have read. Crisp, succinct, cutting and (literally) hard hitting...
Skyring
Jul 26, 2010 Skyring rated it liked it
An interesting and difficult subject: relationship violence, set in Sydney and (briefly) Paris. The descriptions of the Australian landscape are as detailed as the emotional landscape, though a lot easier to read.

Look at your fiancee's mother and you'll see your wife in twenty-five years. That's made clear in this novel, but here we should also consider the father.

I'll pass this on as a BookCrossing.com book. Or perhaps leave it a marriage guidance clinic.
Mircats
It seems wrong to say that I liked a book about domestic abuse, but it was very well written. Interesting look at how it starts and the causes.
Derek
Nov 12, 2008 Derek rated it liked it
writing the insecurities, the violence, has its place. also, alcohol must play a part in all novels. but do books with unlikeable leads ever really succeed? i'm thinking emma...
Deborah Laurie
Dec 18, 2013 Deborah Laurie rated it it was ok
About violence in marriage I found it affected me in a dark way that was not so good.
Cherlyn
Cherlyn rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Neil Dufty
Neil Dufty rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
julia wine
julia wine marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Jenny Sharp
Jenny Sharp rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Rose
Rose added it
Dec 05, 2015
Anne Hayes
Anne Hayes marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Jenny Ackland
Jenny Ackland rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jane Meredith
Jane Meredith rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Felicity
Felicity rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015