Start by marking “How I Spent My Summer Holidays” as Want to Read:
How I Spent My Summer Holidays

How I Spent My Summer Holidays

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When How I Spent My Summer Holidays was first published in 1981 a Western reviewer wrote: “If Who Has Seen the Wind told the story of a young boy’s coming to terms with death, How I Spent My Summer Holidays tells of a young man’s attempt to come to terms with his own sexuality and that of the world around him.”

The twelve-year-old young man is Hugh, and in small-town Saskat
Published March 18th 2000 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about How I Spent My Summer Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Spent My Summer Holidays

Gundula
Oct 23, 2014 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older teenagers and adults who enjoy Canadian literature
This classic of modern Canadian literature, which was first published in 1981, is, I believe, sometimes thought of as being somewhat of a children's or at least a young adult novel (and is often read in both Junior High and Senior High English classes in Canadian schools). However, while the main character, Hugh (or Hughie) is a twelve-year old child (at least during the flashbacks, the memories of that one summer), How I Spent My Summer Holidays is certainly not a children's novel (even though ...more
Kenton Smith
Really enjoyed this, maybe more so because I was once a 12 year-old boy and lived in the country. Definitely not as innocent as the last book of his that I read (Who Has Seen the Wind) so be prepared for teenage-boy language and thoughts. Love the way Mitchell writes and this is no exception.
Elin
"How I spent my summer holidays" is a story about a young boy growing up on the Prairies of Western Canada. My mother's family homestead is not far from where the story takes place, as a result, this book has a special fondest.
absolutely a delightful read!
Jenya Yuss
One of the most amazing books I have read in a very long time. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think. Very fast paced and easy. If you manage to get your hands on it, I would recommend it! (although I did have a hard time finding it)
Stacy
It took me a while to get into this, as I thought he was skipping around too much. Soon, I was laughing uproariously over his boyhood antics. After that, I was drawn into the intrigue and sadness of that summer. Although we may not have experienced the extreme events Hugh did, the childhood of all of us is captured in some way here.
Carol
I stopped writing book reviews for several years, but I can recommend W.O. Mitchell as he is always good.
Here is a quote that I underlined...
"Everybody gets scared," King said. "Nothing wrong with that. Main thing is -how do you handle it.
"How?" Peter said.
"By not thinking."
"I find that difficult to..."
"But it's right-you got to turn off thinking-right off-and do what you got to do. If you think about it, then you'll get more and more scared and more and more paralyzed. So-blank it out-
Tawnya Roy
I actually listened to this on CD while driving back and forth to work. The scene in which the kids dig the first cave had be roaring with laughter in the car. I am sure anyone driving past me thought I was nuts.
Theresa
A Calgarian and a Windsor Professor, Wow, so many connections to the author, he seems to be a Truly canadian author, no pretense in his writing, which makes it worth while reading. a Classic
Alex
My mom actually met W.O. Mitchell, and I have an autographed copy of this book.
It's not a very big paperback, and it does deserve a reread.
Kathy Doll
I can't believe I've never read this classic before. Lovely coming-of-age story by an icon of canadian literature.
Megan
Lovely. I love the work of W.O. Mitchell. Quite truly.
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
KOMET
KOMET marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
BrokenTune
BrokenTune marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Rob Holmes
Rob Holmes marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Inna Shepelska
Inna Shepelska marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Mairead
Mairead marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Ormond Mitchell was an author of novels, short stories, and plays. He is best known for his 1947 novel Who Has Seen The Wind, which has sold close to a million copies in North America, and a collection of short stories, Jake and the Kid, which subsequently won the Stephen Leacock Award. Both of these portray life on the Canadian prairies where he grew up in the early part of the 20th centu ...more
More about W.O. Mitchell...
Who Has Seen the Wind Jake and the Kid Roses Are Difficult Here The Black Bonspiel of Willie MacCrimmon Ladybug, Ladybug