Start by marking “How I Spent My Summer Holidays” as Want to Read:
How I Spent My Summer Holidays

How I Spent My Summer Holidays

When How I Spent My Summer Holidays was first published in 1981 a Western reviewer wrote: “If Who Has Seen the Wind told the story of a young boy’s coming to terms with death, How I Spent My Summer Holidays tells of a young man’s attempt to come to terms with his own sexuality and that of the world around him.”

The twelve-year-old young man is Hugh, and in small-town Saskat
Published March 18th 2000 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about How I Spent My Summer Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Spent My Summer Holidays

Manybooks
Apr 17, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older teenagers and adults who enjoy Canadian literature
This classic of modern Canadian literature, which was first published in 1981, is, I believe, sometimes thought of as being somewhat of a children's or at least a young adult novel (and is often read in both Junior High and Senior High English classes in Canadian schools). However, while the main character of W.O. Mitchell's How I Spent My Summer Holidays, Hugh (or Hughie) is a twelve-year old child (at least during the flashbacks, the memories of that one summer), How I Spent My Summer Holidays ...more
BrokenTune
Oct 23, 2014 BrokenTune rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, canada
When I first started my Canadian reading project, W.O. Mitchell seemed to appear on every list of recommended authors.

How I Spent My Summer Holidays tells the story of a summer in 1924 when a group of boys were set on adventure and inadvertently got mixed up with a murder.

It is only several years later when the MC returns to his hometown that he is able to put his childhood memories into context and understands the story fully.

In many ways, How I Spent My Summer Holidays reminded me of the film
Kathleen
We listened to the audiobook of the classic HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER HOLIDAYS written and read by W. O. Mitchell and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This master of the English language had us laughing aloud more than once, and occasionally cringing as he related the experiences of small prairie town 12 year old Hugh and his friends in the 1920's.
W. O. Mitchell's CBC Radio broadcasts delighted a generation of Canadian listeners.
4****
Jenya Yuss
Sep 18, 2013 Jenya Yuss rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing books I have read in a very long time. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think. Very fast paced and easy. If you manage to get your hands on it, I would recommend it! (although I did have a hard time finding it)
Kenton Smith
Jan 04, 2011 Kenton Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada, fiction, classics
Really enjoyed this, maybe more so because I was once a 12 year-old boy and lived in the country. Definitely not as innocent as the last book of his that I read (Who Has Seen the Wind) so be prepared for teenage-boy language and thoughts. Love the way Mitchell writes and this is no exception.
Elin
Jun 13, 2008 Elin rated it really liked it
"How I spent my summer holidays" is a story about a young boy growing up on the Prairies of Western Canada. My mother's family homestead is not far from where the story takes place, as a result, this book has a special fondest.
absolutely a delightful read!
Reem Taha
Oct 02, 2016 Reem Taha rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, canadian
A quick read. I wouldn't have picked it up if I didn't have to read it for class. It was interesting though that this summer I visited Alberta/Saskatchewan/Montana, and I saw the prairies where the book is set.
edit: Reading more into the book, I realized that this book is about perspective. It's written from the limited point of view of a child's perspective, but it also shows us how we see what we are prepared to see or what we are looking for - like when Holy Rollers saw "Jesus."

"I don't thin
Biblio Curious
Jun 27, 2015 Biblio Curious rated it did not like it
I had to read this one is middle school or high school and didn't enjoy it. It was uncomfortable and strange to read. The only part i remember is the weird scene at the swimming pool. I was a kid once and never acted this way or saw boys act this way. I'll give it another flip through now that I'm an adult. But it was one of those painful to get through assigned books in English class. It was one of the worst I had to finish for school.

Catcher in the Rye was much better. Stone Angel was also fan
Ann
Apr 19, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
Near the beginning of this book there is a dream that contains a disturbing image that made me shy away from reading this story. The book is about a boy's loss of innocence and the retelling of the dream led me to believe it would be a different type of tale than it was.

It turned out to be a memorable coming-of-age chronicle about Hugh who lives in a small prairie town. The year is 1924 and the details make it sparkle with life. W.O. Mitchell knew how it felt to be a boy on the cusp of adulthood
Carol
Sep 05, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-fiction
I stopped writing book reviews for several years, but I can recommend W.O. Mitchell as he is always good.
Here is a quote that I underlined...
"Everybody gets scared," King said. "Nothing wrong with that. Main thing is -how do you handle it.
"How?" Peter said.
"By not thinking."
"I find that difficult to..."
"But it's right-you got to turn off thinking-right off-and do what you got to do. If you think about it, then you'll get more and more scared and more and more paralyzed. So-blank it out-
Stacy
Sep 25, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this, as I thought he was skipping around too much. Soon, I was laughing uproariously over his boyhood antics. After that, I was drawn into the intrigue and sadness of that summer. Although we may not have experienced the extreme events Hugh did, the childhood of all of us is captured in some way here.
Tawnya Roy
Oct 29, 2013 Tawnya Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this on CD while driving back and forth to work. The scene in which the kids dig the first cave had be roaring with laughter in the car. I am sure anyone driving past me thought I was nuts.
Lisa
May 22, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Roman à clef. Not my usual, but nice. I learned a lot because I had to use Google to look up about ten thousand terms. And by the way, did Stephen King steal from this for "The Body"? He definitely stole most of it for "It".
Shar Wallis
May 20, 2015 Shar Wallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book right after reading "Who Has Seen the Wind" by W.O. Mitchell. I have to say that I enjoyed this one even more!
Kathy Doll
Jan 29, 2013 Kathy Doll rated it really liked it
I can't believe I've never read this classic before. Lovely coming-of-age story by an icon of canadian literature.
Theresa
A Calgarian and a Windsor Professor, Wow, so many connections to the author, he seems to be a Truly canadian author, no pretense in his writing, which makes it worth while reading. a Classic
Megan C
Jul 24, 2010 Megan C rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lovely. I love the work of W.O. Mitchell. Quite truly.
Alex
May 22, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
My mom actually met W.O. Mitchell, and I have an autographed copy of this book.
It's not a very big paperback, and it does deserve a reread.
Alia
Alia rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Matt B
Matt B rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2007
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Darlene Stericker
Darlene Stericker rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Rick Scott
Rick Scott rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Clayton Bye
Clayton Bye rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Stuart Hunter
Stuart Hunter rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Heather Maclennan
Heather Maclennan rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Francis
Francis rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Lea-ann
Lea-ann rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
  • In a Glass House
  • Cape Breton Road
  • Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich
  • The Road Past Altamont
  • She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!
  • Down to the dirt
  • Die Erzählungen
William Ormond Mitchell was an author of novels, short stories, and plays. He is best known for his 1947 novel Who Has Seen The Wind, which has sold close to a million copies in North America, and a collection of short stories, Jake and the Kid, which subsequently won the Stephen Leacock Award. Both of these portray life on the Canadian prairies where he grew up in the early part of the 20th centu ...more
More about W.O. Mitchell...