Start by marking “Dhana: Kampf um Tortall (Dhana, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dhana: Kampf um Tortall (Dhana, #1)

Dhana: Kampf um Tortall (The Immortals #1)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  49,385 Ratings  ·  1,247 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Daine has always had a knack with animals, but it's not until she's forced to leave home that she realizes it's more than a knack -- it's magic. With this wild magic, not only can Daine speak to animals, but also she can make them obey her. Daine takes a job handling horses for the Queen's Riders, where she meets the master mage Numair and becomes his stu ...more
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1998 by Arena (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dhana, please sign up.

brittany No -- there's romance in this series, and the love interest IS introduced in this book, but it's a very slow build. Nothing (romantic) happens between…moreNo -- there's romance in this series, and the love interest IS introduced in this book, but it's a very slow build. Nothing (romantic) happens between them until book 4. (There's a reason for that, but I don't want to give spoilers!)(less)

Kogiopsis
I literally don't remember when I read my first Tamora Pierce book. All I can tell you is that it was Alanna: The First Adventure and it was probably an audiobook that my parents checked out for one of our infinite family road trips. I can't have been much older than, say, third grade at a stretch. After that first one, needless to say, I was addicted. (Yes, I read Lioness Rampant in elementary school. It was... educational. Then again, I was already into Pern by then, so...)

I also don't remembe
I loved this story when I was younger, and I’m so glad that it hadn’t lost its magic at all, even if I’m a bit older now!

I loved Daine in this book and how strong she was! She fought so hard to protect people, and her animal friends, even if she was a bit stubborn at times.

I also liked the storyline, even if I have read this multiple times before, I remembered everything that happened but it didn’t spoil the story for me at all! I loved the travelling, the training, the dragon and other magical
Khanh (the Grinch)
I hopped into this book hoping I would not be confused out of my mind. I have heard of her Tamora Pierce's other Tortall books, especially the enormously popular ones about Alanna, but the premise of those books didn't interest me. I hate to admit it, and this is terrible backwards of me, but books about cross-dressing, disguised characters do not interest me. This applies to manga as well; don't even get me started on how much I hated HanaKimi. This series about a young girl with animal magic s ...more
Catie
Aug 20, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Becca
Oh, these books are so lovely. These are like fairy tales for intelligent, empowered girls. The problems are black and white, the villains have simple motives, and the little girls are the heroes. I love every minute. And I will snatch these up for my daughters and say thank you very much.

These books are like middle grade or even elementary age fiction that’s been labeled YA, because they have mature relationships. And by mature relationships I mean young women choosing to be intimate with partn
Madeline
Oct 05, 2014 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a short break, I've returned to Tortall, and guys, it's great to be back. I decided to resume my long-overdue Tamora Pierce education for two reasons: first, the Immortals quartet was completely new to me (as a kid, I had a passing familiarity with the Alanna, Kel, and Aly series, having read a few chapters of each before abandoning them); and also I found out that my sister has all four of the books in one volume, so I stole it from her. Sorry, borrowed.

The first book takes place about te
Lyndz
I wish this book would have been around when I was about 11, I know it would have been one of my favorites. As it is, I wish I knew a 11-13 year old girl who loves to read so I could buy this for her. If anyone knows of one and will let me adopt her for about 15-20 minutes tops, let me know! :)

One thing I like to do with books is going into them completely blind with little to no idea what it is about. Tabula rasa style. I often don’t even read the back of the book. Some of the time this “tabula
Janina
So. I've read up to page 216 now and there isn't really anything that urges me to read on. I have heard so many good things about this book and Tamora Pierce's books in general come highly recommended by some of my Goodreads friends. But I fear that if I haven't found anything that makes me want to go on up until now, I probably won't find it in the next 150 pages either.

Please don't understand this as a discouragement to give Pierce's books a try - this is in no way a bad book, it's just not f
Arielle Walker
If you have read my other reviews, you will know that I am a huge Tamora Pierce fan, (though I am now perhaps a little older than her target demographic). However, despite this I am not blinded to the faults in her writing, something which I discovered in the disappointing recent release "Melting Stones"So trust me, The fact that I've given this book 5 stars is because I believe it to be truly deserving of each and every one of them.

I grew up on a diet of richly rendered fantasy books, which inc
kris
Mar 27, 2016 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[Also read 15 December 2007]

Veralidaine "Daine" Sarrasi applies to work with Onua, the horse-master of the Queen's Riders, in order to outrun her past. In doing so, she stumbles across a hawk-man named Numair Salmalin, a mage who senses in her great wild magic. Now Daine's got to grow the hell up because hiding her past is getting in the way of being the bestest magelet that ever maged.

1. Daine's breadth of magic and how good she was at wielding it grew tiresome. Where's the true conflict if ev
Wealhtheow
Sep 07, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Mercedes Lackey
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After raiders destroy her happy village, a young peasant girl named Daine joins up with the Queen's Own hostler. They travel to Tortall, having dangerous adventures along the way. Once in Tortall, Daine discovers she has Wild Magic, which enables her to communicate and control all animals. Despite the many attacks by monsters, this book lacks any narrative tension, probably because I actively dislike Daine.
R &
Jan 28, 2016 R & rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toxic-waste
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

Veralidaine Sarrasri--Daine to everyone who knows her--is thirteen years old, orphaned, and without a home. Her amazing rapport with animals gets her a job with a horsemaster named Onua, and the two women become fast companions during their arduous journey from Daine's homeland of Galla to the kingdom of Tortall, where they are to deliver their equine charges to the service of the Queen's Riders.

Along the way, Daine's gift for communicating with an
Jemcat
Aug 21, 2011 Jemcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was, in many ways, a book that stole my readers virginity.

I picked this up in the school library when I was eleven years old, ten years ago. The cover, matching the one I now own, was a spider with a mans head, and in no way appealed to me. But the first chapter, titled 'A girl with a pony' drew me in immediately. Thank God for my horse obsession, or I'd never have discovered these books, and this wonderful author.

It was my first fantasy book. It was my first book not directly related to ho
Levi Amichai
I read these all the time when I was a young teen---to the point where apparently I remember where all the italics were, even though my e-book didn't display the formatting properly.

This is one of those books that's forever lost to you if you don't first read it before age 14. The three star review is a compromise between my younger self (who would have given it 4 1/2) and my present self (who wants to give it a 1 1/2) in acknowledgement that I'm no longer the target audience.

First, Pierce's boo
Becky
Apr 07, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aaaaages ago but we just reread it for roommate reading time. Jasmine and I were SUPER stoked to introduce Andre to the world of Tamora Pierce.

"I dreamed I was a badger and woke up covered in bats! Also, we're being attacked."
"... can I hold one?!"

We had a great deal of fun making up a running commentary as we read.
"I want her to come live with me!" "Inappropriate, Numair!" "There would be no room for inappropriate, she brings home DRAGONS!"

It's just so fun! And so excellent! And so
Beth
Two stars, but that's not to say I didn't read this in one sitting, because I did. (Then again, it's not very long.) In order of least to most frustrating:

1. The note that "Like her predator friends, Daine ate meat" is pretty interesting. Definitely important to note and also - slightly weird? The later distinction that she can't eat anything she shifts to is even more important, because it tries to resolve the inherent contradiction between seeing these animals as friends and, you know, eating
Andree
Feb 09, 2016 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2016
Well, this stood up to my memory of it. I still prefer it to Alanna, I think. I just do. Something in Daine speaks to me more, or maybe I'm just a sucker for stories about people finding a home.

I enjoy Daine's relationship with the animals. I laughed at her crush on Jonathan. Onua is as awesome as I remember. I had forgotten how Numair is introduced in this. I forgot he could shape-shift. I giggled when I remembered. And the Stormwings are still suitably terrifying/creepy.

I do enjoy Numair and D
Amanda
Apr 27, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, buy-on-kindle
Wild Magic begins the second quartet featuring the land of Tortall. Although there are some familiar names in this novel - cameos from the Alanna quartet, such as Alanna herself, Jonathan and Thayet, George - a newcomer to the Tortall world could start here with absolutely no problems.

The level of reading is eight plus, I'd say. There are occasional moments of violence, as you'd expect from events in a feudal country that is beginning to descend into war, but nothing that I'd be worried about a
Lara
This is, by far, my very favorite series of Tamora Pierce's, and I think this is my fifth time reading through it. They're totally comfort books to me. I did read the Song of the Lioness series first, but I don't think you'd really have to in order to understand and enjoy this one, though that series is definitely good background reading for this one, and introduces several of the characters and concepts that show up here. It's the main characters in THIS series, Daine and Numair, that I really ...more
Morgan
Aug 03, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wasn't sure if I'd like this new series as much as the Alanna series but after the first few pages I did!!! Daine is a very different character but equally wonderful and I love Numair's flirty sarcasm. The animals reminded me of Redwall even though it's not quite the same but I liked all of them and seeing Daine interact. But let's be real, the best part? SEEING OLD BELOVED CHARACTERS EEEEEEEEEE. Every time one of them popped on the page (no spoilers from me) I fell more in love. I love seeing ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (10) times

Soooo this was the first book I ever read by Tamora Pierce. It was great. Incredibly great. I read it over and over and over again. I remember reading the new books in the series as they came out and they were sooooo good. Then I read Alanna, then I remember being enraged when Sandry's book came out and it was in a different universe, but I fell in love with those ones as much as I loved these ones. Tamora Pierce is awesome!!! Just sayin'~~~~~
2.5 stars. I'm sorry to say I didn't like this book as much as I wanted to. I love the Alanna series, but this one didn't come close to it. I had even forgotten that I've actually read this book many years ago. Even when I was a child and presumably a part of the main target group, the book didn't impress me too much. The writing is very poor, descriptions are weak and the introduction to the world and the story itself felt clumsy. I also found it a bit weird that almost every character in the b ...more
Katie
I don't know! This was never as special as Alanna to me and it still feels a bit THERE. It all seems to come somewhat easy for Daine. No idea what's going on with the plot.

I do like all the updates on the Alanna characters. And I like Daine!

(Why couldn't Daine have more friends her age??? The few that are there are SO minor.)
Shera (Book Whispers)
Hmmm. You know what? Wild magic should be up my alley. A girl who can talk with animals and isn't quite human herself. The animal speech is awesome! From hilarious, cute, to a little scary. The book moves swiftly! The cameos were awesome. It was too wonderful seeing my favorite characters again. Especially to seem them as happy couples. Oh, and their kids. So cute.

So why didn't it hit as hard as the The Song of the Lioness series?

Simple. Daine.

Alanna walked a perilous path. Between her magic
Crystal Starr Light
“If you look hard and long, you can find us. If you listen hard and long, you can hear any of us, call any of us that you wish.”

Daine is a 13 year old orphan when Onua, a civilian horse keeper for the Queen's Riders, finds her and hires her as an assistant. The pair travel to Tortall and meet up with Alanna the Lioness and Numair along with evil Stormwings. What is different about Daine and why are the Stormwings in Tortall?

A long time ago, I read "The Woman Who Rode Like a Man", mostly because
Lucille
Daine has always been good with animals. So, when she's on the run from her village and she meets a woman who needs help transporting a herde of ponies, Daine is happy to be of service. While on her journey, she realizes that the landscape of her world is changing. Creatures of old that shouldn't exist in her realm are appearing and spreading terror, and Daine is making enemies fast. She also discovers that her way with animals is more than just good intuition; she is blessed with wild magic, an ...more
Emma Michaels
Jul 19, 2010 Emma Michaels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After I finished the 'Song of the Lioness Quartet' the first time, I was anxious to read more about Tortall. At first I couldn't stop thinking 'But it isn't Alanna' for all of about a few pages before I was in love with Daine's story. She is someone who you can really relate to. She has such a sad background story that I won’t spoil but she is someone who you honestly feel with and her abilities only enhance the way that you grow to love her character. She is someone who has been through hard ti ...more
Gaby
Jun 13, 2013 Gaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Review originally posted on Queen Ella Bee Reads as part of PierceFest.

Daine. DAINE. Girl is my personal hero. I mean, she's this young girl whose whole world is completely destroyed by bandits, then she somehow pulls herself together and goes out to rebuild. That's when she meets Onua, who needs the help of someone who can help her wrangle ponies. So Daine, Onua and all of the animals begin the trek back to Tortall, where, UNSURPRISINGLY, the shenanigans begin.

What do these shenanigans entail?
Nada Sobhi
Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce is the first installment in The Immortals series. The story focuses on thirteen-year-old Daine, who has ‘a knack with animals’. She speaks to them with their mind.

With, her home destroyed and her family – mother and grandfather – killed, Daine leaves with her pony, Cloud, to find work and a place to escape those who killed her family.

She becomes Onua’s assistant and helps drive ponies and horses to Tortall (the capital of the Kingdom). On the road, the two women mee
Carlie
Feb 23, 2013 Carlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a feel-good fiction piece that doesn't suck? Snatch it up. It's classic fantasy in many ways and has some of the silliness of the genre: made up names, a manufactured religion, all the magic creatures of history in one place together etc. But it's fun and not astounding but solid and happy and warm.

I love that although she makes up a religion she doesn't spend pages wading through explaining it, it just is and we discover some bits of it organically and still wonder about a lot of i
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)

“Does your ma know you're this silly?" she demanded tartly.
He nodded, comically sad. "The few gray hairs she has on her head are my doing. But" — with an exaggerated change of mood — "I send her plenty of money, so she can pay to have them dyed!"
"I hope she beat you as a child," Onua grumbled.”
220 likes
“Never break a promise to an animal. They're like babies—they won't understand.” 187 likes