Private Wars (Queen & Country Novels)

Private Wars (Queen & Country #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Only Greg Rucka, the thriller genre’s most fearless writer, would dare create a spy so edgy, so explosive, so extreme, she should be rated X.

Tara Chace was once the most dangerous woman alive. And now that the international spy network thinks she’s as good as dead, she’s even more dangerous than ever.

Only one thing could coax Tara back into the game: a chance to vindicate...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

Eric
British special ops ace Tara Chace returns for a series of missions in Uzbekistan. [some HUGE spoilers ahead]

[Seriously. I'm giving the big finale away. You've been warned.]

After taking a couple years off to have a baby and brood over the death of the father (in the previous book, I inferred), Chace is roped back into the game for an off-the-books attempt to replace the vicious, rapey president of Uzbekistan with someone less evil.

The subtitle could have been "The Horrors of Torture". The reader...more
Matt
Ensiform
The second Queen & Country novel. Tara Chace briefly leaves the Minding game to care for her newborn daughter by the KIA Tom Wallace. But she’s not made for the quotidian life, and soon her D-Ops Crocker has her in Uzbekistan, on a mission to extract the dying President’s son, whose life is in danger from his power-hungry sister and her ex-KGB goons. Of course, there are secrets within secrets – even Crocker doesn’t know the real reason for the mission – and a small matter of some missing SA...more
Maddy
RATING: 4.0
PROTAGONIST: Tara Chace
OCCUPATION: Minder One (UK Intelligence)
SETTING: London; Uzbekistan
SERIES: #2 of 2

Tara Chace, Minder One, is the agent upon whom Paul Crocker, Director of Operations for the UK Secret Intelligence Service depends most heavily. However, during her last assignment in Saudi Arabia, she had a series of life-altering experiences which have changed her. She assumes (wrongly) that Crocker had a hand in the mess of that assignment; and upon her return when denied a lea...more
Josh
I've been a big fan of Greg Rucka's writing ever since he did work for DC Comics, writing stuff like Batman and Checkmate.

Nowadays, though, he does more stuff like this, and I have no complaints whatsoever about this.

This is a novel about Tara Chace, second in the series. Fresh off an incident in Saudi Arabia that saw the one man she loved die, she returns to England with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and... pregnant.

Deciding to keep the baby, she quits her position as Minder One in the SIS (...more
Lil Phil
Easily my favorite of the Queen and Country novels. I enjoyed A Gentleman's Game, but this is the novel where the characters and I really bonded. Private Wars is the second novel of a suspense spy thriller series that abandons the shiny novelty of its genre for grinding realism. Everyone, protagonists and antagonists, are multidimensional. This book contains a particularly grueling scene though that was so honest, I had to put the book down for a thirty minute emotional break.

The craftsmanship...more
Mhd
#2 in the series: Do not read this out of order! It starts with a twist I did not see coming. There's more graphic violence than I like and an awfully lot of detail repeated from #1 about the structure of British secret services. I like most of the characters and it's not very predictable. Unfortunately, the exciting and interesting scenes are interwoven with some very boring sections. I don't know if I'll read any more of these...maybe one more, but it better be more than a 3-star book. And, th...more
Billcorcoran
It's been ages since I read a great spy book and this one fits the bill. It had the perfect mix of action, ethical dilemmas, plot twists, and political maneuvering. That said I would not reccommend this book unless you first read the previous book "A Gentleman's Game." Although the agents are on a new mission in this book, there were events that occurred in the previous book that have huge effects on the lives of the characters in this book.
May
This is the second in the series featuring Tara Chace, one of the few female black ops operators in the British secret service. I thought the sequel was better than the original--the characters are better fleshed out, the plot was equally compelling, and the action well paced. If you are looking for a realistic and fast paced thriller, I highly recommend this series.
Clayton McMillen
Greg Rucka has once again blown my mind with a great Queen & Country story. The chaos of war, betrayal, broken hearts, and political disasters is captured in a way that only he can achieve. Speaking as a fan of the series, I can still honestly say I've never been let down by Rucka, the much-layered Tara Chace, or the frustrating, yet somehow very likable Paul Crocker.
Ann
I like the character of Tara Chace, Minder one with the British secret service (or whatever it is called) Greg Rucka uses a lot of acronyms and even though he provides a glossary, they are too similar to be intelligible. I can't really like the espionage components as I simply don't care much for this type of book, but this character is compelling.
Brent
Got to look up Uzbekistan now to find out what has transpired in this former Soviet republic (the setting for this fine spy novel)since 2005!
At one point, I realized the shared focus on spy administrator Paul Crocker was especially satisfying, as I now completely relate to bureaucrats.
Donovan
One of my favorite thriller writers - Portland writer Greg Rucka will keep you up late at night. This one didn't disappoint.
Carolyn
Girl kicking ass. (Good. Genre fiction. Lara Croft if she actually worked for the British secret service.)
Robert Hill
Sep 13, 2007 Robert Hill rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure story lovers
Fast pace, very believable with insight to a part of the world we are not accustomed to reading about....
Jerry Pinkard
Really enjoyed this one. Rucka remains one of my favorites. I only wish he did this more often.
George
Tara Chase would whip James Bonds ass up and down the Thames.
I would read anything Greg Rucka writes. The man is a storyeller.
I started this one - the sequel to A Gentleman's Game - years after I read the first, so I had to reacquaint myself with some of the characters and plot elements. But, I have to say, this one was easy to get into, even when I couldn't quite remember what had happened before.

Private Wars delivers on both its title and its premise. It's a chance for Tara Chace to get back into the world she was virtually removed from forcibly, and a way for a number of other characters to try to tie up their own l...more
Daniel Potter
Good one. Lots and lots of twists.
Aaron
May 01, 2007 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Greatness. Only Rucka.
Aili
Aug 03, 2008 Aili rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard core fans of the comics series Queen & Country
Dear Greg Rucka,

Congratulations. In the last chapter of this book you totally destroyed my sympathy for your main character. You may write more novels and comics starring Tara Chase, but you've systematically destroyed everything in her life that made her interesting. Now she's just a (physically, emotionally, and ethically) damaged shell, and I don't really have any interest in her further adventures.

...

Also, I'm used to reading Rucka's Queen and Country comics, where events can be illustrated...more
Theresa
Just didn't feel this one as much.
Mike Jozic
Good to se Chace, Poole, Lankford, Crocker and the gang again. A solid continuation of the Queen & Country comic book series in a different format. A solid spy thriller.
Teresa in Ohio
Read about 40 pages of it and gave up on it, I don't enjoy this type of story, but still a fan of his Atticus Kodiak series.
Barbara
Too violent for a book with a femail protagonist. Preposterous.
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 4
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 3: Unresolved Targets
  • The Cabal
  • Rough Justice
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 6: Rise of the Olympian
  • The Soldier Spies (Men At War, #3)
  • Metzger's Dog
  • Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Mirror of Love
  • The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton, #2)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • Superman: Infinite Crisis
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 5: The Counterfifth Detective
  • Minotaur
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Challenge of the Gods
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2

“The pistol had been one hell of a find, because it hadn't quite been what she'd thought it was at first blush. Not simply the S&W Mk 39, but rather a modified version of the same, the Mk 22 Mod 0, also called the "hush puppy". It was Vietnam-era, not the most reliable gun in the world, but wonderfully silent, not only equipped with a silencer to eliminate the sound of gunfire, but also with a slide lock, to keep the actual mechanical operation of the gun quiet as well. She'd test-fired the gun at the market before purchasing, and been stunned that it still worked. The Uzbek vendor had offered to sell it to her cheap.
"It's too quiet," he'd explained. "No one wants it."
Chace shut her eyes, half smiling at the memory.”
2 likes