Start by marking “Again (Hometown Memories #4)” as Want to Read:
Again (Hometown Memories #4)

Again (Hometown Memories #4)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Just when your life seems to be going exactly as planned; just when you think you are probably happy; and just when you think there will be no surprises, along comes the love you never knew you needed...

Jenny Cotton is having the time of her life as the head writer of daytime's only historical soap opera. But beneath her dashing sparkle is a vulnerable woman who can't seem
Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Again

What a Woman Desires by Rachel BrimbleJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesLove Unscripted by Tina ReberFriends Without Benefits by Penny ReidHeaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Romance with Actors/Actresses/Acting
41st out of 147 books — 67 voters
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnOutlander by Diana GabaldonBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWelcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie
Dear Author's Top 100 Romances
66th out of 100 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Brie C.
May 14, 2011 Brie C. rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

I came upon this book by accident; I was going through my parents’ library and found this one hidden under a pile of dust. I googled the book and since the reviews were great and the description sounded interesting I read it. Once I started it I couldn’t put it down.

The book is set in the world of soap operas. The hero, Alec, is a very famous soap opera star who after having a lot of troubles with his current show gets fired and starts working in ano
Tina
Nov 25, 2009 Tina rated it liked it
This is the second book in my Seidel glom.

Jenny Cotton is the writer/producer of a daytime soap called My Lady's Chamber. Alec Cameron is a soap star who left a more prominent soap (but less well written and less well received) to over the part in Jenny's soap opera.

A bit lighter in tone than Don't Forget to Smile but just as in that book where Seidel give insider details about life in Beauty Pageants, this one gets the same treatment with daytime soaps.

I enjoyed this book but only gave it thre
Gail
Dec 12, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. The hero is a daytime drama (soap opera) actor, heroine is the head writer for a historical Regency Era soap. The hero was working on a soap with a head writer who didn't understand the genre and didn't respect the audience, but because the hero's name was on the soap, he got blamed for the failure and got fired. The heroine wants him for her show, and he does a fabulous job coming in. This is an older book and it's not very long. I thought a little too much time was s ...more
Kathy
Nov 12, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Reminds me of that M. C. Escher lithograph of the two hands, in which one hand seems to have slipped through the barrier of a piece of paper to draw the other hand that is, um, drawing the other hand on the, er, actual paper. Um, now that I've written that I'm a little confused so this analogy may be flawed, but it made total sense in my head.

Jessi
I remember reading this book around the time it first came out and I enjoyed it greatly. Then it was reviewed by Janine at Dear Author and I wondered how much the story held up. Actually, pretty well.
This is as much a story about falling out of love as it is a romance. Jenny Cotton has been with her boyfriend, Brian, for a long time. 14 years. They moved out to New York City together and now she's the head writer on a soap that Brian stars on. But a new actor, Alec Cameron, is joining the show.
Rosy
Feb 27, 2016 Rosy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
My soap opera education consists of two things - a movie starring John Candy called Delirious, and watching General Hospital for about 3 months during my senior year of high school. My romance novel education is even more scant - a couple of Nora Roberts novels in high school.

If there’s anything I learned from the media I consumed after high school, it’s that soap operas and romances are often fodder for mockery, and unfairly so. Both genres are sometimes used pejoratively, with the not-so-subt
Linda
AGAIN is an unusual piece of fiction in regards to the plot itself and the way it was told. It had both strengths and weaknesses. First, the storyline was unusual; two male actors are both interested in the same woman who is the lead writer for the show they work on. It is a soap opera that takes place during Regency times. Now, I have never watched a soap opera in my entire life, but if I did a soap of this kind would intrigue me.

The head writer, Jenny Cotton, had an unusual upbringing. Her mot
Rachna R
Aug 28, 2013 Rachna R rated it liked it
I want to give it a higher rating, but 3.5 fits it right. I have to say the #1 reason I picked it up was the "working on a soap opera" angle, and on that count the book exceeded my expectations - that side of it was a lot of fun. The machinations of that business - not just TV business but soap operas specifically - and the kind of delight for it that was evident throughout the novel was rad, and if Seidel had left the story just at the soap opera behind-the-scenes and the way the characters int ...more
Anne Libera
Oct 19, 2015 Anne Libera rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-novels
This was a reread for me but a good one- the combination of old school soap operas, Regency romance, and Seidel's ability to create strong characters with recognizable behavior make for terrific pleasure reading.
Lizzie
More of that classic Seidel theme, working women using the office as a surrogate family, this time played out against the backdrop of a popular historical soap eerily reminiscent of Downtown Abbey. Seidel's craft is fascinating- we get a long chapter detailing our protagonist's romance with her childhood sweetheart, which helps explain why, years later, she's still with the pompous ass. We get a soap opera leading man hero whose desire to take responsibility and make things right stems in part f ...more
Rebecca
Dec 25, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A book set on a soap opera set, where soap opera imitates life and life starts to imitate soap opera. Very cleverly done. Ending was a little cheesy.
Allison
Jan 10, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun and smart with complex characters and lovely sentence-level writing. I see why it won the RITA. Even though it was first published 22 years ago, it doesn't seem dated.
Reading with Cats
I enjoyed this, but was annoyed when it's suggested that one character needs psychological help because she doesn't want kids. This part made me a bit rage-y.
Jeri
Jul 12, 2011 Jeri rated it it was amazing
This is my "go to" book when I am sick in bed and feel lousy. It is so well written that I can't help getting into the spirit of it and feel better! The plot is that there is a Regency daytime soap opera, with the actors, writers, and especially the creator of the show playing parallel roles. I love her books.
Mmeguillotine
Aug 24, 2013 Mmeguillotine rated it liked it
Lots of interesting world-building around the soap opera world, but not nearly enough relationship building between Jenny and Alec. I never got a sense of who they were in relation to eachother or why they fell in love with eachother. A big miss for me in that regard.
Jennifer Nennifer
Jan 22, 2008 Jennifer Nennifer rated it it was amazing
Kathleen is one of my three favorite living authors. I have never lent one to anyone who didn't like Kathleen, men and women alike. Some of her books are date because she wrote them years ago, but all are still very worth reading - even the Harlequins!
Rachel C.
Jan 21, 2009 Rachel C. rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-fic-romance
My third Seidel. The story is centered around the head writer and star actor of a Regency soap opera. The romance isn't as well developed as the other two I read, but the cast of characters is a lot of fun.
CLM
Jan 10, 2010 CLM rated it liked it
Recommended to CLM by: Jennifer Enderlin
Shelves: romance, soap-opera
Romantic fiction set in the world of a popular soap opera.

I enjoy Seidel's books except for her characters' unfortunate tendency to ramble in a pop psychology jargon that does not ring true.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Lizzzzy86
Lizzzzy86 rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Gladys Turner
Gladys Turner rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Kaitlyn Dunnett rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Kgrrl
Kgrrl marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Riley Tinney
Riley Tinney marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Hayden
Hayden marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Tmjj33ronataurreviews
Tmjj33ronataurreviews marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Stefan Mesch
Stefan Mesch rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • The Slightest Provocation
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Sunshine and Shadow
  • With This Ring
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Tempting Harriet (Sullivan, #3)
  • The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver, #1)
  • In the Midnight Rain
  • The Passions of Emma
  • The Portrait
  • The Parfit Knight
  • New Life (New Life, #1)
  • The Boyfriend School
  • Marry Me (Marrying Miss Bright, #2)
  • The Music of the Night (Night, #2)

Hometown Memories (4 books)
  • After All These Years (Hometown Memories #1)
  • Don't Forget to Smile (Hometown Memories #2)
  • Till the Stars Fall (Hometown Memories #3)