Start by marking “What Not to Name Your Baby” as Want to Read:
What Not to Name Your Baby

What Not to Name Your Baby

A handbook of baby names which advises parents against inappropriate and embarrassing names for their child. Features an alphabetical list of names to avoid, from Cosmo to Zelda and Bubbles to Flash.
Published March 1st 1996 by Ten Speed Press (first published February 1996)

To ask other readers questions about What Not to Name Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Not to Name Your Baby

Theophilus (Theo)
Aug 05, 2011 Theophilus (Theo) rated it it was ok
??? I guess I am supposed to make up my own commentary about the names included since there is no author commentary. Some of the names have obvious negative connotations, like Adolph, but I was left up in the air on many others. Why did the authors think these names should not be used? They may have had some humorous quips that would enhanced my reading experience. Why not Edna? or Gennifer? or Herbert? Perhaps I had too high an expectation to be entertained. Maybe there is a culture void I ...more
Sophie
Feb 18, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it
I'm not exactly sure what this is intended to be (or what to rate it!). It strikes me as either a gag gift, or a hint for relatives considering horrendous baby names. Maybe it was just an excuse to use photos of crying toddlers.

Actually it reminds me of a fictional character from one of my favorite books - his Japanese immigrant dad wanted a really 'American' name for his son, and named him after a gangster movie he saw on TV. The result? Dutch Matsumoto. Kinda backfired. Maybe the dad should h
Natalie Pietro
Feb 13, 2011 Natalie Pietro rated it liked it
Just by the cute baby on the cover I knew I should check this book out. It was a funny gag kind of book to make you laugh at the bad names people have named their babies. From Bubba to Zeon. Ginger to Popeye. Very quick read but it sure gave you some good ideas not to name your baby. I did enjoy the cute baby pictures of babies crying or sad faced because they were named something horrid. Yes I sure did listen and no my baby will not be named Fifi Apple. :-)
Sally
Jan 19, 2012 Sally rated it did not like it
This was supposed to be funny. Instead it was a simple, uninspired list juxtaposed with babies making faces. And the names weren't all bad, just seemingly one person's opinion. Stupid.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2011