Start by marking “Stone Alone” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Stone Alone

Bill Wyman

Stone Alone

During the height of the Rolling Stones' success, Bill Wyman kept a diary, recoding the churning chaos of the band's creative evolution, power plays, recording sessions, tours, romances, drug busts, and financial disarray. Stone Alone is a meticulous, shrewd and humorous look at the complex personalities of the Stones and the role they played in the startling cultural revo ...more
Paperback
Published September 16th 1991 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Alone, please sign up.

Michael Haydn Is there any reason why Bill Wyman should let me speak on my own behalf? Has Bill ever noticed the guitarist at Bonfire in JAWS? Does Bill Wyman…moreIs there any reason why Bill Wyman should let me speak on my own behalf? Has Bill ever noticed the guitarist at Bonfire in JAWS? Does Bill Wyman accept my compliments for being an ' outtasight bass player on Jumpin' Jack Flash, and Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, and Down Home Girl,' and all of the early Rolling Stones stuff??(less)

Thomas Strömquist
Probably as boring as a book about the Stones can get. Sure, there are some good parts, but these do not help, since most of the 600+ pages are taken up by Wyman whining. About how much more he meant and did for the band than was "officially recognized". And about his poor rewards; reports of his meager account holdings are so frequent that I was wondering if I was reading his financial statements rather than diary. But to make sure that we know that it is a rock'n'roll star we're reading about, ...more
Greg
Jan 23, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting insight into how Charlie, Bill and at the time Mick Taylor felt about the band under Jagger's ego and Richard's drug issues. The book plods on and eventually becomes boring "bitch" session of Wyman's many complaints coupled with his statements that everything he accomplished was wonderful and flawless. Wyman's relationship with a thirteen year old girl and his justification of it is covered in detail and it just comes off creepy. On the one hand Wyman attempts and somewhat succe ...more
Brooke
Jan 12, 2011 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
It took me over a year to read this, as it sat on my bedside table. This has got to be the most boring, uninspired rock autobio ever! I struggled to get through 2 pages a night. Bill's descriptions were so detached and disconnected, it was hard to tell how he felt about or reacted to anything. Where was the excitement (about the band's successes), the rage (about being marginalized), the guilt (about screwing around on each wife or girlfriend he had), etc.?!? I didn't think anyone could make the ...more
Steve
May 20, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on the Stones I have read by one who was there. Goes into meticulous detail about the early band, including lots of info on Stones' founder Brian Jones. Wyman is convinced that Jones was the leader of the band while Keith Richards in his book "Life" gives that accolade to pianist Ian Stewart. Having read many a book on the band, I am convinced that Wyman's view hits closer to the mark. Wyman, while not considered one of the three "frontline" Stones (Jagger, Richards, and Jones) neverth ...more
Rebecca Mattocks
I loved the honesty in this book. Being a huge Brian Jones fan as I am, I was over the moon that Mr. Wyman told it striaght forward about Brian and how he was delt a shady hand by the other stones. The cool thing is, that Mr. Wyman wasn't afraid to include Brian Jones faults also. An honest and complete account of the stones life as a group. Worth the read if you are a Stones fan. You will not be dissappointed!!
Alison
Oct 07, 2012 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did read it a few years ago and unfortunately came away with the impression that Bill Wyman was a complete tosser who was obsessed about money and trying to prove that he slept with more women than MJ. What a sad man.
Karen
Jul 22, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting history of the stones up to 1989. however, in his attempt to make his point about the financial hassles caused by poor management of the stones' business, wyman comes off as unbearably whiny, quoting us the paltry available balance figures of his bank account every other damn page. we get it, the stones fucked up your finances. but one or two examples would have sufficed to illustrate the situation. i wish i had kept a running count of every mention he made of his bank balance. if wy ...more
Scott Golden
Jan 08, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Meticulous" is the word. Wyman kept a daily diary throughout his entire 30-year tenure with the Stones, and this LONG book reads like a detailed recitation of what those years, especially that first decade in the 60's, was like. Keith's book has more emotion, but Bill's statistic-laden tome gives a clear sense of perspective to how crazy it was to be 'The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band'.
Mallory
Mar 01, 2007 Mallory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music nerds
I'd heard good things about this book but I found it dry. How is it possible that Bill Wyman took Rock and Roll and made it about as interesting as a Kleenex? There are so many better Rock and Roll books out there... you can skip this one.
Bill Baer
Sep 09, 2012 Bill Baer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great view from the eyes of the quiet Stone answers a number of questions about Brian Jones . A must read for Stones fans
Jen
Feb 19, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Not a big Rolling Stone's fan..had to read it for a class.
Julie Barrett
Good to read around the same time as Keith's memoir. Talk about two sides to a story!
Evan
Mar 19, 2017 Evan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bill Wyman's book is a data-heavy account of The Rolling Stones from inception through to the death of original member Brian Jones. His note-taking must have been obsessive. He was so busy bedding girls, you wonder how he found the time. On the whole, too many shagging details and not enough about the music. A must for fanatics.
Richard Barnes
Not as good as Keith Richard's book - but, for a Rolling Stones fan, still a great account of their early years.

I was a little disappointed that most of the book only covered the Stones up to the end of the sixties (although Wyman does provide a quick, one chapter overview of their whole career at the start of the book)- but perhaps this is the most important part of their story; the journey from the dreams of 3 young men (Brian, Mick and Keith) through rifts and changes to their place as the (s
K.C. Sivils
Dec 25, 2016 K.C. Sivils rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the Rolling Stones, music of the 60s and 70s and the development of pop culture in the 60s and 70s, this book is a must read.

Keith and Mick always draw the bulk of attention when it comes to the Stones. To read a history of the band written by a band member and not an outsider who is not the focal point of the media's attention is fascinating.

Wyman was, and evidently still is, the band's archivist. His attention to detail and the trove of primary sources he has to draw upon is
coki
Apr 21, 2008 coki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Salah satu buku keren yang dipinjemin temen waktu kuliah, terkait dengan The Rolling Stones. Mengisahkan perjalanan pribadi si penulis, Bill Wyman, yang juga pemain bass dari grup legendaris ini.

Beragam kegilaan ditemui di buku ini, yang menarik adalah kehidupan personal almarhum Brian Jones, mantan guitarist stones.

Walaupun gaya penulisan buku ini terlihat kaku, namun sangat nyata dan membuatnya asik untuk dibaca sampai abis.

lets rock n' roll..
Eric Hines
The Stones were my favorite band when I was just getting into music, so the subject matter is of interest to me, and this does seem to be a fairly honestly and fully told story. But Wyman could have used some more active help from his co-writer. Too many lists, too much repetition, not enough reflection. But not ruined by any means.
Carol Storm
Mar 09, 2015 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've ever read about the Rolling Stones -- bass player Bill Wyman not only was an eyewitness he carefully chronicled every concert and every recording session in dozens of scrapbooks covering more than twenty years!
Daniel
Sep 24, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has alot of fantastic info of a struggling band and the history involving the stones. The only downside is, the continuity of the book suffers along with the tangents Bill Wyman goes on trying to explain a certain situation.
Peter Metcalfe
Jan 21, 2014 Peter Metcalfe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Succinct and full of detail
William Masero
Aug 31, 2012 William Masero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, the best and most thorough book ever written about the Stones!! I must read for Stones fans.
Ron
Feb 05, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, autobiography
Thorough look at the Rolling Stones in the 1960's, from someone who lived it. The real jewel of this book are his remembrances of post-war England of the 1950's.
Sean
May 04, 2008 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you like the Stones, you would probably like this one. great insight on the band, Brian Jones gigs and personal life.
Stephen Barr
Mar 14, 2010 Stephen Barr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read although a bit one sided.
Lambi Lentakis
I enjoyed remembering what fun I had as a Stones fan, growing up in the "swinging London" of the '60s. However Bill is my least favourite Stone & his listing of all his expenses tended to grate.
Craig
Sep 08, 2008 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less facts, more insight please (but oh, what facts).
Markku
Oct 02, 2016 Markku rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting perspective to the topic with an incredible number of details, of least interesting is the number of women he has seduced and the state of his bank account at each moment.
Althea
Apr 21, 2009 Althea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-bios
Very detailed account of the early days of the Rolling Stones by Bill Wyman.
Gayle
Nov 12, 2011 Gayle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a car park when I was about 20. Haven't as yet read it, maybe never will, but its still there on the bookcase.
Marvin
Jul 15, 2015 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No opinion, did not like it.
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones
  • S.T.P.: A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones
  • Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
  • Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: The Story
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Stoned