Start by marking “Ghost Town: Tales of Manhattan Then and Now” as Want to Read:
Ghost Town: Tales of Manhattan Then and Now

Ghost Town: Tales of Manhattan Then and Now (Writer and the City)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
One of our most celebrated writers tackles one of our most celebrated cities.

In the newest addition to the Writer in the City series, acclaimed novelist Patrick McGrath presents three stories about New York City spanning three centuries. "The Year of the Gibbet" tells the tale of a young boy during the American Revolution, whose mother is hanged for defying the British ar
Hardcover
Published September 6th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Town

Simay Yildiz
For English, please visit CommunityBookStop.
Bu yazının orijinali canlabirsene'de yayınlandı.

"Aslında hiçbir şehir bugün gördüğümüz şehir değildir."

Bu, her şehir için doğrudur muhakkak. Ancak New York gibi her dönem renkli, tuhaf, canlı; hiç uyumayan, üzerindeki insanların sürekli koşturduğu, kimsenin birbirini takmadığı ama ellerinde bira şişeleri olduğunda tüm yabancıların kankaya bağladığı şehirler kim bilir neler görmüş, geçirmişlerdir. İşte Patrick McGrath böyle bir yolculuğa çıkarıyor okuru
JJ Aitken
This book fell off the shelf as I was heading home one night. Of course I was actually between books so I took it home to have a look. I had never previously read anything by this author so decided to give it go. This is great modern gothic fiction by a writer who is really worth following. Anyone who likes the work of David Cronenberg would like to know that this is the author of (Spider) that was then turned into the film of the same name by Cronenberg in (2002). Three wonderfully told tales b ...more
Jocelyn
Aug 01, 2015 Jocelyn rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who want their jimmies rustled
Ghost Town: Tales of Manhattan Then and Now is a collection of three short stories written about different times in New York City's history. The first story is set during the American Revolution, the second story is before and after the American Civil War, and the third story set just days after 9/11.

First off, I want to say that these stories only feature NYC as a backdrop, so there's no real sense that you're even in Manhattan for the first two; the stories could literally be anywhere if you c
Steph
Feb 03, 2014 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McGrath is simply one of my favourite modern authors – I save his books for a moment when I know I have time to really sit and relish them and savour his poetic language and the dark worlds he unfailingly creates. ‘Ghost Town’ was no exception.

It is actually three separate stories connected by location. First there is the story of a man haunted by the memory of his mother and her involvement in the revolutionary activities against the British during the American Civil War of Independence
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Se posso consigliarvi, non iniziate a leggere McGrath da questo libro; è bello, per carità.. Ma sono tre racconti e nonostante la sua bravura, l'autore non riesce ad esprimersi al meglio.. Questo libro può essere gustato e apprezzato dopo aver letto i suoi romanzi, "Follia" e "Grottesco " prima di tutti.
Detto ciò, torniamo a noi! :D
Protagonista indiscussa di due dei tre racconti è senza ombra di dubbio New York, da cui poi anche il titolo della raccolta. E' una New York presa in esame a diversi
Lizzie
This is a small one, not sure why it took so long to read. Think I dragged my feet a little.

Thing one: these aren't ghost stories. I thought they were kinda gonna be, but it's ok. Ghostly, though. They're foremost historical fiction (a pretty superb ingredient for ghost stories, but oh well), and very enthusiastic ones. Lots of street names, neighborhood. One I used to live in, so well-appreciated. From the earliest story: "Like my mother I am loath to flee the town at the first sign of trouble.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 27, 2009 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘All my life I have lived in New York.’

Three short stories in this book: different time periods, different events. Each story has its own ‘ghosts’, all are set in New York.

In ‘The Year of the Gibbet’, a man is haunted by the memory of his mother standing under a gibbet with a rope around her neck. It is the American War of Independence and, as she has defied the British forces occupying New York, she must pay. Fifty years later, and about to die himself, her son still feels guilty for his inadve
Cristi An
May 09, 2014 Cristi An rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mondolibri
Adoro alla "Follia", McGrath..e seppur in questo vi siano 3 racconti, che ho sempre ammesso di amare poco e niente rispetto al romanzo, McGrath fa si che lo si ami anche in questa tipologia di scrittura. Lui e un grande, scrive di cose enormi con un linguaggio piccolo e semplice. E' una sua grandissima dote questa.
Comunque, bellissime, la seconda in particolare, tutte e tre le storie narrate.
poingu
The third of the three novellas in this book, "Ground Zero," is a shattering gem. A Manhattan psychiatrist giving an obsessively narrow account of her treatment of one of her patients; the way she continues to focus on helping him with the same trivial problems in his life, both before and after the day the world trade center falls, is mysteriously riveting. Somehow McGrath captures, through the psychiatrist's refusal to confront the aftermath of 9/11, exactly the horror and strangeness of those ...more
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Quando parliamo della New York post-11 settembre non si può fare a meno di imbattersi in mostri sacri della modernità letteraria, uno per tutti De Lillo. Poi però, accanto al non-plus-ultra che fa tanto moda & chic citare sempre, troviamo approcci più classici, meno "spettacolari"; quasi come osservare lo stesso mondo, che l'industria culturale si affretta a celebrare in primis sul mercato, da una nicchia appartata e con sguardo impacciato, quasi timido...

Mark
Apr 04, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm excited to have found Patrick McGrath. He's a brilliant story teller. All three of these novellas are packed with suspense, character, emotion, action and a dash of the horrofic all executed with dextrous economy. I loved all three but the last one "Ground Zero" still has me shuffling its pieces around in my head. I was anticipating the book to be ghost stories. Instead it's a book about being haunted. Much more effective. Can't wait to read more of his work!
Joel
Jul 22, 2009 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trio of stories - the first one, alas, is slight and bogged down by a surfeit of historical details that diffuse its focus. The second tale is solid, even if it does revisit familiar territory and doesn't quite resonate as intended - it's close but ultimately refuses to take off. The third is where the book truly comes alive - the narrative voice is masterful, McGrath close to the peak of his powers.
Kris
Feb 12, 2012 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book of three short stories took a really innovative approach to 9/11: it began in the early 1800s with the loss of a mother in colonial America (terror of the British), moved through the late 1800s/early 1900s with the loss of a lover (terror of new money in America), and ended up at Ground Zero with all of its terrors. It was really a really interesting approach to the topic of terror in New York.
Kasandra
I've always liked McGrath's writing, but these stories didn't move me as much as many of his past works. I really enjoyed the first story in this trilogy, but the 2nd was kind of average, and the 3rd was just annoying. Not the best introduction to his writing, probably this is a book that will appeal mostly to his big fans and those New Yorkers who enjoy reading about their fictionalized city.
Sue
Oct 13, 2008 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprising treat. Just saw it, oddly enough, in a cool book store in Berkeley and was intrigued. Three novellas set in new york, dealing with loss and tragedy-the ghosts we carry from events, relationships etc.. The three stories bring to life a NY during the american revolution, the city during the mid-1800s and NYC on/after Sept.11th. A quick but fulfilling read.
Jane
Sep 27, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are three stories in this book, but I only read the first one. It was due back at the library and I didn't feel the first story was good enough to merit me renewing it to read the other two. It was set in revolutionary Manhattan, which sounds interesting, but not enough history was put in there for me to feel the author really knew what the area was like at the time.
MN
Apr 23, 2013 MN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this collection of short stories twice through without a break. the writing is exceptional: sharp and clear and uses a subtle change in voicel; the tales promise to hover on the edges of consciousness for days. This is haunting story-telling in just about all senses.
Chris
Oct 13, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this volume when I heard that my friend Isaac might have McGrath as a writing teacher. Of the three stories, "Julian" is the standout. Fascinating characters and a good 19th-century Henry James-type story.
Doug
Aug 26, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers three distinct periods of New York City while not skimping on McGrath hallmarks: psychology, memory, family, and the rich subtext dwelling between the narrator's recounting and the actual events.
Lynne Woodcock
May 26, 2009 Lynne Woodcock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book of three tales set in New York. Beautifully written these gothic stories chart the life of New York from struggles for independence to post 9/11 anxieties. I highly recommend it.
Jaksen
Jul 27, 2012 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only been to NYC twice in my long life, but I loved this book. These three short stories absorbed me for all of one afternoon. Now I will be looking for McGrath's novels and more of his shorts.
Jessica
Apr 16, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the book which is talked about nine ane ane.
I think everyone will love this book very much.
Don't scared!It doesn't talk about about ghost.
Lyman
Sep 07, 2007 Lyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for the NYC lover. Should read in conjunction with Michael Cunningham's "Specimen Days"
maria
Jul 21, 2008 maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 short stories.
Molly
Sep 02, 2008 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Sean Durham
Sean Durham is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2016
Mark Monastyrski
Mark Monastyrski marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Roberto Spampinato
Roberto Spampinato marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • The Steppe and Other Stories, 1887-1891
  • Typhoon and Other Tales
  • Florence: A Delicate Case
  • The Signalman & Other Ghost Stories
  • Wildwood
  • The Springs of Affection
  • Tales of the Tikongs
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)
  • Star Over Bethlehem and Other Stories
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
  • How to Read a Novel
  • Looking for the Possible Dance
  • 30 Days in Sydney: A Wildly Distorted Account
  • See Them Die (87th Precinct #13)
  • A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies
  • The Night Inspector
  • Deadfall Hotel
  • A Few Green Leaves
Patrick McGrath was born on 7th February, 1950 in London and grew up near Broadmoor Hospital where his father was Medical Superintendent. He was educated at Stonyhurst College. He is a British novelist whose work has been categorized as gothic fiction. He is married to actress Maria Aitken and lives in New York City.
More about Patrick McGrath...

Writer and the City (7 books)
  • 30 Days in Sydney: A Wildly Distorted Account