Start by marking “Eccentrics: A Study of Sanity and Strangeness” as Want to Read:
Eccentrics: A Study of Sanity and Strangeness

Eccentrics: A Study of Sanity and Strangeness

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
From 1859 to 1880, Joshua Abraham Norton thought he was Emperor of the United States. Ann Atkin keeps 7,500 garden gnomes in her backyard. Brooklyn artist Peter McGough dresses and acts as if it were 1895. These are just a few of the eccentrics discussed by Dr. Weeks, the world's foremost expert on the subject.
Published October 15th 1996 by Kodansha (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Eccentrics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eccentrics

Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
The historical review is probably one of the more interesting parts. The study seemed to have such a broad view of eccentrics it was hard to draw any conclusions. The scientific parts are sometimes interesting but many times a bit pointless. Some very good writing in here and I suspect it comes from the co-author Jamie James. The whole theory of a social mutation, that is the eccentric is society's way of experimenting with norms is a fascinating little tidbits. Indeed, one of many tidbits that ...more
Chandrashekar Gangaraju
Jan 23, 2016 Chandrashekar Gangaraju rated it it was amazing
I am grateful to the service user who gave this book to the Consultant Psychiatrist that I was working with a couple of years ago. I found it interesting and bought my own copy.

This book is a product of psychological research on over a thousand eccentrics. It is an absolute joy to read. It is packed with facts and quotes with some interesting details about people from history that I did not know. Some descriptions are very funny and some you would think are just unbelievable.

The authors state
Charles Berman
The strength of this book is that it is highly entertaining. Large sections of it are taken up by reportage of unusual people in history deemed eccentric by the writers, and present-day interesting personalities they have encountered. The compiled details of of these extraordinary people automatically make for diverting reading.

Unfortunately the data is gathered in the service of a psychological study with a subject, goals, and conclusions that all seem extraordinarily ill-defined. The writers
Aer Bluewilson
I'm conflicted on this book. I like it because it is very interesting and I enjoy the positive and lighthearted way the Mr. Weeks approaches his study. At the same time, I feel that the study may not be organized well,and that the he didn't do a lot of exploring into some of the subject's reasons for certain "quirks", like the lady who was a kazoo player and refused to throw away anything, she hoarded. I do agree that doctors are too quick to give a diagnosis to a person sometimes who maybe just ...more
Maxo Marc
Nov 25, 2014 Maxo Marc rated it it was amazing
This book illustrated that comformity and uniformity stagnates society different must be embraced and celebrated no matter public opinion.
Benito
Aug 27, 2008 Benito rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the writing in this first ever scientific study of eccentric personalities can be a bit stuffy at times it's worth ploughing through this tome for the fascinating tales of feather-brained freaks such as the King Of San Fransisco, who brought joy to thousands everyday, including himself, through letting his perculiarities flow freely.

Interesting to note that empirical studies by the authors show show that freaks live longer, happier lives than other people in the community. So there's so
Mario
Oct 05, 2012 Mario rated it really liked it
Insightful book on eccentrics written by scientists, not journalists. An interesting journey in the mind of the eccentric based on the centuries-long sampling compiled by the authors. An informative comparison of eccentric behavior with the "normal" or conventional behavior at each time a given eccentric lived, as well as a comparison with signs of mental illness.

Excellent book. I'm almost done reading it.
Toni
Dec 20, 2012 Toni rated it liked it
Shelves: science
An easy-to-read popularisation about a big (perhaps the first) study on eccentrics. Has some drawbacks, sure (see other reviewers), but it does convey an important message about respect towards abnormality. With many case examples, the book even made me think that, as a society, we should cultivate our quirks, be honest with ourselves as a way to more fulfilling life.
Katherine
Eccentrics is an enjoyable work, filled with amusing anecdotes of dozens of eccentrics. The book's flaw is in its science. As the authors readily admit, there hasn't been much of any study into eccentricity, so they made much of it up on the fly. While there were a few interesting findings, the majority of the non-anecdotal writing is quite humdrum.
Debbie
Apr 20, 2015 Debbie rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but overall the conclusions drawn simply weren't compelling enough to overcome the, "OMG, who CARES?" factor which is probably why I will never be a scientist.
Amber
Aug 10, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it
When you do something dumb & your friends are rubbing it in or you just keep letting it bring you down, I want you to remember this: Sir Isaac "Gravity" Newton was hugely into alchemy.

Chances are, people will forget how spectacularly dumb you were & will eventually only remember the important stuff.
Mark Hundley
Jan 22, 2009 Mark Hundley rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I read this because it was published by Kodansha Globe, a publisher that I grew to enjoy. Fascinating study of famous eccentics including Joshua Norton, the emperor of North America, the famous Patch Adams and a host of lesser known people with questionable sanity.
rachel
Jan 16, 2008 rachel rated it it was ok
The "science" of this book bothered me. I can't tell whether the study was crappy to begin with or whether it was dumbed down for popular press. The book would have been more enjoyable if it stuck to character profiles and didn't try to make scientific claims.
Tim
Oct 19, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book when I read it. Should have been 4 stars but i had to give it 5 because Emperor Norton grew up in Grahamstown, the town in South Africa where I studied.
Shayne
Apr 19, 2012 Shayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I enjoyed hearing about the eccentrics encountered in the study, but not nearly as much fun as an Oliver Sacks.

Did decide to nurture some more eccentric aspects of my own life.
BLACK CAT
Sep 25, 2011 BLACK CAT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, brain, eccentrics
COOL AND INTERESTING PEOPLE ANALYZED FOR THE FIRST TIME FROM A SCIENTIFIC PERSPECTIVE. IT DEFINES ECCENTRICITY FROM A PSYCHOLOGICAL VIEW.
Leah
Dec 24, 2013 Leah rated it liked it
A little light on the scientific side, but an interesting read nevertheless.
Mike
Jul 23, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
Quite fascinating, though more a series of anecdotes than the presentation of a scientific study.
Ron
Aug 08, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing
A fun read that always makes it a little easier to walk through my beloved Willy 'hood.
Eucryphia
Jul 26, 2007 Eucryphia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty tasty oddities. Not quite as eccentric as you might hope, however.
brynntenenbaum
Feb 02, 2015 brynntenenbaum rated it liked it
Fine
Katie Muffett
Jan 30, 2008 Katie Muffett rated it liked it
People are crazy. If you need proof, read this.
Jessica
Sep 22, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok
I had greater expectations for this book...
LL
LL rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2016
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Susan K
Susan K rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Cameron Joye
Cameron Joye marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
  • The English Eccentrics
  • Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children
  • A History of Western Art
  • Afterlife: An Investigation
  • Obsessive Love: When It Hurts Too Much to Let Go
  • The Beast: A Journey Through Depression
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • Odysseus in America: Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming
  • The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, And The Human Condition
  • Schopenhauer's Porcupines: Intimacy And Its Dilemmas: Five Stories Of Psychotherapy
  • This Book Has Issues: Adventures In Popular Psychology
  • The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)
  • Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
  • A Treasury of Deception: Liars, Misleaders, Hoodwinkers, and the Extraordinary True Stories of History's Greatest Hoaxes, Fakes, and Frauds
  • The Immortalists: Charles Lindbergh, Dr. Alexis Carrel, and Their Daring Quest to Live Forever
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche