Start by marking “Home Improvement 1-2-3: Expert Advice from the Home Depot” as Want to Read:
Home Improvement 1-2-3: Expert Advice from the Home Depot

Home Improvement 1-2-3: Expert Advice from the Home Depot

The first edition of "Home Improvement 1-2-3" quickly became a workbench classic. The new editionawith 340 projects, 3,500 color photographs, and more than 100 illustrations, charts, and graphsaoffers up-to-the-minute solutions for homeowners tackling home repair, maintenance, and improvement. Chapters cover painting, wallpaper, plumbing, electrical system, walls and ceili ...more
Published March 15th 2003 by Home Depot(r)

To ask other readers questions about Home Improvement 1-2-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Improvement 1-2-3

Tammy
May 13, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to-house
Covers a wide range of home improvement topics from painting to plumbing to building a wall. Has step by step instructions with photos and includes a list of tools that you will need before you start. There are a few new products out there that aren't mentioned in this edition that may give some people alternative solutions. But I found it handy, concise and informative. Though I grew up with parents that can fix anything, my job was assisting them by bringing tools, cups of hot coffee or iced t ...more
Jay Edgar
Apr 01, 2012 Jay Edgar rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who owns a home and wants to do some work themselves
Yes I really read this book cover to cover (well, I must admit I didn't really read the chapter on wallpaper--too crazy-making). I bought this book right after I bought my house. It's a wonderful reference. What I really enjoyed most about reading it was that I learned I had much more capability to change what I wanted about my house if I chose too. And I did! I ended up pulling up all of the carpeting and installing hardwoods, installing a new roof (with help), painting, doing some plumbing, et ...more
Jared Brzenski
Aug 17, 2011 Jared Brzenski rated it really liked it
An indispensable book for common fixit items around the house. It gives the details and reminds you what wires are positive and negative, how far apart to put clamps when running pipes, and a time estimation so you can guess how long it will take you to finish the project.

O do not think this book is made for someone who knows nothing about what they are doing. But, if you have an idea of what needs to be done, and just need some guidelines, gentle reminders, or tricks, this is the perfect book.
Bryce
Mar 03, 2009 Bryce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all wanna-be builders
I've built three basements from scratch (except the foundation) and this is the only book I've ever needed. EVERYTHING in the book has step-by-step instructions and very good illustrations for each step. It's only about a $20.00 book, but it'll save you LOTS more than that by not having to hire people to do the work for you. It's great for 'Do-it-yourself' jobs around the house too. Just an all-around excellent book.
Megan
Jan 07, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
When my husband & I bought our home, my younger brother gave this to us as a Christmas present with the note, "If it's not in this book, don't do it!" This book helped him remodel & repair his home :)

Very easy to read, step-by-step instructions that any moron or novice can follow. Great photos, and tips included throughout. Some home improvement projects can be pretty scary, but this book makes them seem less intimidating. A fantastic resource for all skill levels.
Anita Byrne
Jul 05, 2011 Anita Byrne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I know about home remodeling starts here. The instructions have always worked for me to get the job done. Trial-and-error is for the birds. Just study up and do it right.

Also, there were many things I didn't know I needed until I read this book... Like a bath fan for example. Required by building codes and a great improvement in bathroom quality!
Martine
Apr 21, 2009 Martine rated it it was amazing
This is great resource for visual learners. Step-by-step instructions and photos on over 340 home improvement projects. It aslo includes a Skill Scale that tells you what level of competency is needed to complete the project. This is a great inexpensive gift for young people starting on their own. I wish I had this 26 years ago when I set out to learn things the hard way!
Elizabeth Webber
Oct 23, 2013 Elizabeth Webber rated it it was amazing
We use this book all the time. It has saved us tons of money and headaches with simple instructions and practical advice on how to fix, replace, and improve common things in the house. If you are planning to do any work yourself or if you own your own home this book is great. I was really surprised at what I could successfully repair on my own.
Hoopidnew
Jul 01, 2008 Hoopidnew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the handy person of the home
This book gave me the courage to do the impossible: I renovated my kitchen without any prior how-to knowledge or experience, and virtually no help from anyone. The end result was so impressive and confidence-boosting that I have gone on to do several other projects. The pictures, step-by-step instructions and warnings helped me to realize how easy the work is and how to avoid common mishaps.
Wendy
Jan 09, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Seriously the best overall home-improvement book around. I bought it when I bought my condo, and I can't count how many times I've referred to it. With this book and a good local hardware store, you can tackle just about every basic home repair - and also know when you're getting out of your depth and need to call a pro.
Beth
Sep 19, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Meh, OK for beginners, but once you've torn 1/2 your house down & rebuilt it this book isn't very helpful. Nate likes it though, and I'm pretty sure he could lay a tile floor on his own.

I don't have much to do at work today. Well, nothing that isn't boring.
Kara
Jun 20, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is awesome! It is a great gift for anyone, especially new home owners. I have learned how to do plumbing and electrical work. It gives realistic timeframes and simple instructions. One of the best $20 I have ever spent! I use it all the time.
Paul
Feb 22, 2008 Paul rated it liked it
They make everythings so neat and step-by-step, even someone with all thumbs could tear out and rebuild a bathroom...$4000 later this book is money well spent.
Iain
Sep 15, 2012 Iain rated it really liked it
The orange Home Depot book, better than I'd expected. Has plenty of good tips, relevant photos, and building code notes 2008 edition.
Carl
Apr 01, 2008 Carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Awesome "How To" book. I use it every day on my rentals and flips!
Jonathan
Jul 27, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-copy, misc
just enough information to get you in trouble
Chrysi
Aug 23, 2008 Chrysi rated it it was amazing
Fist time home owner and it's a fixer-upper? Great book for the do-it-yourself minded person.
Richie Miranda
Feb 03, 2012 Richie Miranda rated it liked it
Very informative!
Ben Visel
May 06, 2007 Ben Visel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: do-it-yourselfers
This book is amazing. I have used it for many projects.
Marty O'Brien
Jan 30, 2008 Marty O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Excellent how-to book. A sort of DIY encyclopedia.
Teddee
sections only
Paul
Sep 02, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing
When it comes to most household projects, I am a complete neophyte. With this book in hand, however, I am just like Ty Pennington (except I generally prefer working with my shirt on).
Mark Adle
Mark Adle rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
susana garcia
susana garcia rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Jennifer Alton
Jennifer Alton rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2008
Mark Zieg
Mark Zieg rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2008
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Timber Floor Sanding and Polishing Brisbane 1 2 Jun 05, 2015 05:07AM
Hotel Suppliers 1 2 May 06, 2015 01:30AM
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual
  • Creating the Not So Big House: Insights and Ideas for the New American Home (Susanka)
  • Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?: Surviving Away from Home
  • Let's Go: Europe 2007
  • Histology: A Text and Atlas: With Correlated Cell and  Molecular Biology
  • Uncle John's Giant 10th Anniversary Bathroom Reader
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
  • Schott's Almanac 2007
  • Lawn Gone!: Low-Maintenance, Sustainable, Attractive Alternatives for Your Yard
  • France