Finding God in the Questions: A Personal Journey

Finding God in the Questions: A Personal Journey

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Do you wonder whether or not God is real? Do you doubt that religion can be relevant? Do you wish that faith were possible for you? Don't shy away from your questions, says Dr. Timothy Johnson, medical editor for ABC News. He believes that's where God meets you--in the midst of honest grappling with heartfelt issues. In this remarkable book, Dr. Johnson discloses his deepl...more
Published April 16th 2004 by IVP Books (first published March 31st 2004)

Janet
p.66 This drive for relationship, not just for sex, is a universal characteristic of human nature. We spend much of our lives consumed with desire for an intimate relationship that will satisfy all our needs, emotional as well as physical...We know that physical touch has extraordinary power to increase well-being, and the lack of it jeopardizes well-being. Studies show that happily married couples enjoy better health and longer lives than singles or unhappily married individuals.

The Chalcedonia...more
Darren Sapp
Dr. Timothy Johnsons offers a sincere and personal perspective of his faith journey asking several questions most of have asked and continue to ask. Free of deep theological terms, readers will find his writing pleasant but some of his conclusions are weak on Biblical foundation. Rather than considering the whole council of God, he mostly cites the teachings of Jesus. While Jesus' teachings are certainly true they are not the whole truth and there are numerous other passages ignored that speak d...more
Kaishauna
This is the first book I read when I rededicated my life to Christ. It's an excellent book in laying out the big questions and answering them in way that is extremely academic and encouraging. Coming out of college, it's really hard to get past some of the bigger questions, like does God exist, what about the universe, what about Jesus, or the witnesses, etc.? There is so much scientific data and historical records to answer these questions without a doubt for anyone who has an ear to hear it. I...more
Andy Kline
Great arguments for the existence of God expressed in simple terms. Dr. Johnson is a humble man in many ways, but he seems to reject the traditional view of the inspiration of scripture, and he certainly rejects the atonement of Christ as God's only plan for reconciling mankind to Himself. I'm interested in his recommended reading section.
JJ
This book started out pretty good and went a little downhill from there. Since it is so much of the authors personal journey I felt it wasn't as in depth as I would have liked. It is clear he did a lot of reading to formulate his thoughts and I appreciate the help with my own journey through the questions. Very worth reading!
Larry Martin
Not all that I had hoped, but helpful. Certainly not traditional faith based theology, but inspiring if you are comfortable with idea that questioning our beliefs can make us stronger. Maybe we are not judged by the answers we profess, but by the questions we ask.
Judy Cox
I enjoyed the scientific information in the first few chapters of this book. Other than this, the book is very forgetable. I was surprised how little I found interesting in the book, especially since I, myself, have so many unanswered questions about God.
Amy
I liked this book overall, but probably because Dr. Johnson's beliefs are so similar to my own. It wasn't as much apologetics as I had hoped it would be, though it was reaffirming.
Sandi
Jan 27, 2008 Sandi added it
Need to open our hearts and ask quesstioins to charge our hearts.
How we are to live justly in a human way.
How can we focus on a much bigger picture than just on our daily existenc.
I listened to this one in the car. It was abridged. Had some interesting points, but it seemed pretty light. Maybe the full text would be more in depth.
Gregory Byerline
An honest and candid exploration of one's own doubt, faith struggle, and resolution through the lens of a medical scientist who embraces the eternal.
Christina M. H. Powell
Christina M. H. Powell is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Kedre James
Kedre James marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Tim Watson
Tim Watson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Feb 15, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Carol Culbreth
Carol Culbreth marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Paris Mallon
Paris Mallon marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Truth About Getting Sick in America: The Real Problems with Health Care and What We Can Do Doctor!: What you should know about health care before you call a physician Dr. Timothy Johnson's on Call Guide to Men's Health: Authoritative Answers to Your Most Important Questions