Start by marking “A Party In San Niccolo” as Want to Read:
A Party In San Niccolo

A Party In San Niccolo

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An entrancing story that is one of the most absorbing examinations of the English in Italy since A Room With A View. Set during one week in springtime Florence, A Party In San Niccolo follows the events leading up to the seventy-fifth birthday party for Frances Richardson, a much-loved English resident. Around her, Frances' friends are gearing up for the party too: Frank, ...more
Paperback
Published 2003 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about A Party In San Niccolo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Party In San Niccolo

LindyLouMac
This is a thriller with a realistic Italian background, although as first published in 2003 there are a couple of points that remove it from the 21C and the Italy that we know. The lira is no longer the currency and the wave of immigrants, although still a big problem, as I expect many of you reading this are aware, will often be of different nationalities to those featured. The depth of description of the ex-pat community in Florence reminds me in some ways of A Room With A View, although this ...more
Pat
Aug 03, 2014 Pat added it
A long dragged out story. After 300 pages I finally got into the plot. Too many characters and too much description for my likes.

The story is bassed in Florence and around Sienna. She doesn't have the locations in the right order, but then she probably has NEVER been there.
Italo Italophiles
A Party in San Niccolo is well-written in a stately, traditional style. It rotates point-of-view using a 3rd person limited perspective, letting us enter the heads of the various characters. Most of the characters are British expatriates living in Florence, Italy. They have to deal with a murder and the fact that the murderer is one of their group.

The writer has a strong grasp of psychology, so the various characters' behaviors ring true. We are privy to their thinking processes. We come to unde
Karen Moseley
The book started very slowly with lots of characters but improved dramatically as it progressed. A good entertaining read,good descriptions of Florence and the surrounding countryside.
Annabelle Heap
Easy, comforting holiday read.
Robin
I friend lent this to me on a trip abroad and it was fun travel reading. It is a murder mystery set in the British ex-pat community in Florence, with a little bit of a romance thrown in. I liked that it showed a more modern portrait of Italy that wasn't Hollywood perfect. There are drug problems, prostitution, corruption, and human trafficking. I liked that it explored some of the effects of globalization on the underground economy.
Maggie White
Excellent book set in Florence. The descriptions are great and really help to set the atmosphere. Story of Gina who goes to Florence to visit with her old college friend and get away from her three young children and husband as feeling stressed. She meets a lot of interesting characters and gets caught up in a murder mystery. Although the murder is in the story it is not the whole story and that made this book different and refreshing.
Cerys
Feb 11, 2012 Cerys rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
I really enjoyed this book, the characters were well written and although there were a lot of them I felt that I knew who everybody was and cared about a lot of them. I hadn't realised before I started reading it that there were murders at the centre of the story, which increased my pleasure in reading it as I enjoy mysteries. This is a book I would recommend to others, a real page-turner.
Kiran
I was hoping this would be a good atmospheric book and it really was a good and gripping read. A murder / thriller but with the romance of Florence mingled with more sinister tones too. I could've read it in a single sitting if only I had the time! Looking forward to reading more from the same author
Kathryn
Beautiful descriptions of Florence and the Maremma and it was interesting to read about the darker side to Florence (a city I love).

Saskia
Not a bad book, but I was a bit puzzled by the overarching theme that adultery is okay as long as it happens in Italy, or something.
Jem
This book is full of atmosphere and wonderful desciptions of people and places. At the moment I am on my third reading of it.
Pinky
i really like the way she writes..good police who dunnit,with good descriptions of real italy,not the tourist dress up.
Lynne
This is extremely entertaining and holds my attention so far!
Ray
Aug 23, 2012 Ray added it
Brilliant
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Geraldine Robbins
Geraldine Robbins marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Anupama
Anupama marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Karichi Du soleil
Karichi Du soleil marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Christobel Kent was born in London in 1962 and now lives in Cambridge with her husband and four children; in between she lived in Florence. She worked in publishing for several years, most recently as Publicity Director at Andre Deutsch. Her debut novel A Party in San Niccolo, was published in 2003.

Series:
* Sandro Cellini
More about Christobel Kent...
The Crooked House The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1) The Dead Season (Sandro Cellini, #3) A Murder in Tuscany (Sandro Cellini, #2) The Summer House

“She was shocked by how dirty Florence was.” 0 likes