Blank-133x176
Emperor and the Nighti...

Fiona Waters

Emperor and the Nightingale

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This version of the Hans Christian Anderson tale, originally an Oriental folktale re-told, is set in mid-19th century China. The text's illustrations present authentic detail, from Manchu head-dresses to the rose-madder walls of the Forbidden City.
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 2000)

Natalie
this is one of those books which really change your perspective on things. In this particular case, beauty. I was reared on chinese culture and I really enjoyed china and japan when I was younger and this is just another book which affirmed my love of asia.
I first heard the story when I got a cartoon dvd of hans christian anderson, and I really liked it. I also found it in a really beautiful and compact e-book compilation of hans tales on google play books which I have only just re-discovered....more
Margaret
The emperor has a bird that sings to him every day. The court creates a mechanical copy of the bird that also sings, so the bird is sad and goes away. The emperor gets sick, and he needs the real bird to sing to him. This is a good book for teaching children that technology is sometimes not a good replacement for other things.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Hgupta
Hgupta marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Sidra Nazir
Sidra Nazir marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
Jaqueichla
Jaqueichla marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2011
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2010
Don't Kiss the Frog!: Princess Stories with Attitude Corner Of A Foreign Field Poems from Many Cultures: Poetry Collection 4 Princess Stories (Kingfisher Treasury Of Stories) Why Does My Mum Always Iron A Crease In My Jeans? (Puffin Poetry)