Start by marking “McBroom's Ghost” as Want to Read:
McBroom's Ghost

McBroom's Ghost (Adventures of McBroom)

"There's been so much tomfool nonsense told about McBroom's wonderful one-acre farm
Published August 17th 1998 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about McBroom's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McBroom's Ghost

MisterFweem
Oct 14, 2009 MisterFweem rated it it was amazing
First, I have to do the yell:

Willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry andlittleclarinda!

That's how farmer Josh McBroom shouts his eleven children into the house as they're playing on his amazingly rich one-acre farm, where the soil is so rich they can grow two crops of tomatoes and a crop of carrots on the first day of planting.

And now it's my goal as I pass these wonderful books (this is the first of a series by Sid Fleischman) on to my children that I perfect McBroom's yell so I can shou
Shiloah
Aug 19, 2012 Shiloah rated it really liked it
This was so fun to read aloud to the family. Add the Southern twang and it really makes the story come to life. We laughed and laughed.
Lauri Meyers
Nov 29, 2016 Lauri Meyers rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
Silly tall tales, perfect if you need to demonstrate exaggeration!
Siskiyou-Suzy
These McBroom books are certainly fun, and this book introduces a second silly element to the farm beyond the unbelievable, fast-growing soil. A "ghost." Sort of. It's just as fun as the others. Many of the jokes may be lost on the younger set because of contextual clues, but I bet they'd still enjoy a lot of 'em! Could be a fun read-aloud.
Angela
Jan 03, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my ten year old son. I thought this was a pretty neat book, but my son was left feeling a bit confused. The author used a LOT of sayings not to be taken in a literal form. The main character would say and I’m not lying, so my son was a bit confused as to what the underlying messages were.

This is a story about a man and his wife and 11 children who live on a farm that can grow crops in just one day. Of course with amazing land like that, the neighbor of McBroom is always tryi
Donna Crane
My, oh my, it's been a cold winter this year. Why it's been so cold we've had to fire a gun up the chimney three times a day to blast through the smoke that froze. It was so cold all the red barns in the county turned blue and sunlight took to freezing on the ground. But the strangest thing happening on the McBroom farm is that a mimicking ghost has turned up. It can do dead-on imitations of everything from a crowing rooster to John Philip Sousa's marching band. The McBroom series comes from the ...more
Honya
This short story is a treat that can be read in one sitting. As with most of Fleischman’s works, it is a quick, light story that can be enjoyed by children but that has enough witty turns of phrase and uniqueness of concept that it will appeal to older audiences as well. McBroom’s Ghost starts out tall and gets taller as it goes, with Farmer McBroom telling his family’s experiences with a “ghost” one winter. The creative phrases of this tall tale are what really brings it to life, and ...more
Scott
Dec 16, 2007 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrens-book
This book was one of my favorite books from when I was a child. It is a strange and bizarre book with strange illustrations to match the story. Most of the characters are tall and emaciated with very distinct noses. Mr. McBroom is a great narrator who is known for telling tall tales. He tells a story of a ghost haunting their farm.

Looking back, it almost seems like it could be the basis for a short film by Tim Burton.
Jennifer Heise
Jul 06, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
I adore McBroom, so I've read this to my son repeatedly since he was about 4-- before that it was too long for him to like. He giggles now (at the age of 6) about the tall tale, but I think he'll enjoy it more later.
Who can forget the frozen march, or McBroom's call for " “Will-Jill-Hester-Chester-Peter-Polly-Tim-Tom-Mary-Larry-and-Little-Clarinda” !
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book in the spare bedroom. Hadn't read it in years. My first though was...willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry and little Clarinda. What a nice trip down memory lane of my childhood reading.
Brandi
Jan 27, 2014 Brandi rated it liked it
In this tall-tale chapter book for transitional readers, it's a cold, cold winter on McBroom's one-acre farm when a mimicking ghost starts to cause all sorts of trouble. A humorous, fun, quick start to the Adventures of McBroom series.
Wvalice
Jul 09, 2013 Wvalice rated it it was amazing
Some of the best children's books ever. I love these, and every child I've ever read them to loved them, too!
Hyrum
May 15, 2011 Hyrum rated it it was amazing
I liked it because they all thought it was a ghost but then they found it was Heck Jones' weird hogs. And another funny thing is that the sun froze to the ground it was so cold that winter.
Adam
Oct 31, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and only slightly creepy tall tale set in the American heartland. Fleischman is a marvelous storyteller, a national treasure.
Charlie George
First book I read on my own initiative, 5 yrs old. Sadly, I remember it not a lick, so I cannot rate.
Clare
Sep 09, 2009 Clare rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! Another favorite from childhood. I loved how he called his children to him. Good old country folks with some tall tales to spin.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
this was one of my favorite books from childhood. i have lost my copy but i'm getting it from the library so i can relive this memory!
Melissa
Jun 07, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love McBroom and his many adventures. This is the first McBroom book I read. As a result, I've bought several more.
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2008
Christian McKay
Christian McKay rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Leigh Anne
Leigh Anne rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Kelseypearl
Kelseypearl rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Tristen
Tristen rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Sheryl Tribble
Jan 02, 2012 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McBroom is not McBroom without the Frankenberg illos.
Aaron
Oct 01, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing
A good read on a rainy night.
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
Jennifer Crowder
Jennifer Crowder rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2010
Gloria
Gloria rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will ...more
More about Sid Fleischman...

Adventures of McBroom (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • McBroom Tells the Truth