4.76 of 5 stars 4.76  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  11 reviews
One lone tree is all that remains of the cherished Standridge family orange groves, a legacy that goes back as far as the Civil War. But for young Colly Standridge, that solitary tree is at the center of a magical world. Inspired by real people, The Sour Orange Derby follows the lives of Colly, who dreams of becoming a professional baseball player, and K.B. Standridge, an...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Kristina Circelli

To ask other readers questions about The Sour Orange Derby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sour Orange Derby

I adored how Kristina blended stories from her childhood to come up with a story that included some situations that are fictional. I love how her grandfather used stories to help build traditions for the family that act as glue to keep them together. In this story, the big fictional component surrounds the ultimate death of the youngest sibling of the family and how a backyard tradition, the sour orange derby, had provided the means for the survivors to heal.

Unlike some titles I’ve read written...more
Gina's Library
This book is just simply amazing. There are so many emotions. I found myself laughing and then crying, literally.

The story is of the Standridge family and how they started The Sour Orange Derby. It all started with a little boy that loved baseball and his beloved Papa. It grew to be so much more than that.

The author seamlessly goes back and forth from telling the story to present day, and the past. You actually feel like you are there listening to the story of the past.

We all need magic and joy...more
Phaedra Seabolt
Wow. This is an amazing story. It is all about a family who has had hardships over their long existence and continue to do so. The book focuses on the many experiences of the Standridge family as it is being retold to a New York reporter covering the Annual Sour Orange Derby. The Sour Orange Derby is their family tradition of hitting sour oranges with baseball bats and giving out points based on how far the pieces go and how big the pieces are. It really sounds like something that would be a lot...more
Alexandra
Four stars, to another great book from one of my favorite authors!

"The Sour Orange Derby" was a great story of family and tradition, and the fantasy and playfulness than can be found in childhood.

The story was told from two time zones -- the present, where the Sour Orange Derby, a traditional ballgame using sour oranges, is being played, and the past, where the origin of the Derby is revealed, along with the history of the family behind it. The switch between times never left me feeling lost or...more
Craftymom Jen
Sour Orange Derby was a drastic 360 from my normal genre of books. I usually stick with Paranormal books because they are escape for me with not too much emotional investment. It was a well crafted story that was beautifully told and you felt that you knew the characters like your own family by the end of the book. I normally can’t finish a book that was emotionally taxing (the story behind the derby is very sad), but I am glad I stuck it out because the ending was very rewarding. I highly recom...more
Lisa Markson
Lisa's review of
ByKristina Circelli

I was given a copy of this book in exchange or an honest review. At first I was not liking the book for one reason and one reason only. The story switched from present to past a lot. I am not a real fan of this type of writing. But the more I read the story I realized that it was necessary in order to give the reader the reasons behind the Sour Orange Derby plus letting you to develop the tender and raw emotions that the characters were fee...more
Niki
What a great story. I love the characters of K.B. and Kariss, and little Colly, K.B sounds like a wonderful grandfather and dad to Jude. those story takes you into the past of the family and the present. it is heartwarming, you love with them, cry with them and learn it is okay to life on without forgetting or not loving the one you lost. it made me smile, cry and feel with them a lot. It reminded me of things in my own youth.

I can see this story do a lot for families and I recommend also older...more
Kristi Strong
What a wonderful, heartwarming, gut-wrenching story of family and life. This book sucks you in within the first page and then never lets you go. Several chapters were read while holding my breath because I was so sucked in that I forgot to breath until the action was over, and then wondered why I felt dizzy.
Kristina Circelli has a beautiful way of creating beauty out of tragedy, linking the past with the present, and readers of all ages and backgrounds will love this book.
Steph
Fantastic story of family love and tradition. I was immediately hooked from the first page, both by the actual story and the author's way with words. It was one of those books I didn't want to put down, and I already miss the characters and story now that I'm done.
Cindy
The Sour Orange Derby will pull at your heart strings. It demonstrates courage, the importance of family, and all the fun things in between. The book made me laugh and made me cry. I recommend this book to all ages. Enjoy!
Leslie
This is a fantastic story about a family, their very deep bond, and their rich heritage, punctuated with love, magic, loss, and hope. I laughed, cried, and cheered, and I highly recommend this book.
KH
KH added it
Jul 06, 2014
Vanessa Proehl
Vanessa Proehl marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
MrsMamfa
MrsMamfa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Sarah Geiger
Sarah Geiger marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Elizabeth Sharp
Elizabeth Sharp marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Laurette Fox
Laurette Fox marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Jennifer Levac
Jennifer Levac marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Crysti Perry
Crysti Perry marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Doodles
Doodles marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kristina Circelli is the author of adult and YA fiction novels. A descendent of the Cherokee nation, Circelli holds both a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in English from the University of North Florida. Currently, she works as both a copywriter and creative writing professor, in addition to writing her own novels.

Her latest series, The Whisper Legacy, is steeped in the spoken narratives of N...more
More about Kristina Circelli...
The Never Beyond the Western Sun (The Whisper Legacy, #1) Walk the Red Road: Book Two in the Whisper Legacy Fragile Creatures The Helping Hands (Helping Hands, #1)