Start by marking “Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Jumping Fire: A Smokej...

Murry A. Taylor

Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Written with a keen eye for detail and a talent for storytelling, Jumping Fire recounts Taylor's three decades parachuting out of planes and fighting fires in the vast, rugged wilderness of the West, told within the framework of one thrilling season. Includes a new Afterword on the fires of summer 2000.
Hardcover
Published June 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published June 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Jumping Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumping Fire

Eric_W
Mar 19, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor began smokejumping in 1965 and, near age fifty, finally quit after the summer of 2000, the worst fire season in half a century. Smokejumpers are a bizarre breed who have to pass an extremely rigorous physical fitness test each year — one thing they have to do is run 3 miles in 22 minutes and Marines say smokejumpers training is harder than boot camp — before being allowed back into training. (Interestingly, one of them, Trooper, paid his own way to China in an attempt to convince the Chin ...more
Chad
Jan 17, 2016 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last few years of an older (in smokejumping terms) smoke jumper and his crew/teammates up in Alaska. I guess to gauge when I started this book... it was just after some Hot Shots died in a forest fire, I guess the one in Arizona, perhaps.. Yarnell. That occurred July 10, 2013... so I guess it's taken me some time to get through this one. There's something about these types of jobs that... interests me. I used to jump out of cargo planes during my military time, so my A.D.D. mind wandered int ...more
Joe
Dec 20, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When Mare and I visited the smokejumper base in Winthrop, WA, we were able to meet and talk with a couple smokejumpers, see their equipment, tour their facility, and see one of their airplanes. One of the smokejumpers that we talked to recommended Murry A. Taylor's book, Jumping Fire, A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire, as a way of finding out what it is really like to be a smokejumper.

Well, if smokejumping is like this book, I would say that it rambles and is fairly pointless. As I rea
Ensiform
Dec 19, 2011 Ensiform rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, jobs
The oldest active smokejumper in history tells all, or at least what he went through during one hard season of parachuting into the Alaska wilderness to fight fires. Taylor gives a blow-by-blow account of the smokejumper’s life, from early training to equipment checks to freefall to digging soil lines at the foot of raging fires to the boredom and loneliness. Along the way he manages to tell of his sexual exploits with two pretty girls and pack in several anecdotes of jumping, some funny, some t ...more
Brad H
Jul 28, 2012 Brad H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and was truely amazed!
We read about stories of wild fires and we hear about them on the news. But, we really have no concept of what it takes and what these brave men and women do.

Here is a riveting and humerous, tragic and exilerating (sic) true and 1st hand account of their lives, work, tragedy and love of the fight.

Mr. Taylor became the oldest and one of the best fire jumpers in history. Litterally being forced to a desk job after all of the cartilage had been destroyed in hi
Patrick Ross
Jun 25, 2014 Patrick Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having lived in Alaska for a few years and seeing men like these work, you can only have the upmost respect for them.

Having been a paratrooper in military, I was talking a smoke jumper who made the comment that he could not do what I did, jump out of an airplane into a firefight. I responded with I'll take bullets over a wildfire any day of the week.
Zach
It was okay.

The book definetly conveys the dangers of smoke jumping and the unique people who are able to do this.

I would have preferred to have learned more about how smoke jumping developed and how exactly smoke jumping is used to control forest fires. Taylor never really explains how smoke jumping works, what is the strategy.

The first 200 pages of the book are really good. After that, the book becomes a little repetative and would have been helped by editing.

Also, there is too much about
Cory
May 21, 2016 Cory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wildfire
Romanticized book on Parachuting into wildfires by an extremely seasoned jumper. Good book, easy to read and stay interested.
Ryan McArthur
Damn, this is a great book. It starts of detailing how they parachute in (so much so, I was wondering if he would actually fight fires!) and then gets into the nitty gritty. Its a great read, set out in a diary format, so you get a real sense of time.
Taylor tells pretty much everything about jumping, the excitement, the injuries, training, hazards (including bears and retardant drops) and the impact it has on his personal relationships and love life. Its a tough job, and it really made me want
Brian
Feb 15, 2009 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was pretty interesting to see what these firefighters do through the summers. lots of crazy stories about jumping into forest fires, putting out the fires 24 hours a day, and other near-death experiences.
i got tired of the author's perspective...he knows he's too old to be doing this (and has never really had a lasting relationship with anyone), yet he continues to be on call to fight fires each year. maybe it's just me, but he really should get over it.
Brooks
Jul 21, 2010 Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great action book on the life of a smoke jumper. Filled with reget of the relationships lost to pursue the adrenalin and outdoor life of smoke jumping. The author spent almost 30 years in this role - longer than anyone else. This meant he had to run 3 miles under 22 minutes to pass physical requirements every spring.
Arii
Mar 21, 2012 Arii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fire-ems-trauma
He really captured the camaraderie between those who dedicate their life to fighting fire, the long and tiresome days and nights spent digging line and how quickly things can go wrong. The personal life bits were a bit repetitive and woe is me like but overall it was an interesting read.
Kelly
Apr 26, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mostly to get a sense of what it is like to be a forest fire fighter. Each year the news is filled with headlines of hundreds of these folks going to this or that fire. This book puts a bit of the human side of the folks who take great risks to fight these fires.
Momdad
Dec 06, 2007 Momdad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read about smokejumping forest fires in Alaska and Idaho in 1991. Narrative of the scenic areas and wildlife were exceptional and descriptions of firefighting tactics and procedures were easy to follow. That was the best part of this book.
Nicole
An interesting look at the life of a smoke jumper. The author basically detailed a season of firefighting. It was interesting, but at times, a little repetitive. Worth reading if its a topic you're interested in.
Umunairu
Feb 01, 2015 Umunairu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A fascinating, detailed look into the life of a smokejumper. I learned so much about fighting wildfires and am completely in awe of the people who do this job. Read it.
Matt
Oct 12, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story telling. Accurate from a firefighter's perspective. Another book to glamorize smokejumpers.Yeah! I did really like it, though. It was not just a bog yeah me, I am so cool book.
Morrigan
An easy interesting read, I enjoyed it very much. Enjoyable stories and anxiety producing situation and heart break as well as love and courage.
Zechy
Jul 16, 2010 Zechy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
The bits about smokejumping were simply breathtaking.
The bits were he moans about his personal life got a bit tiresome
after a while.
Phoenix Bailey
Nov 25, 2007 Phoenix Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-bio
Tales of a fire bum. This book is the reason I got into this crazy business.
Hugh Carson
Mar 06, 2012 Hugh Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way it was. No shine, no bullshit. Thanks, Murry!!
Rachel
Jul 01, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book on smokejumpers!
Shannon
Jan 10, 2012 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish.
Kim Bretz
Kim Bretz marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Shelby Jo
Shelby Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Sue Haviland
Sue Haviland marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Zachary & Paige Miller
Zachary & Paige Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Amber Scott
Amber Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Catherine Lyerly
Catherine Lyerly rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2016
Bryan
Bryan is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Fire on the Mountain: The True Story of the South Canyon Fire
  • Report from Engine Co. 82
  • Free Spirit: A Climber's Life
  • Fighting Fire
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • Last Breath: Cautionary Tales from the Limits of Human Endurance
  • The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2 Firehouse
  • Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • 3000 Degrees: The True Story of a Deadly Fire and the Men Who Fought It
  • Survive the Savage Sea
  • Rasputin and the Jews: A Reversal of History
  • Last Man Down: A Firefighter's Story of Survival and Escape from the World Trade Center
  • Night of the Grizzlies
  • Working Fire: The Making of a Fireman
  • This Game of Ghosts
  • The Godfather of Poker: The Doyle Brunson Story
  • Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories

“To the jumpers overhearing the conversation it was obvious—Troop had come down with another case of dragon fever. The Don Quixote of smokejumping was once again engaged in mortal combat with this, his latest windmill.” 0 likes