Start by marking “Kiss Me, Deadly” as Want to Read:
Kiss Me, Deadly

Kiss Me, Deadly (Mike Hammer #6)

Women and the Web

Friends and enemies alike warned Mike Hammer to drop his feud with the dread Mafia, the sinister international crime network which spread its slimy web over a taxi dancer, a Central Park psychiatrist, a Yonkers millionaire and his impossibly beautiful sister, an ex-pug and a blonde with hair like snow.

But Mike was thirsting to revenge the murder of a satin
Paperback
Published September 1st 1967 by Signet (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Me, Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Me, Deadly

Jim
Dec 28, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I believe this is my first Mike Hammer book. I loved it! Mickey Spillane wrote great noir, pulp.

While driving down a mountain road, Mike Hammer almost runs over a beautiful blond standing in the road. He gives her a ride only to find she is a woman pursued. After she is killed, Mike sets out to solver her murder.

There were many twists and turns as Mike Hammer pursues the killers.

Here are some great quotes from the book that I particularly loved:

p113 “I sat down, started to light a cigarette a
F.R.
Feb 24, 2015 F.R. rated it liked it
The more I read Mike Hammer the more of a parody of itself it seems to be. The books are so relentlessly tough and hard boiled, with a brutally humourless hero who relishes his role as the angel of vengeance, that it becomes hard to take them seriously. Except I don’t know if Spillane is really in on the joke.

This time it’s Mike against the Mafia, an organisation with tentacles everywhere but which can still be broken by one man. He makes his traditional threat, kills a great many scumbags and e
Sketchbook
Dec 16, 2011 Sketchbook rated it liked it
The pathetic "noirs" of Stieg Larsson make me recall
Mickey Spillane. As Capote once said, "There are writers and
there are typists." Larsson is strictly a typist. His
mishmasshery of s & m make Spillane read like Proust.
For off-the-wall thrills, you can't beat the film
version of this novel (Robt Aldrich, 1955), which has been
called "the most perfectly realized film noir ever made."
LA is a city in which every road leads to No Exit. What's
coming? A nuclear apocalypse. Sophistication and worldi
Cathy DuPont
Jul 09, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it
Mike Hammer is one tough dude! No wonder many of today's mystery writers refer to him and Mickey Spillane's books.

Hammer has his license and with that, his gun pulled early on so he does all his work by hand, fighting his way through a maze of corruption, the Mafia. Published in 1953 and not knowing much history of the Mafia, not sure when it 'took hold' in America. With that said, if it was established when Spillane wrote this book, was wondering if he felt threatened in any way?

Kiss Me, Dead
Paige Ellen Stone
Mike Hammer, at it again in his own inimitable style. Classic noir/pulp fiction by one of the best at it.
H L
Aug 03, 2008 H L rated it really liked it
One of the few instances where the film version is actually better than the book - the film is 5 stars all the way...the book, a solid 4. Track 'em both down...
Jim C
Jan 05, 2017 Jim C rated it it was ok
This is part of the Mike Hammer series. Even though it is a series each novel is a stand alone novel. In this one, Mike is driving back to the city when he sees a woman hitchhiking on a lonely mountain road. Mike offers her a ride and he is immediately thrust into a big, bad situation that involves the Mafia.

I am a fan of these novels but this one did not do it for me. Don't get me wrong. This one has all the hallmarks that I love about these books. It is politically incorrect and probably would
George
Mar 13, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Το δεύτερο βιβλίο του Μίκι Σπιλέιν που διαβάζω, πάντα με ήρωα τον Μάικ Χάμερ, το πρώτο ήταν το "Εγώ, οι ένορκοι", το οποίο μου φάνηκε λίγο καλύτερο.

Πρωταγωνιστής, ο κλασικός σκληρός ιδιωτικός ντετέκτιβ, ο οποίος ό,τι όμορφο θηλυκό κυκλοφορεί καταφέρνει και το ρίχνει... Μέχρι ένα σημείο είναι εντάξει, αλλά μετά καταντά κουραστικό. Το προσπερνάω αυτό όμως. Ο Μάικ Χάμερ αυτή τη φορά μπλέκει σε μια περίεργη και περίπλοκη ιστορία, που οδηγεί στη Μαφία και κάτι ναρκωτικά τεράστιας αξίας. Μετά από πολ
Tricia C
Apr 04, 2013 Tricia C marked it as did-not-finish
Ugh. Honestly, I only read on this for a couple hours before deciding it wasn't worth the inevitable eyestrain. I kept looking into this book, hooping for something as exciting or at least as well-written as The Maltese Falcon. I suppose those are pretty high expectations, but with all the hype Mickey Spillane's novels got, I would have expected them to be at least worth the effort of finishing them.
Also, knowing before I started the book that Spillane called himself one of Jehovah's Witnesses,
Kevin Neilson
Apr 27, 2010 Kevin Neilson rated it it was ok
I read this in German, in which it was called Rhapsodie in Blei, which is a pun in German, as "Blei" means "lead". Having seen the movie, I was a bit confused--the novel never mentions anything about nuclear material in the box, and the ending has no glowing house on the beach. I was rather tired at the end, though, having suffered through a lot of violence. Some of it required a big suspension of disbelief: tied down to a bed and under watch by several armed goons, it was surely curtains for Mi ...more
Erik Moloney
Nov 27, 2015 Erik Moloney rated it really liked it

But Mike was thirsting to revenge the murder of a satin-skinned Viking. So, single-handed, he defied police and F.B.I., determined to even his personal score with the head man of the Mafia. Deprive
D-day
Sep 26, 2010 D-day rated it it was ok
Kiss Me Deadly finds Mike Hammer confronting the Mafia over stolen narcotics. But this isn't the Mafia of the Godfather or the Sopranos. Spillane pictures them as a secret shadowy organization like the Illuminati or the Elders of Zion.
Compared to other Mike Hammer novels I have read (which all seemed like a rehash of I, The Jury), this one started better, however the ending is completely incoherent. The fate of one character that had gone missing is never dealt with. One main characters' identit
Bruce
Jul 21, 2016 Bruce rated it really liked it
Is Spillane a worthy confrère of the likes of Chandler, Hammett and Macdonald? My answer is unequivocally yes, despite the charges of gratuitous violence and sexual titillation. Those are aspects of Mike Hammer's character -- faults perhaps, but isn't that what noir is all about, the heroic transcending moral weakness in the protagonist? The plot of Kiss Me, Deadly superbly orchestrates this transcendence, as Hammer stays one step ahead of the Mafia in solving the central mystery. And yes, this ...more
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2fiction, action, 1paper
Mike Hammer is the main character.

I've re-read most of Spillane's novels. They're hoaky, dated & fun. I don't care for the Tiger Mann books much. He gets really hoaky with them - tough guy who screws around on his virginal fiancee but loves her so much he aches. The later Mike Hammer books go that way too. Mike Hammer ranks a little higher with me, but not a lot.

I enjoy Spillane's stand alone stories more. Those characters tend not to be as hoaky, just as tough & the plots are fair with
Ed
Jul 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#6 in the Mike Hammer series.

Mike Hammer series - No dame is pretty with a gun in her hand. But at least this one was alive. The last time Mike Hammer met up with a blonde she ended up dead, and Hammer inherited a war with the Mob. As he digs deeper, he discovers that about fifteen years ago the Mafia had been double crossed. Now, people are dying because of it and the girl with the gun is a crucial witness in the case. While Hammer's enemies are searching the city for him, he is ready to go aft
Francesco Zampa
Dec 27, 2012 Francesco Zampa rated it it was amazing
Il detective duro per eccellenza, buono quanto basta ma soprattutto giusto oltre ogni limite. Ce ne vorrebbero... Tacciato di torpiloquismo negli anni '50, oggi quel linguaggio conserva la sua brutalità quasi senza offendere, tanto si è abbassato il livello di decenza soprattutto di molte trasmissioni televisive. Se la contendono lui e Callaghan, e temo che il buon vecchio Clint debba cedere ai ragazzi grandi...
Ned
Nov 05, 2008 Ned rated it really liked it
The rockin' wrecking ball of Mike Hammer must be called back via movies like Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp fiction... I want to see this movie done in the Kill Bill style by Tarantino. Totally misogynist and sickly violent, but such an interesting look back on the 1950s postwar USA. It's a roller coaster of broken teeth, bleeding bellies and limbs ripped away from the evil powers that be... Intense.
Richard Crookes
Aug 21, 2012 Richard Crookes rated it liked it
Having been a long time fan of the film and never having read any Spillane before, I was curious... and although I enjoyed the book and will probably read some more of his work at some time, quite frankly I got a little bored with the plot. The more surreal quality of the film was more appealing to me. It's obviously a piece of its time which is interesting in itself - quite sexy in a charming restrained way, even though it deals with brutal people.
Tom
May 23, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok
I liked the 1955 movie better. Cloris Leachman's first big break. Too bad she dies so soon. The movie became a cult classic and film noir. Ralph Meeker as Mike Hammer. A.I. Bezzerides, in writing the screenplay, took liberties with the plot which made it better in my opinion.

Stacy Keach is my favorite Hammer.

J.W. Metcalf
Jan 05, 2015 J.W. Metcalf rated it really liked it
This book was my doorway into the private investigator world of books. I loved it and thought Mike Hammer was a tough SOB. I remember reading this when I was around 10 or so. Mike was a non nonsense type of guy. It was an eye opener and Mickey Spillane was probably the biggest influence in my writing today.
Kam Oi
Mar 10, 2013 Kam Oi rated it it was ok
I was expecting to like this but I actually kind of hated it. The writing is clever sometimes but Hammer is just so brutally angry for like, no reason I can discern. Then every single dame is more gorgeous than the last & totally wants to get down his pants. And then the story doesn't even tie up at the end. I did really like Michael Friday though. She should get her own story.
Grant Marsh
Dec 14, 2013 Grant Marsh rated it liked it
It's on of those books that I think fits in with those times. Mike Hammer is a somewhat emotionless "pantyhound" who always seems to find trouble everywhere he goes. I didn't think it was horrible, but I definitely wouldn't say it was a masterpiece. It is one of those books you pick up and can read in an afternoon.
Jon
Oct 15, 2015 Jon rated it did not like it
Two-dimensional characters, nonsensical plot, ultra violence on every page until, finally, a drop-out-of-the-sky ending hits you on the head, putting the final fillip to the 20-point IQ skid you get just by reading this stuff.
Risa
Jul 16, 2009 Risa rated it it was ok
These are CASSETTES which i would K.I.L.L. for so that i could drive around in my 1988 Volvo and listen to this. i did read the book- there were some surprises that's for sure. It probably helped galvanize me as a feminist.
Dennis
Jun 12, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it
Love Hammer a the politically incorrectness that he is. That time is gone of the mans man. To bad but it is fun to read in Spillane or Chandlers books. Got to love pulp fiction.
Bryson McCheeseburger
Sep 11, 2013 Bryson McCheeseburger rated it really liked it
Cool Mike Hammer novel. Mike seems a little more bad-ass in this one with a lot more attitude than others I have read. Cool vintage crime noir book.
Ralph
Jul 16, 2012 Ralph rated it liked it
My first Mickey Spillane novel. I bought the movie and watched it first; very different from the book. Instead of the Mafia, it was a 50's motif of stolen plutonium.
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 Phillip III rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Mysti Berry
I'm surprised at how good, and emotional, this first Mike Hammer book is. You can feel the PTSD boiling off the page.
PSXtreme
Aug 25, 2016 PSXtreme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
An EXCELLENT story...would REALLY like to see this done as a movie with Jason Statham playing the lead part...I really think he could pull off the Mike Hammer Character with style.
  • Dark Passage
  • The Forger
  • The Goodbye Look
  • Maigret and the Bum
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • Laura
  • Rear Window - Story Collection
  • The Screaming Mimi
  • Cities of the Dead (Michael Spraugge Mystery #4)
  • Build My Gallows High
  • Murder is My Business (Hard Case Crime #66)
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Continental Op
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • The Rare Coin Score (Parker, #9)
  • Los Angeles Noir 2: The Classics
  • Two for the Money (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • Red Means Run
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...

Mike Hammer (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • I, the Jury  (Mike Hammer,  #1)
  • My Gun Is Quick
  • Vengeance Is Mine  (Mike Hammer, #3)
  • One Lonely Night