Start by marking “Teach Ye Diligently” as Want to Read:
Teach Ye Diligently

Teach Ye Diligently

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Learn from a gifted teacher how to teach more effectively at home and at Church

Everyone is a teacher, and everyone can learn to teach better. This is the theme and focus of this newly redesigned edition of Teach Ye Diligently, which has been a premiere resource on gospel teaching since its publication 35 years ago. A teacher by profession, President Boyd K. Packer draws up

Published December 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Teach Ye Diligently, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Ye Diligently

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise BauerDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoA Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMilleHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerHow Children Learn by John Holt
Best Homeschooling Books
19th out of 168 books — 218 voters
Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Holy Bible by AnonymousThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Truth Restored by Gordon B. HinckleyJesus the Christ by James E. Talmage
LDS - Mormon Studies and Theology
52nd out of 129 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Doug
Jul 04, 2008 Doug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to be a better teacher.
A very understandable and helpful book to make one a better teacher, especially of gospel subjects but I have used many of these principles in other settings as well.
Cami
I have been spiritually filled and know these words are true. I have such profound respect for a man that has spent basically his entire life learning and serving and teaching about God and Christ. I am happy to have been taught at his feet through this book. I gained some fantastic insights regarding teaching, both at church and as a parent, as well as some general life lessons and scriptural impressions. I loved the anecdotes and experiences all throughout the book. I want to teach in the Savi ...more
David
The best book on teaching outside of scripture.
Kendel Christensen
Mar 05, 2011 Kendel Christensen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERY member of the LDS Church, ESPECIALLY leaders
Recommended to Kendel by: Required reading for CES
This book has SO many inspirational gems that we are afraid to ever bring up in Sunday school. Look at this nugget:

“If we provide an overabundance of counsel without at once emphasizing the principle of self-reliance as it is understood in the welfare program, we can cause people to be so totally dependent emotionally and spiritually upon others that they subsist on some kind of emotional welfare. They can become unwilling to sustain themselves and become so dependent that they endlessly need to
Jared Gillins
3.75 stars, really. President Packer is a great teacher and his book is filled with very good advice, counsel, and instruction for teachers in Gospel settings. In the beginning he states that the book will benefit any teacher of Gospel principles—parents, primary teachers, Sunday school teachers, youth leaders, seminary teachers, etc. As an adult Gospel Doctrine teacher, I picked up the book looking for instruction pertinent to my calling. It is certainly full of broadly applicable advice, but t ...more
Cindy
The reason I have come to know about this book was because of an exceptional women I knew back home in AZ. She was in the simplest of terms an amazing teacher of the gospel. She understood how to instill in others a sense of yearning for good knowledge and truth. I asked her one day if there could possibly be any book out there in the world that could at least teach me some of what she knew about teaching (she has a teaching degree from BYU among other things). Her suggestion was this very book ...more
Bryan Tanner
Required reading for LDS Seminary teachers. President Packer apparently knows something about teaching and learning.

I especially appreciated his philosophy on how instruction is nothing more than two-way communication. When learners aren't ready, it doesn't matter what else happens.
Michael
I periodically troll DI for cheap used books and bought this before helping my sister & brother-in-law move from Idaho to Illinois.

I read most of it while sitting in the St. Louis airport for six hours waiting to fly home (I got bumped). The book seemed to speak to me; it was as almost as though instead of being stuck at gate A4 the author was tutoring me individually. The rhythm of his writing comes through like the cadence of his voice when he speaks in General Conference.

I've only ever
Jena Anderson
I LOVE THIS BOOK. This is such a wonderful book for LDS teachers from a man who has devoted his life to teaching, and to learning from God how to teach.
Kathryn
This book is directed toward teaching at church. However, many of the principles of teaching can also be aplied to secular teaching and teaching in the home. If students can apply the lesson to themselves and can see how it can be useful it will be easier to learn and retain. If we can relate something they don't understand to something that they do understand it will help them learn. Use examples. Ask GOOD thougth provoking questions. Give people time to think about what you're asking. Don't be ...more
Michael
This book contains many valuable lessons for someone who is new to teaching. Teaching veterans will find it a nice refresher, but not a lot of new information. My main complaint about it is its seemingly haphazard structure. Chapters will occasionally be associated with those that immediately preceded them, but usually there is no obvious connection between them, and topics are sometimes visited multiple times in chapters separated by half a dozen chapters. Breaking the content into sections bas ...more
Chris
A true gospel classic. I was amazed at how much of this book I've heard before (the "do you know what salt tastes like?" story, for instance), quoted in sacrament meeting talks, priesthood lessons, etc. In these pages, President Packer offers gentle instruction on being a Christ-like teacher. I hope to be able to apply more than a few of the principles taught here to my own teaching.
Larissa
I found application for my church callings and for my professional teaching career in this book. Elder Packer touched on topics ranging from classroom management, teacher appearance, visual aids, object lessons, and so many other things. I have come away from this with a whole list of practical applciations to my own teaching experiences. Best of all, Elder Packer teaches about Christ's teachng methods
Ang
This book has a great conversational style to it. I really enjoyed the stories and down-to-earth, common sense approaches he uses. I learned more about life, I think, than about teaching. My copy has been thoroughly marked with notes all over the margins. I am at the beginnings of being a better teacher--a life long pursuit. This book was very helpful and encouraging.
Bethany
I originally read this book as a class assignment in college, and I ended up purchasing it as a great reference. Elder Packer gives great practical suggestions on how to run and set up a classroom to be more effective, but also great insights into how to apply analogies or object lessons and how to use the Spirit in teaching.
Anna
I am just finishing my third read of this book. It is a classic and marvelous text for anyone who is a religious instructor. It has molded and formed me as a teacher and every time I read it I learn something new. I'm ready to begin it again. I recommend it for EVERYONE. Marvelous read. Very instructive.
Barbara Lovejoy
I had read the older version of this book at least a couple of times a number of years ago. I loved reading the book again, gleaning so many wonderful nuggets of teaching gems. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to be a more effective teacher and/or leader.
Janiece
After being involved in learning about education and teaching for more than seven years, someone finally told me about this book. It should have been one of the first ones that I ever read about teaching. I loved it. I will refer to it again and again.
Clint
One of the best books for Mormons seeking the gift of teaching. It has some great anecdotes from President Packer's own experiences in teaching throughout his life. Some of the teaching suggestions are slightly dated but overall this is a great book.
Ashley
President Packer is good at making you realize how short you've fallen but also that hitting the mark is possible and simple, if you apply yourself diligently. I realize I'm not doing very well as a teacher most of the time, but I can be better.
Kelly
Why have I not read this a long time ago? I don't know. I was blown away by this book as it has given me some great insights on being not only a teacher in church but as a mother as well. I highly recommend this book! Yes!!! A must read
Joe
Even though I've heard or read most of these teachings before, it's a good book that bears rereading from time to time. I learn something new or remember something that I've forgotten whenever I crack its pages.
Nancy
I was told once, in a CES conference that every teacher in the Church should read this book once a year. While I have not read it that often, I do return to it frequently to be reminded of important teaching principles.
Shane
There are insights in this book that I wish I would have had a solid grasp on 20 years ago. It seems as much a book on parenting as teaching and perhaps the two are more synonymous than I had previously imagined.
Jenn S
Feb 01, 2011 Jenn S rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Somewhere in the middle-end part I felt he got off of his premise of learning from the Master teacher, but he's had a ton of experience with teaching and the tips and techniques he gave were still good.
Ernie Dawson
Brother Packer wrote this book years ago and is a must read for the gospel teacher. I suppose it would be easy to go on and on about this book. Just read it! It's great and that all there is to it!
Lucinda
This is the best book if you want to know how to teach. It's great for parenting, and many of my goals as a parent sere shaped as I've thought of the principles taught in this book. It is awesome.
Cliff
The Lord commanded us to seek "out of the best books words of wisdom." Doctrine and Covenants 109:7 and 88:118.

This is truly one of the "best books." 'Nuff said.

-Cliff
Kristene Marchant
I read this to help me be a better music teacher. I think it is awesome. Teaching happens on so many levels in my life, I have used priciples from this book in many areas.
Esther May
This book had some real Gems to think about while teaching any topic, especially the gospel. I enjoyed some sections more than others, but overall it was a good read.
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Pure in Heart
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
193167
President Boyd K. Packer, the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was set apart to this position on February 3, 2008. Previously, he was Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles beginning June 5, 1994. Prior to becoming Acting President, he served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, having been ordained an Ap ...more
More about Boyd K. Packer...
The Holy Temple That All May Be Edified: Talks, Sermons & Commentary Memorable Stories and Parables by Boyd K. Packer Mine Errand from the Lord: Quotations and Teachings from Boyd K. Packer A Christmas Parable

“One of the major difficulties, and one of the monumental dangers, of sex education courses in public schools is that they disregard this significant principle of teaching. They tell all before the youngster is ready, and in so doing, they often wreak havoc with the spiritual, emotional, and moral stability of the students. They open them to great jeopardy. Things should be done in the season thereof, and there is a time for all things. A wise teacher and a wise parent will be alert to that fact.

Likewise, in programming Church activities we should use great wisdom in considering the maturity and readiness of our members to be taught the basic principles of morality. If we teach the basic principles too soon, they may be meaningless to the youngsters. The matter of teaching morality may be necessary, but the framework in which it is set should recognize the degree of maturity and readiness.

For instance, when the youngster is too young to have been subjected to the urging of physical desires, he must be taught about the subject in an entirely different way than will be appropriate when he is older. There will come a time for some more mature discussion later, but this must always be with reverence.”
1 likes