Start by marking “Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles” as Want to Read:
Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Dan Fante knows a thing or two about surviving America. If you like your prose vodka-soaked, soulful and bleeding on the page, then Fante is your man. He has lived a life that would kill most people - acute alcoholism and drug use, poverty, divorce, suicide attempts, therapy - yet has survived to pick up the pen and tell the tale. Dan Fante isn't some two-bit, woe-is-me to ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 2003 by Wrecking Ball Press (first published August 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

Colin N.
I picked up this collection of poems having enjoyed Fante's novels. These poems span the two decades where Fante was at the height of his drinking and drug use and working odd jobs (telemarketing, driving a cab) that he would later mine in his fiction. The poems address his depressions, drug and alcohol use, the ever-present shadow of his father, women, the drudgery or successes of work, and his relationships.

There is a raw honesty to Fante's poems that I appreciate. Fante nicely captures feelin
Sabra Embury
I bought a copy of this book and Dan Fante signed it for me after he read with Tony O'Neill at Skylight Books in August. I'd barely heard of him, but I liked his reading of a poem about him relating to a scarred up cat at Venice Beach.

Most of the poems in A Gin-Pissing-Raw-Meat...were about being broke in LA/down-and-out, surviving various failed relationships, drinking away madness, and being estranged in the shadow of a talented writer/father: John Fante.

Whoever romanticizes that kind of bul
William Thomas
i feel that fante has lived in the shadow of his father his entire life, being overlooked by most and underappreciated for being the son of a literary and screenwriting giant. however, fante stands as his own man in every piece of his work, whther or not he is writing about his father or his sexual encounters or his temper tantrums and binge drinking. i feel that bukowski is usually favored over dan because he is a popular name, and most will understand that you love degenerate poetry if you men ...more
R.d.
I think Fante's strong suit is short fiction. This collection of poetry is sort of uneven. I liked most of it, but it didn't make me want to rush out looking for more of the same. I still think Fante is top drawer when it comes to fiction, though.
Black Coffee Press
Snapshots of real life scrawled on stained napkins. Pure poetry as it should be.
Lm
Lm added it
Nov 22, 2014
Laura Jones
Laura Jones is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Ben Gould
Ben Gould marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Kayla Roberts
Kayla Roberts marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Camila Evia
Camila Evia marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Bradford
Bradford marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Chasquis
Chasquis marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Gokhan Sari
Gokhan Sari is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2013