Start by marking “Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles” as Want to Read:
Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

Dan Fante knows a thing or two about surviving America. If you like your prose vodka-soaked, soulful and bleeding on the page, then Fante is your man. He has lived a life that would kill most people - acute alcoholism and drug use, poverty, divorce, suicide attempts, therapy - yet has survived to pick up the pen and tell the tale. Dan Fante isn't some two-bit, woe-is-me to ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 2003 by Wrecking Ball Press (first published August 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V 8 Son Of A Bitch From Los Angeles

Colin N.
Jul 25, 2011 Colin N. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this collection of poems having enjoyed Fante's novels. These poems span the two decades where Fante was at the height of his drinking and drug use and working odd jobs (telemarketing, driving a cab) that he would later mine in his fiction. The poems address his depressions, drug and alcohol use, the ever-present shadow of his father, women, the drudgery or successes of work, and his relationships.

There is a raw honesty to Fante's poems that I appreciate. Fante nicely captures feelin
Sabra Embury
I bought a copy of this book and Dan Fante signed it for me after he read with Tony O'Neill at Skylight Books in August. I'd barely heard of him, but I liked his reading of a poem about him relating to a scarred up cat at Venice Beach.

Most of the poems in A Gin-Pissing-Raw-Meat...were about being broke in LA/down-and-out, surviving various failed relationships, drinking away madness, and being estranged in the shadow of a talented writer/father: John Fante.

Whoever romanticizes that kind of bul
William Thomas
Nov 05, 2008 William Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i feel that fante has lived in the shadow of his father his entire life, being overlooked by most and underappreciated for being the son of a literary and screenwriting giant. however, fante stands as his own man in every piece of his work, whther or not he is writing about his father or his sexual encounters or his temper tantrums and binge drinking. i feel that bukowski is usually favored over dan because he is a popular name, and most will understand that you love degenerate poetry if you men ...more
R.d.
Jan 27, 2008 R.d. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Fante's strong suit is short fiction. This collection of poetry is sort of uneven. I liked most of it, but it didn't make me want to rush out looking for more of the same. I still think Fante is top drawer when it comes to fiction, though.
Dale Smith
Dale Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Clint
Clint rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2012
Kristian
Kristian rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Rory
Rory rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2009
Haylee
Haylee rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2009
Eddie Fitte
Eddie Fitte rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Black Coffee Press
Snapshots of real life scrawled on stained napkins. Pure poetry as it should be.
Tony O'Neill
Tony O'Neill rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
James Curtin
James Curtin rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2011
Spiff
Spiff rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2008
Sherry Hall
Sherry Hall rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Petter
Petter rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2011
Enrico Stanic
Enrico Stanic rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Aidan
Aidan rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Lynda
Lynda rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Amber J.
Amber J. rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Suzen Rodriguez
Suzen Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2010
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
William
William rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2012
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2009
Brian Carlin
Brian Carlin rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016