Start by marking “The Fertility Diet” as Want to Read:
The Fertility Diet

The Fertility Diet

More than 6,000,000 women in the United States alone experience infertility problems. This fertility-boosting guide features the research results on fertility from the Nurses' Health Study, and ten nutritional guidelines offer medical advice on how to improve your chances of conception.
Published November 1st 2007 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about The Fertility Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fertility Diet

Rebecca
May 13, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women who want to eat ice cream under the guise of improving their reproductive health! :o)
Recommended to Rebecca by: Diane Rehm Show (author interview)
This is the most down-to-earth, cover-all, explain-all book I have ever read, and what shocks me most it that it is talking about food! In a world of fad diets and twisted ideas about what the word "health" really means, it was really such a relief to discover this book. I heard the author being interviewed by Diane Rehm on NPR and subsequently picked up the book from the library as soon as it was released. In reviewing my previous and current food/health habits, I discovered that the ten major ...more
Megan
Apr 05, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
Actually I only read half of this book before someone else wanted it from the library. I thought the 10 steps at the very beginning were good advice but it was all stuff that I knew like eat more vegetable protein, eat more whole grains, exercise, drink lots of water, stay away from trans fats etc. The rest of what I read was pretty repetitive but that's how most of these books are, because if they were succinct their book would be 20 pages long and then they couldn't charge $29.95 for it :-)
Bonnie
Jun 17, 2008 Bonnie rated it liked it
In my ever-searching quest for nutritional info, I found this interesting. Pretty common sense, but I liked the parts that said I could drink some caffeine and that I should have a full-fat serving of dairy everyday. Ice cream anyone? It also did a great job of explaining insulin and the ways blood sugar affects hormones.
Laurie Bartee
Aug 02, 2008 Laurie Bartee rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!! This really opens your mind to what are the options for eating healthy... which can really mean so many things. I found the milk research very fascinating and used it to aid my own fertility.
jess
Sep 06, 2009 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book is driven by conclusions drawn from the Nurses Health Study. The NHS was a multi-decade study of over 120,000 female RN's, and tracked everything from diet and exercise to lifestyle choices. With all that data, patterns start to emerge, and a lot of people have been trying to make sense of it. So, here's a book that attempts to draw conclusions between certain lifestyle practices, and increased fertility, with all other factors being equal or accounted for (smoking, birth control use, ...more
Nicole
Aug 28, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
The Fertility diet was a fascinating book. I really enjoyed everything I've learned in this book about nutrition and health, especially for women. Since the findings in the book are based off the Nurses Health Study, which was focused on women, the tips are specifically for women, which is great.

I've tried to apply the things I learned in this book to my eating habits. The goal is to stabilize and even out blood sugar, and I feel I've done that, as my cravings have significantly decreased. I'm w
Erin
Feb 28, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
As my husband and I started talking about trying for baby #2, I wanted to make sure I was healthier this time around. It took a while to conceive my first baby and I am now three years older. I want to make sure that I have a better pregnancy than my previous one. I had gestational diabetes and was induced three weeks early.

The book gave a lot of great tips on how to improve my chances of ovulating and having a healthy pregnancy. These tips were healthy lifestyle tips, in general, but they weren
Bethany
Dec 14, 2012 Bethany rated it did not like it
Shelves: un-pretend
I really just skimmed through this, since it really could have been covered in an article rather than a whole book. Basically says "follow the food pyramid and eat lots of carbs." Totally lost faith when I saw "if you must drink soda, at least drink diet." The whole milk/dairy bit was the only interesting insight.
Perhaps this is a good starting point if you aren't familiar with nutrition and how the body processes food, as it does have some decent explanations of the digestive/endocrine system.
Abby
Nov 11, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: prenatal
Basically a prenatal-focused regurgitation of Willet's earlier book. Still great information, though, and worth a read if you are family planning. It's a worthy read if you're just starting to think about getting pregnant and a must read if you've been trying for a while and haven't had much success. The information is accessible, without a ton of jargon, and the recommendations are easy to understand and follow. I share this book with all my prenatal students because it's never too late to make ...more
Skye
Apr 02, 2014 Skye rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, I liked this book. Finished it in a number of days and it gave me a lot to ponder and take into consideration. I was diagnosed with PCOS and picked up this book just to see what it had to say in regards to diet and fertility and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm already doing everything on the list, so it gave me piece of mind, but it also gave me some vital information in regards to early pregnancy and such.
Kayla Breed
Jan 06, 2011 Kayla Breed rated it really liked it
This book was great for me since i had a hard time getting pregnant. It has great tips on vitamins to take, which workouts are appropriate and even what the guy should be doing to help you concieve. I originally bought this book because it talks a little bit about PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome) and how to combat it in order to get pregnant. Worked for me!
Janet
Sep 15, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
About 15% of US couples are infertile according to the standard definition of trying to conceive for 1 year with no pregnancy, and less than a third of those couples have problems with ovulation. This book only deals with that third. It's not relevant to women who ovulate regularly. I'm surprised that the Nurses' Health Study didn't use a broader definition of infertility to begin with.
Krista
Jul 25, 2011 Krista rated it really liked it
This book is excellent, and most of the dietary advice is great for your general health (not just fertility), so if you build the habits, you can just keep doing them and live very well. What I love about this book is that it's not "all or nothing" - you can get the benefits by doing just a few of the recommendations. Plus, who doesn't love a diet that includes a serving of ice cream daily? :)
Christine Harms
Jan 07, 2014 Christine Harms rated it really liked it
Scientific without being inaccessible, this book was full of practical, realistic suggestions. My only disappointment is that they didn't analyze the role of faux sugars like aspartame and Sucralose in ovulatory infertility. In fact, they even advocated drinking diet soda at one point, which many health experts agree is not a good idea for lifelong health. But overall, a helpful resource.
Vicky
Feb 18, 2012 Vicky rated it it was ok
Being in the medical field, I already knew most of the nutrition that I should be following. There were a few things I learned. I think if someone were starting off without very little knowledge this would be helpful.
Andrea
Dec 27, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
While this book was an interested read I didn't really get any earth shattering information from it. Yes of course diet can effect fertility. I think if you don't eat a well balanced, healthy diet this book would probably benifit you.
Bridget
Jul 24, 2009 Bridget rated it it was ok
After going thru this fertility journey 3 years, this book didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. Good for someone just starting their journey.
Michele
Jul 02, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing
This book explained things in a way I could understand. It explained things I have heard in the past but never understood. I am trying lots of things out if nothing more, to be more healthy.
Betsy Murray
May 18, 2008 Betsy Murray rated it really liked it
Well you can see where my head is... :) Not much new here but I like that there are recipes to help you apply the recommendations from the Nurse's study.
Ash
Jun 21, 2016 Ash rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Most of the information in this book I've seen before at a doctors office or in a health class, but I did like the simplicity of how everything was explained.
Andrea
Mar 31, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women trying to conceive or have a healthy pregnancy
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Just a specialty diet book: what to eat and what not to. I'll let you know any really important parts.
Started: 3/30/09
Paused: 4/13/09
Re-started: 5/30/09
Paused: 6/1/09
Finished:
pps
Becca
Apr 06, 2009 Becca rated it it was ok
What I liked most about this book was their down to earth, don't get all excited and take things out of proportion, approach to things.
Nicolette Bernhardt
Nov 09, 2010 Nicolette Bernhardt rated it liked it
This was a good book, but unfortunately did not teach me things that I did not already know. However, it was nice to be reminded of how important it is to be healthy and fit before TTC!
Katie
Nov 03, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
Interesting info on dairy. Nearly everything in this seems commonsense to me. Increase exercise, water, fruits and veggies, reduce meat, don't smoke etc. etc.
Mandi Martini
Mandi Martini rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Tasha Bruton
Tasha Bruton rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2015
Shuchi Desai
Shuchi Desai rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Sharon Joag
Sharon Joag rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2008
TheRose
TheRose rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The PCOS Diet Plan: A Natural Approach to Health for Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • The Healthy Pregnancy Book: Month by Month, Everything You Need to Know from America's Baby Experts
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods
  • Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • The Infertility Cure: The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for Getting Pregnant and Having Healthy Babies
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • Write To Sell
  • The Body Broken: A Memoir
  • Good Girls Don't Get Fat: How Weight Obsession Is Messing Up Our Girls and How We Can Help Them Thrive Despite It
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache