Start by marking “The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)” as Want to Read:
The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)

The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  808 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Can a length of lace—more air than thread—be her family's salvation?

Housemaid Anne Webster will stop at nothing to save her family from their dire circumstances. Even if it means accepting the proposal of the roguish Ruel Chouteau, Marquess of Blackthorne, who has just returned to England from the Americas under a veil of mystery. Both have their own agendas—she to use his
Published September 11th 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bachelor's Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bachelor's Bargain

The Tutor's Daughter by Julie KlassenThe Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie KlassenThe Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie KlassenThe Silent Governess by Julie KlassenLady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen
Christian Regency Fiction
17th out of 70 books — 44 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
353rd out of 913 books — 1,059 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Okay, okay, I really shouldn't give this book five stars, because there were things I didn't care for, but I absolutely loved the characters and story so much that I can't help rate it for enjoyment alone. It's definitely my favorite in the series. It is a true romance, and that's where part of my objections come in.

First, I thought there was undue attention on her wanting to have relations with her husband and yet not wanting to fully seal the wreckage of her future she knows is coming. There's
Ashley
Apr 12, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Now, I've never been a big Regency fan *ducks for cover* so, when I read the first book in the Miss.Pickworth series, The Affectionate Adversary, I was less then thrilled. But, I still wanted to read the other two books in the series , just to see how the story played out. And whoa baby, was I surprised at how much I LOVED reading The Bachelor's Bargain. We first meet Anne webster in The Affectionate Adversary, as the lowly handmaid, whose minister father, is imprisoned and needs her help. Where ...more
Iola
Aug 24, 2011 Iola rated it it was ok
Started badly with a spelling mistake/typo on page 5 (the 'tony Belgravia district'??), the marriage of convenience that was never properly legalised (marriage without banns or marriage license was deemed an 'irregular marriage', and was only legal in Scotland or Fleet Prison), and a Christian heroine marrying an unbeliever - this book runs the risk of being memorable for all the wrong reasons.

The story was very formula Regency Romance - naive virgin meets wearied rake, they agree to a marriage
Kristy
Dec 02, 2010 Kristy rated it it was amazing
This is one of my new favorites. There were so many elements to this book, attempted murder, scandal, war, adventure and my favorite... love. I did not realize this was book number 2 in the Miss Pickworth series. I hate reading series books out of order. I really wish they would number the books on the covers!! Although if this book was numbered, I probably would not have bought it because the store I bought it at was closing and they didn't have the first book available, I went back and checked ...more
Sara ♥
This book was WAY better than the first book in the series!

Anne Webster needs some way to help her family out... Her father was a minister, but he got thrown in jail due to his affiliation with some anti-industrializationists. Yeah, I'm sure that's a word. Anyway, so she's this AWESOME lace maker, and she's crafted a beautiful piece of lace and tries to sell it to Sir Alexander (Ruel Chouteau, Marquess of Blackthorne's younger brother)... Except wow, that doesn't go very well and Ruel comes in,
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
Nov 13, 2014 Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation rated it liked it
Shelves: regency, 2010
This was a little unexpected, it turned out to be a little more historical fiction than regency romance, although it did have enough romance to keep me happy. I liked Anne & Ruel’s characters a lot, they have good chemistry and I loved the passages between them, especially early on in their marriage. It was fun to watch their relationship grow and although they had their ups and downs, it only made them stronger. Overall, I enjoyed the story, but at times felt a little bogged down by history ...more
Elise Wilson
Dec 28, 2010 Elise Wilson rated it liked it
Well, this is my first time reading a Catherine Palmer book and I chose it because of the positive reviews written I had seen. However, I tend to be in agreement with the "average" rated reviewers. Personally, I just could not buy into the supposed developing love relationship between hero and heroine. Interestingly enough, I sort of liked both characters Ruel and Anne, and their individual stories, but just didn't see the chemistry between them. And at times I found Anne to be a bit self-center ...more
Carolyn
Sep 04, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
A great read. The story of the Earl of Blackthorne and his unexpected bride. The Earl looks to the financial future of his estate through the skill of his low born wife who is a master lace maker and designer. A close look at the battle between the industrial revolution vs the workers, plus the Battle of Waterloo.
I enjoyed this novel.
Brandy
Sep 09, 2014 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Tammy
Oct 22, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it
Setting: England 1815
Characters: Ruel and Anne
The end was good, but through most of the book I did not like Anne. She was so negative and didn't trust anyone. She wouldn't see the truth even when it stared her in the face.
Gloria
Jun 22, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it
A very engrossing read. As Anna and Ruel grow closer in their marriage, the danger grows closer. At one point, each person believes the other killed at Waterloo. This book introduces Miss Prudence Watson and her affection for Mr. Walker, an American Indian. (view spoiler) ...more
Mandy
Feb 21, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing. At points the story is touching and will put you in tears and at others you are screaming at the characters. This story is wonderful! Two stubborn people can not resist the temptation to fall deeply in love with each other but they both cover it up like a charade pretending their "Marriage" is fake. Can they overcome their deep passionate feelings for one another or will they part their separate ways?
Larik
May 28, 2013 Larik rated it it was amazing
This beat all!!! From the battle between classes and the battle inside their home to the real battlefield. Their tag of words and love/hate relationship her wish for annulment and his desire to never let her go bring them both to the altar of our Almighty God that heals hearts, does justice and brings ultimate happy ending.. Perfect blend-- my favorite of all Palmer's books. :)
Erin(and Hannah)
Apr 18, 2008 Erin(and Hannah) rated it did not like it
A thought I'd give another "christian" author a try that was recommended to me. I thought it was quite contrived, predictable and fairly lame. While the author had some good lines written for her heroine, I couldn't get over the "hero" in the book being a loser. Not one of the better authors out there. Not even worthy of my suggesting it for a "brain candy" read.
Britney
Jan 20, 2011 Britney rated it really liked it
3.5 but 4 stars because it was so clean...no racy love scenes, no language at all...which is rare. I felt like the beginning was a little slow, not too bad, the mid to the end it became "couldnt put it down"...it was frustrating to read at parts because you just want them to move past the "bargain" stages but its really a good book. i read it in two days.
Elisa
Aug 11, 2014 Elisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Some parts were hard to follow, but I wasn't sure if that was just because I was so eager to keep finding out what was going to happen. I really like how well-researched the history seemed to be. The storyline was questionable at times, but overall, I was really engaged the whole time and enjoyed the story and its characters.
Melissa
Jun 12, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
So overall I liked this book. I found it kind of hard to believe that a Marquess would marry his housemaid when he didn't know her but for a couple of days. So what they ended up having a happily ever after. A little far fetched for me. But I guess most romances are. I liked it because it was a clean romance.
Jun 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: inspirational
Intriguing just because I am always curious how the guy and girl get together. Completely impractical, unbelievable, and sensational how it happens though. And the conversion of the guy is so not present. It just happens at the end. Like, literally, he shows up one day and believes in God. Did not care for the plot.
Nov 24, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
This is not normally the type of that I would even enjoy (a non-believer marrying and believer as part of a deal) however, the author used it to make a point about following God's will (as in the girl God it wrong and got herself into the mess) and I really enjoyed the story. Not for younger readers.
Cary
Feb 05, 2009 Cary rated it liked it
This is one of those books that won a Christy Award. The Christian authors thingy. Anyhoo no sex except kissing and hand holding but the story engaged me and I have checked out another one by the same author to see if it was a fluke!
Brenda
Aug 31, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
This was so much better than the prior book in the series. Christian lit with not as much preaching. The characters were fun and likable and actually grew and evolved so much in the story. Fun marriage of convenience book with a HEA :)
Alyssa
Mar 09, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
A housemaid agrees to a fake marriage to save her family. Fun read, but not sophisticated or well-developed. Some parts had great promise, but I felt that it is so pale in comparison to an author like Georgette Heyer.
Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catherine-palmer
I really like this book! It's actually probably not that well written (I read awhile ago at the same time I was reading a bunch of other books so I can't remember all the details like that) She is so sneaky!
Etinosa Omoigiade
Jun 02, 2013 Etinosa Omoigiade rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book! I enjoyed it tremendously. If you fancy a book that will take you back to England in the 19th century with a love story and some suspense, this is the right one for you. Enjoy!
Kristen
Mar 20, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book was a pretty predictable. I had a hard time getting through it because it was pretty boring at times. It did get better the last few chapters but nothing worth recommending.
Kendra
Feb 01, 2011 Kendra rated it liked it
I liked the story but I think she had a pretty bad ending. It was like she just gave up and wanted to just finish the book. The rest of the book was pretty good.
Holly Renee
Jul 04, 2011 Holly Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Palmer does a great job with a story that will engage you in romantic tension from the very first page. These characters will catpure your imagination.
Highland-dreamer
Jul 23, 2011 Highland-dreamer rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I thought the end could've been better. Maybe even an epilogue! It just wrapped up and ended far too quickly.
Marci
Sep 25, 2015 Marci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ooh i just can't rate this right now ... very good book, but way too much sexual tension for a Christian book, in my opinion. :(
Kemily
Mar 12, 2013 Kemily rated it it was amazing
One of my personal favorite books! Thoroughly enjoyed this lovely tale of strength, history, and romance!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 04:14PM
  • Winter Is Past
  • Riona (Fires of Gleannmara, #2)
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • The Red Siren (Charles Towne Belles #1)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • The Carousel Painter
  • Castles: Kingdom Divided/Alas My Love/If Only/Five Geese Flying
  • All the Tea in China
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)
  • Written on Silk (The Silk House, #2)
  • A Bride for a Bit
  • The Maverick (Men of the Saddle #3)

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has
More about Catherine Palmer...

Miss Pickworth Series (3 books)
  • The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1)
  • The Courteous Cad (Miss Pickworth Series #3)