Start by marking “God Sees the Truth, but Waits” as Want to Read:
God Sees the Truth, but Waits

God Sees the Truth, but Waits

Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Published May 1st 1986 by Creative Education (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about God Sees the Truth, but Waits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Sees the Truth, but Waits

Sanjay Gautam
Jun 09, 2014 Sanjay Gautam rated it it was amazing
This is the story that inspired Stephen King's great novella - 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption'.

Wisdom comes as a gift along with this beautiful story.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A deceptively simple short story from Leo Tolstoy, written in 1872, about a wealthy, carefree young man falsely accused of murder. I was fascinated by the parallelism between the events at the beginning of the story and those at the end, including:

• a crucial conversation with someone
• a run-in with authority
• a follow-up conversation with the same person
• the steep downward trend of Aksionov's material, worldly fortunes with each event, but a corresponding upward trend in his spirituality.

It's
Kurt Walters
Oct 26, 2008 Kurt Walters rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the meaning of forgiveness.
Recommended to Kurt by: friend
This is simply one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. Forgiveness is something undervalued nowadays.
Luan Morina
Sep 20, 2015 Luan Morina rated it really liked it
'leave it to the God to judge...' is something my mum always tells me... it's way better, easier to live this way, but...
this book, although pretty short has in itself the act of forgiveness... has a good morale story behind it, but I'm not sure I agree with it entirely...
Naveed Nawaz
Dec 13, 2014 Naveed Nawaz rated it really liked it

Iyyaka Nabudu wa iyyaka nasta-een. Whatever these great russians wrote, it didn't fail to touch your heart. Forgiveness, kindness, patience and empathy are the most important things in life. No matter what Allah puts you through, face it thankfully and humbly. HE knows best. Be forgiving because HE likes those the most who are forgiving. Beautiful beautiful little story.
Ken Moten
[Update 11/25/2015]: With Thanksgiving Day (U.S.) tomorrow this story is on my mind again. Ti seemed like Tolstoy looked at the Book of Job and said, "I can write better than this, in half the time." This story pushes the very limits of what redemption and forgiveness is and it asks hard questions of the reader. As short as it is, I feel it has an even deeper message than The Death of Ivan Ilyich.

[Original Review]:
I guess by Russian standards this could be considered to have a happier ending. I
Kennedy Ifeh
Feb 18, 2014 Kennedy Ifeh rated it really liked it
dely
Dec 27, 2014 dely rated it really liked it
Aksionov, ingiustamente accusato dell'omicidio di un mercante, viene mandato in Siberia dove trascorrerà ventisei anni della sua vita. La giustizia lo condanna e anche la moglie dubita della sua innocenza; Aksionov, sentendosi abbandonato da tutti, si affida a Dio tramite la preghiera. Solo Dio conosce la verità ma non interviene. Un giorno nel campo di lavoro arriva il vero assassino che aveva fatto ricadere le colpe su Aksionov.
Tema principale del racconto è il perdono e la fede in Dio.
Amalie
This one deserves five stars. There are so many meaningful layers and the fact the title sounds paradoxical makes the story even better. I read this with the group so I don't feel the need to review again. Anyone who's interested can checkout the discussion thread.

.إيم
Nov 06, 2014 .إيم rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 to 2 stars at most
It Could have been written in a better way. Morever, I don't really support this complete and utter forgivness.
I count on some longer works of Tolstoy, because it didn't work out with the short ones.
Patrice
Mar 05, 2014 Patrice rated it it was amazing
"It seems that only God can know the truth, it is to Him alone we must appeal, and from Him alone expect mercy."
Violet
Dec 22, 2014 Violet rated it really liked it
Chrissy
Jun 01, 2011 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I read an edited edition of this story (so I don't know if there was any bad language or anything), but it was a moving story about injustice, forgiveness, and victory. I definitely recommend it!!
Sylvia
Sep 14, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Read this in my very early teens and it made me cry...a decade later it still does. a beautiful but sad tale.
Alicia
Nov 30, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
Good short story by Tolstoy with a powerful message about forgiveness.

From another Goodreads reader: "It's a thoughtful take on the theme that God doesn't necessarily rescue us physically from terrible, unfair events, but that spiritual growth may come from personal trials. " -Tadiana
Pedro
Mar 25, 2016 Pedro rated it liked it
Shelves: das-novelas
Na última recensão crítica escrevi sobre a pena de morte e a pena de prisão. Neste vou apenas tratar da pena de prisão. Talvez devesse ter começado por analisar as penas individualmente antes de as ter analisado em conjunto.

A grande diferença entre Turgenev e Chekhov, e Dostoevskij e Tolstoj é a importância da religião. Tolstoj é dos quatro o mais religioso, pelo menos aparenta ser nas suas obras, pois em todas as obras que li dele a religião é sempre uma grande tema. Neste conto Tolstoj escrev
Josephine
Jan 11, 2014 Josephine rated it it was amazing
M. Özgür
In somewhere throughout the text, Tolstoy makes Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov say to himself that,

I remember these very words from opening part of the holy book, and that was really striking!

According to my opinion, this short story points out the useless of struggling against His will and one should accept what is his/her destiny.

Aksionov seems to portray a very selfish character, at the e
Travis
Oct 02, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
Oddly enough, there are a lot of parallels between this and Stephen King's "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", but with one focusing on grace, and the other on hope. They both feature a man framed for murdering someone at an inn. The man petitions for his freedom, but eventually resigns himself to his fate in prison. He becomes a go-between for the prisoners and the guards. Then a new prisoner arrives, one who might be able to free the man. An escape plot is hatched involving digging a ...more
Jackie Hilaire
Feb 05, 2016 Jackie Hilaire rated it really liked it
Only God can give forgiveness. Leo Tolstoy.

Tolstoy's character, the person who had been offended was asked forgiveness and the offended man raised it up to God. The confessor (the person who performed the bad deed) was able to accept forgiveness and was grateful and healed of his many sins.

Therefore both were healed at the same moment.

God asks us to forgive those who have trespassed against us. If we forgive first, than God will send us graces that will heal us and those we have offended.

"Remove
Johanna Gail Tongco
Sep 09, 2014 Johanna Gail Tongco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, action, love, faith
Ever doubted on God? The book lives with its title, God truly sees the truth but waits. At times we may think that God is unfair because we are able to experience injustices in our lives, but as you read the book, you would get to learn the value of waiting.
Waiting for something may really be very hard. We wantonly striving for those certain goals in our lives, but while waiting, we tend to be more faithful to God. On the process of waiting as well, we got to change for the better. But it all de
Janin
Aug 17, 2012 Janin rated it liked it
It seems to me that God Sees the Truth-- then sends it as a dream warning through the wife. Ignoring that warning has dire consequences-- and like Job, Aksionov suffers through them retaining his faith. Perhaps it's a sign that fate cannot be avoided. Perhaps it's a commentary that through good and evil, ones innate nature doesn't change. Or perhaps it's a suggestion not to laugh at dreamed warnings.
Febrian Lengkong
Jan 29, 2017 Febrian Lengkong rated it it was amazing
I found this story give me deja vu. I think I know the story earlier. And yes. I thought that this is the story that inspired Shawshank Redemption (which is I just saw before I read this original). So that, because I thought that I've heard this story before, so this is not surprised me so much. But because Shawshank Redemption is a very inspirational and shocking movie, that inspired by this story, then 5 star to this story is worth it.
Annelyse
Dec 05, 2013 Annelyse rated it it was amazing
An Amazing short story about a merchant and how an unexpected even changes his life for the worse, but in a way, for the better. Definatly one of the better short stories I have been able to read while in my English class. This story is really good at getting you to think and really does give you a view on things you wouldnt really think of before.

All together, just an superb story.
Keith
Mar 26, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing
"God Sees the Truth, but Waits" is a tragic and emotional short story of an innocent man who is sent to prison in Siberia for 26 years for a murder he did not commit. At the end of the novel he dies, even though the actual killer confesses. The story centers around guilt, religion and forgiveness. I first read this story when I was a teenager.
story can also be found at: online-literature.com
Aseel
Sep 26, 2014 Aseel rated it it was amazing
When they were gone, Aksionov recalled what had been said, and when he remembered that his wife also had suspected him, he said to himself, "It seems that only God can know the truth; it is to Him alone we must appeal, and from Him alone expect mercy."

And Aksionov wrote no more petitions; gave up all hope, and only prayed to God
Rose
Oct 10, 2012 Rose rated it it was amazing
This is the most beautiful short story I've read
I cried when I read it; this is a powerful wakeup call for those of us who are trapped by worldy and materialistic things, when God is the only thing that matters.
M. Azhaari Shah Sulaiman
Accused of murder, a crime that he never commited ; Dmitrich Aksionov said to himself that, " It seems that only God can know the truth ; it is to Him alone we must appeal, and from Him alone expect mercy."

baca Tolstoy pun rasa insaf.
James Biser
Dec 08, 2015 James Biser rated it really liked it
When you work through a Russian author, it is nice to find a short story. God Sees the Truth, But Waits is brief, but still shares a rich story. It is the dark quality of a Russian writer, in few pages of prose.
Dinda Tisi
Jun 09, 2011 Dinda Tisi rated it it was amazing
This is one of few short stories that i've read multiple times. Clearly one of the best Tolstoy's short stories. I describe it as a short story with a great moral message. I was so touched when i read it.
  • The Bet
  • Pigs Is Pigs
  • The Trial For Murder
  • The Devoted Friend
  • The World's Greatest Unsolved Crimes
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...