Start by marking “A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)

A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Fever Devilin is a folklorist who fled the fevered halls of academia to return home to the Blue Mountain region of the Georgia Appalachians and a hopefully quiet life. While ona trip collecting folklore, Fever spots an apparition at a railroad crossing. Such apparitions are traditionally omens of evil, and when he returns home he finds his suspicions are accurate: his frie ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Minister's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Minister's Ghost

LJ
A MINISTER’S GHOST (Amateur Sleuth/Folklorist-Georgia-Cont) – G+
DePoy, Phillip – 3rd in series
St. Martin’s Press, 2006 – Hardcover
Fever Devilin is the son of carnival owners, an ex-professor and folklorist who has returned to his hometown. He learns from his girlfriend, Lucinda, that her two nieces have been killed; they were in their car, sitting on the railroad tracks when it was hit by a train. But Lucinda is certain there is something suspicious about their death and asks Fever to investigat
M.
As I get back into reading fiction -- mysteries in particular -- I am reminded of one of the most important ingredients in a successful book: a likeable lead character. That is a home run here with Fever Devilin, a folklorist who recently returned to his hometown of Blue Mountain in the Georgia Appalachians. The more I read, the more I realized that I really liked Fever. Like Philip Dryden in Jim Kelly's The Water Clock, Fever is not the fearless, barrel-chested hero who rips open his shirt to r ...more
Trilby
Melissa Cabo
This was unpredictable and well-written. I plan to make it available to my 11th grade students as it is a great vocabulary builder! The author chooses sophisticated words that can easily be defined in context. The two major characters around which the plot builds (deceased sisters) are made remarkably poignant even though we only read about them through the memories of the active(living) characters. It is worth reading!
Marcy Skala
Apr 02, 2012 Marcy Skala rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcy by: EBMRG
Shelves: mystery
Helen
Oct 09, 2009 Helen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Meh, it was a fast read but there was very little character development. Why would I even care about the main character? All I know about him is that he is scared of dogs, used to be a professor, his parents are dead and he moved back to their house, he's into folklore, wears black and likes to eat. Other than his being scared, we don't find out any of his feelings about anything. I was interested in the mystery at first, though I found the little midget dude to be the most interesting person in ...more
Sheila Beaumont
I really enjoyed this hard-to-put-down mystery, and I'm glad to have found this new-to-me, relatively unknown author. The cast of characters is filled with fascinating, eccentric people, especially the narrator and protagonist, Fever Devilin, a professor and folklorist who has returned to his hometown in the Appalachians.

In this story, he is investigating a suspicious accident at a railroad crossing in which two teenage sisters have been killed. The vivid Southern small-town setting, excellent d
Margot Jennifer
It's kind of an awful book. Might be better if I'd read the previous two books, maybe that would help make the characters seem more probable. Or like-able. The story is ridiculous.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really enjoy Fever Devilin novels - although I admit they are not for everyone. There are detail people and there are possibilities people. Fever Devilin is for possibilities people :)
The characters are amazing, the stories are filled with possibilities and unique interpretations.
As one person said "The characters include little people, a ghost, a snake-handling preacher, hobos, a junk-yard dealer with a unique musical instrument and Fever's best friend, the sheriff who is not acting like hims
George
#3 in the Fever Devilin mystery series set in rural northern Georgia. University professor in folklore, Devilin has returned to his very rural mountain Georgia home where he finds that he is good at solving mysteries. He becomes involved in finding out why two teenage sisters died in a railroad crossing train accident. He soon finds there is more of a dark side to his area than he had realized as he works his way finding out what happened at the crossing. Several encounters with a wandering sini ...more
Catherine Woodman
There are so many different parts of the South, it becomes difficult to create a true picture of the region, but Phillip DePoy's A MINISTER'S GHOST is both accurate and electric as he weaves a twisted tale of suspense.
Fever Delvin is a collector of the tales of his home area in the GA mountains. The death of two young women on a railroad crossing leads Fever on a twisted path to discover the truth before someone else falls victim to a crafty killer. He meets unexpected resistance from his old f
Sharon Michael
Third in this series and for me, might be the best so far. A more defined and developed mystery along with the paranormal issues and more character development with the main characters.

This is a very off-beat series and I find them very addictive. The characters are unique and well developed, the writing is often lyrical and the plot lines intricate. Don't know if I will end up re-reading the series often, but I cannot resist ordering the next and I can't put them down when I'm reading.

Grey853
When two girls are killed by a train, the protagonist Fever Devilin tries to find out what really happened. Why would they just park their car on a train track and be crushed?

What he finds is a series of bizarre characters and a very twisty plot.

While this book had great potential, it got weighed down by all the literary allusions and the attempt to add a supernatural element to the story. Still, it kept my interest because few of the people are what they seem to be.
Ruth
3rd in Fever Devilin Series. Focus is on finding out who is responsible for the deaths of Lucinda's nieces. Initially it appears a tragic accident … their VW hit by train, but all isn't as it appears. Andrew is in Atlanta and then London. Sheriff Skid is investigation the drug problem in town with help of Melissa who is rumored to be his mistress. Fever gets assistance from an albino dwarf hit man. Oh, and the Deveroe brothers are in charge of the local funeral home.
Christina
The Fever Devilin Mystery series has really become a dark horse favorite for me; I love the way that the Georgia Appalachians became not just the setting, but a silent character in these books. Our protagonist Fever is fully formed: you get a real sense of him, and through him, for the characters who surround him.
This third book in the series pulls some of the peripheral characters a bit closer to center stage, and has both a tragic vibe, and an eerie one.
Steph
I'd like to give this book 4 1/2 stars. It's an excellent little mystery, a well-rounded story with my favorite elements: a good story, unexpected events, and clean... no gore, sex or graphic violence. I appreciate an author who can spin a modern mystery with flair, unique characters I care about and keep it PG. It was refreshing to read, as well as being very good. I can't wait to look for other Fever Devilin mysteries!!
Sian Jones
DePoy writes two series of mysteries, one worth reading (the Fever Devlin series) and one that's above-average, but mostly throwaway (the Easy series). Tragically, here he tries to combine the two, grafting on a plot and characters that would be right at home in the Easy series onto the far more subtle and complex Fever Devlin series. The result makes me cry.
Ruth
I randomly grabbed this off the library shelf and found I enjoyed it. All at the same time its sad, funny, romantic and touching. plus there are some tantalizing food references.. I'll definitely try and read another one of his books.
Ann
I enjoy this series, the setting is a treasure trove of colorful characters and raw nature, a place where when it gets dark at night, it is really dark, and where folklore and superstition are just beneath the surface.
Elizabeth
While I like this series this book was a little sadder and not that mysterious. It is still a very good read and I will be reading the next THE WIDOW 'S CURSE.
Hollym
This book was good but not great. I would read another book by this author if I came across one but will not actively seek one out.
Hapzydeco
Good read. Emphasis on mythology and psychology. Devilin is a folklorist from the hill-country of the Appalachians.
Sage Streck
I think this might be my favorite Fever Devilin mystery thus far! DePoy truly has a gift for language.
Alys
A page turner where none of the characters are quite what you think.
Pamela
read this series!
Aryn
Aryn is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2014
Keri Shirk
Keri Shirk marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Above the Law
  • Vertical Burn
  • O' Artful Death
  • The Cure
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • The Hanging Hill (Haunted Mystery, #2)
  • Exact Revenge
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • Small Town: A Novel of New York
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Dead Lines: A Novel of Life . . . After Death
  • Frozen
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • Under the Dog Star (Rachel Goddard Mystery #4)
  • In His Image (The Christ Clone Trilogy, #1)
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr ...more
More about Phillip DePoy...
The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2) The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1) The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5) A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4) A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)