Start by marking “The Cincinnati Red Stalkings” as Want to Read:
The Cincinnati Red Stalkings

The Cincinnati Red Stalkings (Mickey Rawlings #5)

The lazy days of June 1921 are dark ones for baseball fans as the trial of the Chicago "Black Sox" players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series begins. But utility infielder Mickey Rawlings thinks he has something to cheer about -- playing for the team that won that series, the Cincinnati Reds. Until he gets embroiled in a mix of conspiracy, lies, and murder that can ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Kensington (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Cincinnati Red Stalkings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cincinnati Red Stalkings

Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
Tied in the Pick It For Me thread at A Good Thriller for August.

I really, really love this series. Not only is it baseball. But it's old-timey baseball. This book starts in the wake of the 1919 Black Sox scandal and Mickey is now a utility baseball player for the Reds (who played the Black Sox in the infamously thrown World Series).

This series is wonderful for the real people thrown in. The first commissioner for baseball, references to the trial against Sacco & Vanzetti, Hollywood, World
Andrew
Jan 17, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
The Cincinnati Red Stalkings is fifth in a series of six similar books, so in some respects this is a review of the whole series. I really like the series, and I think this is the best of the bunch so far. I've often thought that if time travel were possible, I'd really like to go back in time and spend time at baseball games from different eras. I think this quote from the book does a nice job summing up my feelings:

I wasn't sure what it is about baseball that makes such a phenomenon possible,
Jeff
Jul 24, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Troy Soos, or his fictional baseball player, Mickey Rawlings, until my Dad gave me this book that he had read. This book was so much fun, and I can't wait to get my hands on another one. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a HUGE baseball fan, so finding an adult fiction book that centers around baseball was truly amazing.
The Cincinnati Red Stalkings is a mystery set in 1921, as Mickey Rawlings, a utility infielder for the Cincinnati Red Stockings, attempts to solve several
Spuddie
Dec 29, 2009 Spuddie rated it it was amazing
This actually refers to the audio book, which for some reason I could not get to come up, despite using the ISBN.

This is one of the later books in the Mickey Rawlings "baseball" series set in the late 1910's/early 1920's. I needed an audiobook quickly to listen to on a long drive, and this one was there, so I snabbed it--very uncharacteristic for me, who never reads series out of order! Mickey is a utility infielder who's been traded all over the league, currently doing duty with the Cincinnati
Anne Hawn Smith
May 21, 2011 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it
Troy Soos writes a great story for baseball fans, of which I am one. I love the stories about the earlier days of baseball when the salaries weren't so high and players weren't so removed from the fans. This mystery takes place in 1921, the year that the Chicago "Black Socks" were supposed to have thrown the world series. I had always heard about it and felt that Shoeless Joe Jackson got a raw deal, but I never understood all the mysteries surrounding the scandal. While that isn't the the major ...more
Christopher Taylor
Jan 20, 2016 Christopher Taylor rated it really liked it
This is the second baseball mystery by Troy Soos I've read, and they both were enjoyable. I'm a fan of baseball, history, mysteries, and baseball history, so this is right in my wheelhouse, as it were. Each book is rich with local details of the cities Rawlings lives in and plays for, baseball lore from the time period, and the mysteries are enjoyable. Rawlings is hardly a top sleuth, but he is persistent and lucky, and with some help he digs up the truth.

People who love baseball, history, myste
ladywallingford
This book was definitely not my normal reading fare, mainly for two reasons. One, I don't read many fictional mystery novels (but I do enjoy History's mysteries). I honestly don't know why. Two, the book featured baseball. However, even with those two points weighing against it, I didn't hate the novel but at the same time, it felt sort of bland. Nothing really popped out at me all throughout it. Maybe a true baseball fan could appreciate it more. As for me, I doubt I'll be reading any other nov ...more
Jake
Jan 26, 2013 Jake rated it really liked it
I read some Troy Soos novels as a kid. I really enjoyed the concept of an old-time baseball player solving murders in the early days of the league. This one doesn't disappoint, it's well-plotted with a good mystery (that stretches a little too much near the end but still) set amidst the rich backdrop of the game and the era. I look forward to reading more of this series now that I'm older and can appreciate it more.
Sandy
Apr 20, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
As always, I thoroughly enjoyed the world of Mickey Rawlings. It was interesting to read about what baseball was like during the fallout of the Black Sox scandal.

I thought the mystery was rather complicated, it took some work to keep all of the threads straight in my mind while they were being unraveled.
Tim Owens
Mar 07, 2016 Tim Owens rated it really liked it
Mickey Rawlings has settled into the role of utility infielder after 9 years in the majors. His new team the, Reds, is planning a memorabilia exhibit of the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings, who went undefeated in a historic coast-to-coast romp. Murder occurs before the exhibition get to first base.

Donna
Aug 06, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
What fun to read a book placed in Cincinnati about baseball set in the 1920's! Lots of descriptions of placed in the city and history of the team from it's beginning with a mystery entwined in the story. I really like the main character.

I have ordered all the other books by this author such as Murder at Fenway Park, Murder at Ebbets Field, etc.
Pljs
Apr 09, 2012 Pljs rated it really liked it
This was a book that I'd forgotten about for years until I found it sitting on my bookshelf the other day. Soos does an amazing job of bringing 1920s baseball back to life. This is not just an excellent murder mystery, but a great look at Cincinnati and baseball right after the Black Sox Scandal.
Hunter Johnson
The Cincinnati Red Stalkings, by Tony Soos. Baseball, local (to me) history, and a murder mystery nicely rolled up. Did you know the 1869 Red Stockings are the only professional baseball team to go undeafeted? Now you do.
Ben B
Entertaining.
Mainrun
Feb 22, 2010 Mainrun rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
Interesting story set in baseball
Kenneth Flusche
Sep 11, 2015 Kenneth Flusche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more baseball and prohibition history than mystery but a good page turner to get through a rainy day
Chris Schaffer
Oct 12, 2016 Chris Schaffer rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
Kind of silly.
Michael Rhode
Aug 05, 2013 Michael Rhode rated it liked it
Shelves: library
My first book on a Nook. Besides that, I enjoy these mysteries by Soos. There's a lot of good history in them, and he gives you a nice feel for the whole period, as well as baseball history.
Marcus
Marcus rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
John Dozier
John Dozier rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Marni
Marni rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Yoli
Yoli rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Billy Hume
Billy Hume rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Bobby
Bobby rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Tim Asbury
Tim Asbury rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2010
Tom Dopirak
Tom Dopirak rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2013
  • Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time
  • The Man Who Kept the Secrets: Richard Helms & the CIA
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • The Rattle-Rat
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923
  • Spacer and Rat
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • On Language
  • The ABCs of Handwriting Analysis: The Complete Guide to Techniques and Interpretations
  • Brittle Innings
Troy Soos is a writer and teacher based in Winter Park, Florida. Soos is best known for his "Mickey Rawlings" series of historical baseball novels (seven books set from 1912 to 1923). He also authored a four-book historical mystery series set in 1890s New York featuring Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies. Soos has written a nonfiction history of early New England baseball history, "Before the Curse, ...more
More about Troy Soos...

Mickey Rawlings (7 books)
  • Murder at Fenway Park
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
  • Murder At Wrigley Field
  • Hunting A Detroit Tiger
  • Hanging Curve
  • The Tomb That Ruth Built

“Beautiful day for a funeral, I thought.” 0 likes
“The train lurched and I saw my face in the window again. I wanted to calm the scared kid who was looking back at me, but didn’t know how.” 0 likes