Hunting A Detroit Tiger

Hunting A Detroit Tiger (Mickey Rawlings #4)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Published May 1st 1998 by Kensington (first published March 1st 1998)

Moneyball by Michael LewisSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
306th out of 506 books — 485 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
390th out of 578 books — 613 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy
Mickey Rawlings is accused of shooting the head of the IWW union in self-defense, although he knows he didn't do it. The police consider it a shut case and unless Mickey can find definitive proof that someone else was involved, he won't be able to clear his name. Mickey winds up as a pawn in the battle between the baseball owners and players during the fledgling labor movement.

This one was not my favorite, although it may be colored by my recent reading of The Daring Ladies of Lowell, which also...more
Spuddie
This review applies to the audio version.

#4 Mickey Rawlings historical baseball mystery series, this one set mostly in Detroit in 1920, where Mickey is currently playing ball as a utility infielder. Mickey, at a union organizing rally, ends up accused of shooting one of the principals, Emmet Siever, although he's not charged as it's termed self-defense. Trouble is, Mickey didn't shoot him at all, and he wants to know who's set him up so conveniently--and who the real killer is.

The publicity has...more
Jim
Mickey Rawlings a utility infielder for the Detroit Tigers has just returned from World War One in time to go back to baseball. Soon after arriving in Detroit though, Mickey is identified (wrongly) in the local papers as killing a labor leader in self defense. Mickey must clear his name while avoiding the Wobblies who are set on avenging the killing of one of their own.

I enjoyed this novel. The setting is interesting as Soos mixes in historical figures like Ty Cobb and events like the labor unre...more
Donna
I only have two more of the Mickey Rawlings baseball mysteries to go! I have love each one and learned so much about the history of the game. The main character is very likable and the mysteries are always tangled up with the game and what ever is going on at the time in the country, such as baseball unions in this one and WW I in the Murder at Wrigley Field that I just finished. I have enjoyed each one!
Kathy McC
This was an enjoyable read. I had some difficulty following all of the possible suspects and clues, so I didn't figure anything out. It was fun to read the trivia about the 1920's Tigers and there were also facts about the Negro League teams that were playing in Detroit.
Genia
Troy Soos baseball mysteries were most engaging. I really liked the history references and the descriptions of the old ball fields. I would recommend them to everyone, and especially to fans of baseball.
Catherine Flusche
Loved the arguments for and against the unions--makes for a much more realistic book (especially when I agree with Mickey :-)).

Question to Mr. Soos--do you use actual recorded games when you write?
Jim
An enjoyable period mystery that combines baseball with an intriguing plot. I particularly like reading about historic baseball players--Ty Cobb figures prominently in this one.
Robert Kradoska
baseball, union agitation, murder, and some romance. Taking place after WW! in Detroit with actual old ball players in the action
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Sep 04, 2007 Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery readers/Baseball fans/Historical fans
See my review for Murder at Ebbets Field.
Kevin
Kevin added it
Jul 01, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Troy Soos is a writer and teacher based in Winter Park, Florida. Soos is best known for his "Mickey Rawlings" series of historical baseball novels (seven books set from 1912 to 1923). He also authored a four-book historical mystery series set in 1890s New York featuring Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies. Soos has written a nonfiction history of early New England baseball history, "Before the Curse,...more
More about Troy Soos...
Murder at Fenway Park Murder At Wrigley Field Murder At Ebbets Field Hanging Curve The Cincinnati Red Stalkings