Start by marking “Herakleitos and Diogenes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Herakleitos and Diogenes

Diogenes of Sinope

Herakleitos and Diogenes

All the extant fragments of Herakleitos & a collection of Diogenes' words from various sources. Herakleitos' words, 2500 years old, usually appear in English translated by philosophers as makeshift clusters of nouns & verbs which can then be inspected at length. Here they are translated into plain English & allowed to stand naked & unchaperoned in their nat ...more
Unknown Binding, 59 pages
Published January 1st 1979 by Grey Fox Press

To ask other readers questions about Herakleitos and Diogenes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herakleitos and Diogenes

Bogdan Liviu
Apr 19, 2016 Bogdan Liviu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diogenes of Sinope invented the word cosmopolitan, to designate hismelf a citizen of the world.
Diogenes of Sinope:
"Be careful that your pomade doesn't cause the rest of you to stink."

"In the rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face."

"Even with a lamp in broad daylight I cannot find an honest man."

"I threw my cup away when I saw a child drinking from his hands."

"Go into any whorehouse and learn the worthlessness of the expensive."

"Plato's philosophy is an endless conversation."

"Ar
Mike Jensen
Such an odd pairing. Herakleitos is a bore, the master of saying the obvious ("Change alone is unchanging") and the odd ("Lightning is the lord of everything"). Diogenes was a rascal: annoying, self-serving, but sometimes so witty, ("I pissed on a man who called me a dog. Why was he so surprised?" and "I have seen the cups on Plato's table, but not his cupness and tableness"). Not surpassingly, reading the first half of these translations was a bore, and the second half an uncomfortable delight.
Jacob
Sep 12, 2007 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here are Guy Davenport's graceful translations of the few epigrammatic scraps that we have of pre-Socratic Herakleitos and anti-Socratic, proto-crustie Diogenes (they are also collected in his anthology 7 Greeks). The currents of western philosophy are often said to flow from Plato, and thinkers as diverse as T.S. Eliot and Jacques Derrida have tried to abandon ship; Herakleitos would have said that you never wade into the same river twice anyhow.

In a better world, this book would inspire thousa
Vincent Russo
Nov 14, 2015 Vincent Russo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some fragments that I particularly enjoyed:

Diogenes:

I like how big of a dick this guy was to Plato:
"Plato winces when I track dust across his rugs: he knows that I'm walking on his vanity."

"When Plato said that if I'd gone to the Sicilian court as I was invited, I wouldn't have to wash lettuce for a living, I replied that if he washed lettuce for a living he wouldn't have had to go to the Sicilian court."

"Plato's philosophy is an endless conversation."

Some random quotes I really liked:

"
Azaghedi
Sep 14, 2012 Azaghedi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting pairing of mins, indeed. The Heroclitean fragments were more philosophical and oblique, whereas Diogenes' words came across as (often amusing) aphorisms. Some of my favorites from each:

Heraclitus

Knowledge is not intelligence.

History is a child building a sand-castle by the sea, and that child is the whole majesty of man's power in the world

If every man had exactly what he wanted, he would be no better than he is now.

Bigotry is the disease of the religious.

Sea water is bo
Mathieu Debic
If I had one wish, it would be for the rest of Diogenes to still exist, and for Guy Davenport to translate it. Heraklitos I can take or leave (another reviewer has called him a bore, and I agree, though there are nuggets of value hidden in the captain-obvious dross), but Diogenes always gives my brain a good shaking, which I dig.
Peter
May 21, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"To know the world is to know it in its particular details."
nfty
May 28, 2016 nfty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Diogenes is an absolute madman.
Clark
Oct 31, 2014 Clark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine as semi-mystical poetry. Too fragmentary to be more than suggestive as philosophy.
Chalen Kelly
Chalen Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2009
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2007
Andrea Ocier
Andrea Ocier rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2009
Onur Çörtük
Onur Çörtük rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
'Dia
'Dia rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2007
Aurelio Giardini
Aurelio Giardini rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
J
J rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Sm
Sm rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Kelley
Kelley rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2008
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Hanny
Hanny rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2013
Jason Diemer
Jason Diemer rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2009
Yhwh
Yhwh rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Mark Mirabello
Mark Mirabello rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2009
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Riley
Riley rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Diogenes of Sinope (Greek: Διογένης ὁ Σινωπεύς, Diogenēs ho Sinōpeus) was a Greek philosopher and one of the founders of Cynic philosophy. Also known as Diogenes the Cynic (Ancient Greek: Διογένης ὁ Κυνικός, Diogenēs ho Kunikos), he was born in Sinope (modern-day Sinop, Turkey), an Ionian colony on the Black Sea, in 412 or 404 BCE and died at Corinth in 323 BCE.

Diogenes of Sinope was a controversi
More about Diogenes of Sinope...