Start by marking “Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot” as Want to Read:
Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot

Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot

Your body is an instrument. No, it's not a flute, or a guitar (I hope). It is a sacred and original design by a master craftsman with a specific plan and purpose. That's a pretty big deal. From head to foot, the way you view your body is directly connected to how you serve God. Seriously. From the thoughts you think to the steps you take, every part of you is linked to the ...more
Published September 3rd 2012 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Perfectly Unique, please sign up.

Michaela
Oct 15, 2013 Michaela rated it really liked it
What I Loved:
First of all, I know that the author's personality doesn't normally make or break the book, but I must mention that it was an absolute pleasure working with this author, Annie Downs. She is super sweet, easy to work with, and an amazing author. I was so excited to begin reading this book, and I wasn't let down. This upbeat, Christ-based book was really enjoyable to read; I absolutely loved the style she wrote it in! Reading the book almost feels like your having a conversation with
Vanya D.
Jul 15, 2012 Vanya D. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Note: I received this book to review from Netgalley.

At first I thought that this will be just the next instruction book, but i was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't so. There wasn't a list of do's and don'ts, where the only thing you seem to be allowed to do is pray. No, I'm not saying not to do that. Of course praying is important, it's just not all there is.

Chapter after chapter, the author introduces us to both real pieces of her life and the importance of each and every part of our
Ella
Oct 22, 2012 Ella rated it it was amazing
Loved this quick read. I think all teen girls should read this as well as those in their 20's 30's and 40's. She has a fun style of writing.
Sheila
Mar 18, 2016 Sheila rated it it was amazing
My sister and Annie were friends in college. That made me want to read it. It was written very well. I feel like we are besties now! She radiates with the love of Jesus!
Sarah Tummey
Dec 13, 2016 Sarah Tummey rated it it was amazing
This was so good. Knew it was written for teenagers, but Annie makes me smile, so thought I would read it anyway and really glad I did.

It goes through the parts of the body from mind, ears and eyes to knees and feet. Very well-written and I'd recommend it to anyone, whether leading a group of teenaged girls or not.
Jennifer Hancock
Feb 24, 2017 Jennifer Hancock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for teens

Big fan of Annie Downs. As a high school girls small group leader I read this to know if I could recommend to my girls and perhaps as a small group study resource and it is perfect for that.

Love Annie's humor and clear love for the Lord. Relatable and real. Easy to read.
Kody Paredes
Jan 29, 2017 Kody Paredes rated it it was amazing
This book was a very good book! I read it for church, and it was very enjoyable! I think this book teaches people about themselves. I would recommend this to young adults,too! Overall, GREAT BOOK! :D
Adriane Devries
Jun 03, 2014 Adriane Devries rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Annie F. Downs writes true words for young women in Perfectly Unique; Praising God from Head to Foot. She is that cool young aunty who tells it like it is, complete with embarrassing personal anecdotes and jokes that soften the blow of not getting it right the first time. For ladies who want more joy and wisdom in life, Annie can guide you, literally, from head to toe in this grace-filled Human Makeover. Just as Proverbs 13:20 says, Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools su ...more
Rosie
Jul 28, 2012 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You will hardly find me with a non-fiction book. I don't like reading them, I disagree with most of them, and I think fiction is the bee's knees.

But Ms. Downs has changed my opinion. This once. ;)

Ms. Downs brings us a book all about learning to love ourselves and how to praise God with our bodies. My expectations were set. I was ready to disagree. But I was happily disappointed. Instead, I was smiling and laughing at Ms. Down's down-to-earth writing and I was thinking through everything she said
Leah
Everyone, ok, well, most everyone has body issues. It's a love/hate relationship. Most of the time it's hate. Former elementary school teacher Annie F. Downs takes teen girls on a ride exploring their bodies, showing them how to love God's creation and use it to worship Him.

Downs pours herself into the book relating life stories to each message she wants to get across. This personal touch enables the message to become real and tangible, easier to grasp. She's dealt with these issues herself and
Ruty  B
Dec 28, 2012 Ruty B rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction, 2013
Perfectly unique is a non-fiction book that could be easily a fiction one. If Annie would have chosen to hide her behind a fictional girl to give advices about how to honor God with your body, it would had been believable. However she decided to be honest and use her experience to help others.

Annie creates a book that is perfect for young and adults. There is no age for being uncomfortable with your body, learning to love yourself and really be ok with who you are takes time and is not easy.

Over
Christie Hagerman
Aug 11, 2012 Christie Hagerman rated it it was amazing
With her slightly corny, offbeat sense of humor, the author draws you in and makes you won't to hear what this silly gal has to say. She addresses the insecurity and self-doubt that every girl faces, then gives practical advice about how to shift your way of thinking and acting in order to reflect the value God places on you.

Each chapter focuses on a different part of the body, explaining the significance of this part. How does it reflect the beauty God put in you? How can you guard that specifi
Amanda Cain
Jan 20, 2014 Amanda Cain rated it really liked it
While Perfectly Unique seems to be written for an audience of teenage girls, I found it extremely helpful as a twenty-something. Annie systematically works her way from Mind, Mouth, to Feet, and shares what Scripture has to say about these body parts and how to use them for the glory of God, all while sharing humorous and convicting stories drawn from her own life.

In an age where we as girls are under immense pressure to look a certain way, talk a certain way, be a certain way, Annie’s voice is
Kaitlyn
Jul 30, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Wow. I didn't expect to enjoy this book so much, but I loved it. The author draws you in right away with her down-to-earth sense of humor and tidbits about her personal life. Her stories and examples were so inspiring!

During each of the chapters, the author talks about parts of the body (shoulders, knees, ears, etc.) and how we can glorify God with it. I loved all the chapters! They were full of good advice. I really liked the Scripture verses at the end of each chapter, and how they would relat
Taryn
Jan 20, 2013 Taryn rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I'm not a teen girl (I'm in my mid-twenties), but I picked up this book because I have a heart for teen girls and wanted to read a book that was written for them. I wish "research" could be this much fun always!

From the get-go, Annie sucks you in with her fabulous "chatting" writing style and her hilarious and authentic stories. I'm probably partial because I feel like my writing style is similar to (albeit less developed than) Annie's, but it was just too much fun.

Content-wise
Megan
Jan 04, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, books
Jessiqua Wittman
Sep 20, 2012 Jessiqua Wittman rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read! I enjoyed it because it stayed God-centered the whole time. Oftentimes books like this are ultimately self-centered. (stay beautiful because you deserve it, stay abstinent because you want to have a great sex life later, etc) Annie kept the focus where it needed to be though. In a sweet mix between spiritual and practical, she went from head to foot through the body and described how each of our members are unique and usable for God's glory.
The narrative was very conver
Nicole Moser
Jan 23, 2014 Nicole Moser rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY TEENAGE GIRL!!!
If I could I would rate this book 10 stars!! This book was fantastic! I heard Annie Downs speak live and I loved what she had to say, and I knew right then that I would read her books. They were hilarious yet still got across the point. I loved her writing and her personality. I also thought it was great how she included her personal stories so that the readers could connect with her better. I thought it was great to be able to know that I am not the only one who is going through this. Overall a ...more
Hyacinth
Sep 02, 2012 Hyacinth rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through goodreads first reads. Thank you for choosing me. This is another book I will be adding to my recommnded reading list for my celibacy program. Since I did win the book, I underlined some things that resonated in my spirit that I wanted to share on fsce book, here, and on twitter. While, the book is for presumably young ladies, there were some things I needed to heaer...AGAIN! I liked the style of writing. I felt like I was sitting at the kitchen table laughing and sh ...more
Janna
Aug 15, 2013 Janna rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
Annie does a fabulous job reminding girls that their bodies are intelligently, purposefully, and perfectly designed by the One who loves them most. Her sense of humor (and love of a good recipe) shine through as does her passion for God.

The truths in this book are crucial for having a right view of yourself. Having self confidence and knowing God created you just the way He meant to alters the way you view life.

I would happily use this book in counseling young women and am grateful that author
Daleine
This was a Goodreads give-away
Perfectly Unique: Praising God from head to foot is written for teenage girls. It talks about how they can glorify God in their everyday life. It has some wonderful ideas. It is very Christian with wonderful advice of keeping God in their lives. It talks about watching your language, being careful of the music and movies we use for entertainment. I would recommend this for Teenagers in Christian homes.
Angel
Sep 27, 2012 Angel rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

The book is filled with great advice and the topic is one that extends entire lifetimes for many women.

I did not care for the casual conversation style and I got bored with the amount of Scripture quoted. I think less would have been "more" for me.

This book will appeal to a certain group of people, but for me it stretched on too long and was too corny.
Kelsey
Apr 30, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
This is a book that I highly recommend for girls of all ages. Not only does each chapter break down how amazing each body part is, but it includes some that you never even think of. Shoulders have their own chapter guys. Also, I love how much scripture she uses to make the points. The guidelines are easy to follow. Highly recommend this to any girl or woman who needs to remember how awesome they are.
Kaity326
Feb 12, 2015 Kaity326 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. If you have an issue with body image or just love God and want to figure out how to love him more, this is a great book to do so. Annie F Downs takes a little time getting used to, because most of these authors tell you they want to have coffee with you, but she is funny and insightful and brings experiences from her own life to show girls that it is hard loving God with all of ourselves, especially if we don't like it.
Gypsy In Pearls
Feb 16, 2015 Gypsy In Pearls rated it liked it
Shelves: devotionals
I liked this devotional, but it took me some time to work through it. Honestly the chapters were a little slow so I only did one every few days or so. This is a good devotional for a teenager or young adult but not very applicable for my age group in a sense. This was Annie's first book, and I can definitely tell in comparison to her others.
Brooke
Apr 13, 2016 Brooke rated it liked it
I liked is book. Mostly. But it never left me that a book about loving yourself as you are (and how God created you) are starts with an Intro including tips like "buy cute jewelry" "wear some makeup" and "get your eyebrows done. Seriously???
90%+ of his book had real, actual tips. Praying before each meal that God may get glory through it, considering our feet as the shuttle for the gospel.
James Kim
Sep 04, 2012 James Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
My teenage girls are in a small group that is studying this book so I wanted to read it. I am thankful that we have a wonderful godly young lady who is leading this study with the girls. I want my teen girls to read this book and discuss it with an older mature Christian woman. This is definitely a great read for Christian teen girls.
Charissa
Feb 16, 2014 Charissa rated it really liked it
I didn't quite realise this was aimed at teenagers/young women, but that's ok because it's just what I needed to read. A reminder on how we can use our bodies (all parts of it, even your stomach!) to try to do the right things and honour God.

I haven't made my truth cards yet, but I hope I'll remember to do so because it's a really cool concept.
Georgette
Jun 12, 2015 Georgette rated it really liked it
Rating: 4. = average of:

Rating: 3 - at times the writing was clearly intended for a younger audience (of course, that is inherent in the entire thing, and I had no notion that I was, in fact, part of the intended audience,) yet

Rating: 5 - there were many passages that gave me serious pause despite that.
Katie Axelson
May 18, 2013 Katie Axelson rated it really liked it
The more I read, the more I'm convinced Annie Downs and I would be good in-real-life friends. I used her book very loosely to teach a small group of middle and high school girls and loved the practical tips, resources, and personal stories in the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Graceful (for Young Women): Letting Go of Your Try-Hard Life
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race, and the Sovereignty of God
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman
  • From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • God Girl: Becoming the Woman You're Meant to Be
  • The Divine Dance: If the World Is Your Stage, Who Are You Performing For?
  • Interrupted: Life Beyond Words
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Taking Hold of God
  • The Loveliness Of Christ
  • Paperdoll: What Happens When an Ordinary Girl Meets an Extraordinary God
  • Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible
  • Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life Is Hard
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
Annie F. Downs is an author, blogger, and speaker based in Nashville, Tennessee. Flawed but funny, she uses her writing to highlight the everyday goodness of a real and present God.

An author of three books-  Let's All Be Brave Perfectly Unique , and  Speak Love , Annie also loves traveling around the country speaking to young women, college students, and adults.

Read more at anniefdowns.com  a
More about Annie F. Downs...

“The Bible makes it plain and simple in Matthew 12:34: For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” 1 likes