Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot

Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Your body is an instrument. No, it's not a flute, or a guitar (I hope). It is a sacred and original design by a master craftsman with a specific plan and purpose. That's a pretty big deal. From head to foot, the way you view your body is directly connected to how you serve God. Seriously. From the thoughts you think to the steps you take, every part of you is linked to the...more
Published September 3rd 2012 by Zondervan

Michaela
What I Loved:
First of all, I know that the author's personality doesn't normally make or break the book, but I must mention that it was an absolute pleasure working with this author, Annie Downs. She is super sweet, easy to work with, and an amazing author. I was so excited to begin reading this book, and I wasn't let down. This upbeat, Christ-based book was really enjoyable to read; I absolutely loved the style she wrote it in! Reading the book almost feels like your having a conversation with...more
Vanya D.
Note: I received this book to review from Netgalley.

At first I thought that this will be just the next instruction book, but i was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't so. There wasn't a list of do's and don'ts, where the only thing you seem to be allowed to do is pray. No, I'm not saying not to do that. Of course praying is important, it's just not all there is.

Chapter after chapter, the author introduces us to both real pieces of her life and the importance of each and every part of our...more
Adriane Devries
Annie F. Downs writes true words for young women in Perfectly Unique; Praising God from Head to Foot. She is that cool young aunty who tells it like it is, complete with embarrassing personal anecdotes and jokes that soften the blow of not getting it right the first time. For ladies who want more joy and wisdom in life, Annie can guide you, literally, from head to toe in this grace-filled Human Makeover. Just as Proverbs 13:20 says, Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools su...more
Ella
Loved this quick read. I think all teen girls should read this as well as those in their 20's 30's and 40's. She has a fun style of writing.
Nicole Moser
Feb 02, 2014 Nicole Moser rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERY TEENAGE GIRL!!!
If I could I would rate this book 10 stars!! This book was fantastic! I heard Annie Downs speak live and I loved what she had to say, and I knew right then that I would read her books. They were hilarious yet still got across the point. I loved her writing and her personality. I also thought it was great how she included her personal stories so that the readers could connect with her better. I thought it was great to be able to know that I am not the only one who is going through this. Overall a...more
Amanda
While Perfectly Unique seems to be written for an audience of teenage girls, I found it extremely helpful as a twenty-something. Annie systematically works her way from Mind, Mouth, to Feet, and shares what Scripture has to say about these body parts and how to use them for the glory of God, all while sharing humorous and convicting stories drawn from her own life.

In an age where we as girls are under immense pressure to look a certain way, talk a certain way, be a certain way, Annie’s voice is...more
Ruty  B
Perfectly unique is a non-fiction book that could be easily a fiction one. If Annie would have chosen to hide her behind a fictional girl to give advices about how to honor God with your body, it would had been believable. However she decided to be honest and use her experience to help others.

Annie creates a book that is perfect for young and adults. There is no age for being uncomfortable with your body, learning to love yourself and really be ok with who you are takes time and is not easy.

Over...more
Leah
Everyone, ok, well, most everyone has body issues. It's a love/hate relationship. Most of the time it's hate. Former elementary school teacher Annie F. Downs takes teen girls on a ride exploring their bodies, showing them how to love God's creation and use it to worship Him.

Downs pours herself into the book relating life stories to each message she wants to get across. This personal touch enables the message to become real and tangible, easier to grasp. She's dealt with these issues herself and...more
Christie Hagerman
With her slightly corny, offbeat sense of humor, the author draws you in and makes you won't to hear what this silly gal has to say. She addresses the insecurity and self-doubt that every girl faces, then gives practical advice about how to shift your way of thinking and acting in order to reflect the value God places on you.

Each chapter focuses on a different part of the body, explaining the significance of this part. How does it reflect the beauty God put in you? How can you guard that specifi...more
Rosie
You will hardly find me with a non-fiction book. I don't like reading them, I disagree with most of them, and I think fiction is the bee's knees.

But Ms. Downs has changed my opinion. This once. ;)

Ms. Downs brings us a book all about learning to love ourselves and how to praise God with our bodies. My expectations were set. I was ready to disagree. But I was happily disappointed. Instead, I was smiling and laughing at Ms. Down's down-to-earth writing and I was thinking through everything she said...more
Megan
Kaitlyn
Wow. I didn't expect to enjoy this book so much, but I loved it. The author draws you in right away with her down-to-earth sense of humor and tidbits about her personal life. Her stories and examples were so inspiring!

During each of the chapters, the author talks about parts of the body (shoulders, knees, ears, etc.) and how we can glorify God with it. I loved all the chapters! They were full of good advice. I really liked the Scripture verses at the end of each chapter, and how they would relat...more
Kelsey
This is a book that I highly recommend for girls of all ages. Not only does each chapter break down how amazing each body part is, but it includes some that you never even think of. Shoulders have their own chapter guys. Also, I love how much scripture she uses to make the points. The guidelines are easy to follow. Highly recommend this to any girl or woman who needs to remember how awesome they are.
Taryn
Loved this book! I'm not a teen girl (I'm in my mid-twenties), but I picked up this book because I have a heart for teen girls and wanted to read a book that was written for them. I wish "research" could be this much fun always!

From the get-go, Annie sucks you in with her fabulous "chatting" writing style and her hilarious and authentic stories. I'm probably partial because I feel like my writing style is similar to (albeit less developed than) Annie's, but it was just too much fun.

Content-wise...more
Jessiqua Wittman
This book was a fun read! I enjoyed it because it stayed God-centered the whole time. Oftentimes books like this are ultimately self-centered. (stay beautiful because you deserve it, stay abstinent because you want to have a great sex life later, etc) Annie kept the focus where it needed to be though. In a sweet mix between spiritual and practical, she went from head to foot through the body and described how each of our members are unique and usable for God's glory.
The narrative was very conver...more
Amy Price
Read this for my almost pre teen daughter. Sweet, honest, relatable book with healthy reminders for me in lots of ways, too! Will save it for my daughter to read in a few years.
Charissa
I didn't quite realise this was aimed at teenagers/young women, but that's ok because it's just what I needed to read. A reminder on how we can use our bodies (all parts of it, even your stomach!) to try to do the right things and honour God.

I haven't made my truth cards yet, but I hope I'll remember to do so because it's a really cool concept.
Hyacinth
I received this book through goodreads first reads. Thank you for choosing me. This is another book I will be adding to my recommnded reading list for my celibacy program. Since I did win the book, I underlined some things that resonated in my spirit that I wanted to share on fsce book, here, and on twitter. While, the book is for presumably young ladies, there were some things I needed to heaer...AGAIN! I liked the style of writing. I felt like I was sitting at the kitchen table laughing and sh...more
Em
Awesome book about praising God!!! Annie has a lot of great (and humorous!) stories and real life experiences written in this book and touches a lot of the heart. I would definitely keep this book close and read it again! Can't wait to read her other books. :)
Megan Wilson
*I received this book for free from Good Teen Reads*

This book is wonderful. Not only geared towards teen girls, the message found in the pages could be applied at any age of life. I enjoyed reading it very much and plan to share the book with my sister and mother (maybe even my two best friends). Annie Downs has a relatable voice and you feel as though you are right next to her just having a conversation. There were quite a few times I found myself laughing and even a few more that I found mysel...more
Janna
Annie does a fabulous job reminding girls that their bodies are intelligently, purposefully, and perfectly designed by the One who loves them most. Her sense of humor (and love of a good recipe) shine through as does her passion for God.

The truths in this book are crucial for having a right view of yourself. Having self confidence and knowing God created you just the way He meant to alters the way you view life.

I would happily use this book in counseling young women and am grateful that author...more
Angel
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

The book is filled with great advice and the topic is one that extends entire lifetimes for many women.

I did not care for the casual conversation style and I got bored with the amount of Scripture quoted. I think less would have been "more" for me.

This book will appeal to a certain group of people, but for me it stretched on too long and was too corny.
Daleine
This was a Goodreads give-away
Perfectly Unique: Praising God from head to foot is written for teenage girls. It talks about how they can glorify God in their everyday life. It has some wonderful ideas. It is very Christian with wonderful advice of keeping God in their lives. It talks about watching your language, being careful of the music and movies we use for entertainment. I would recommend this for Teenagers in Christian homes.
Brooke
I really liked this book! Sometimes it's hard for me to sit down and read something besides fiction, but this was surely worth it. I love how honest Annie was, and how quirky she can be. It felt like she was right there. She was incredibly real, and it's nice to see writing I can relate to. So many Christian writers 'polish it up' you might say- but she was honest. I appreciate that so much. Great book for all teen girls!
James Kim
My teenage girls are in a small group that is studying this book so I wanted to read it. I am thankful that we have a wonderful godly young lady who is leading this study with the girls. I want my teen girls to read this book and discuss it with an older mature Christian woman. This is definitely a great read for Christian teen girls.
Rachel
I really appreciated a lot of what Annie shares. It's written for teens; easily readable, rather funky, with random and funny stories, but there is a lot of truth here. I especially liked the first few chapters; she shares some great things about body image and about believing truth vs. lies.
Katie Axelson
The more I read, the more I'm convinced Annie Downs and I would be good in-real-life friends. I used her book very loosely to teach a small group of middle and high school girls and loved the practical tips, resources, and personal stories in the book.
Amie
I loved the title, cover, and themes in each chapter! I found myself rewriting, completing her thoughts :) I just need to write my own book! She is definitely inspired and had great courage to share! Thank you. Glad I took the time to read it.
Corina Ziemer
I really liked this incredible book that has helped my spiritually. I love Annie Downs humor in her book and her illustrations. This book teaches you to live a more effective life for God and not getting tricked by Satan's lies.
Micheila
This book is awesome! It really made me think and grow. I really enjoyed how real the book was. Thank you, Annie, for sharing your personal experiences! I plan on giving this book to my younger sister for Christmas.
  • Graceful (for Young Women): Letting Go of Your Try-Hard Life
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • Feminine Appeal
  • Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • Since You Left Me
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
  • The Blue Door (The Threshold #1)
  • Summer of the Wolves
Annie F. Downs is an author, blogger, and speaker based in Nashville, Tennessee. Flawed but funny, she uses her writing to highlight the everyday goodness of a real and present God.

An author of three books- Let's All Be Brave , Perfectly Unique , and Speak Love , Annie also loves traveling around the country speaking to young women, college students, and adults.

Read more at anniefdowns.com and foll...more
More about Annie F. Downs...
Speak Love: Making Your Words Matter From Head to Foot: All of You Living All for Him Let's All Be Brave: Living Life with Everything You Have Speak Love Revolution: 30 Devotions That Will Change Your World

“The Bible makes it plain and simple in Matthew 12:34: For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” 1 likes