Start by marking “Pray for Brave Heart” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Pray for Brave Heart

Helen MacInnes

Pray for Brave Heart

A suspense novel that reaches its climaz in a peaceful Swiss village where the fabulous Herz diamonds and the fight for men's minds are fatefully linked.
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Fawcett Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Pray for Brave Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pray for Brave Heart

Cphe
Love these vintage suspense, thrillers by this talented and quite prolific author. Most of the intrigue for this novel takes place in Switzerland after the War. It involves the hunt for famous diamonds and for the identity of the "Committee" whose work it is to safeguard refugees from war torn Europe.
Nicely atmospheric and wonderful detail for time and place.
Theresa
Jun 24, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it immensely. An exciting story that had me reading into the very wee hours. The story seemed completely new to me, which is remarkable considering I know I read all of MacInnes' works more than once when I was younger. Great sense of location: I've travelled to just about all the locales (specifically Salzburg, Nurnburg, Vienna) and her descriptions bring them all to life in my mind. My first visits were in mid-70's, which while not contemporary to the story, were definitely to cities s ...more
Karlyne Landrum
Jun 08, 2009 Karlyne Landrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen MacInnes is a writer who knows how to build suspense which keeps you on the edge of your page, convey sympathy for her often sad characters, and draw vivid pictures of people, places and things. I would enjoy her books completely except for the fact that I am not very politically minded and she is. Luckily, as times get weirder in America, she gets more timely; and I find her more relevant. Not bad for a book published in 1955....
Rae
An Old School thriller set in Switzerland involving espionage, jewel robbery, and political kidnapping. I really enjoy MacInnes because her books are suspenseful AND clean. I also enjoyed While Still We Live, Neither Five Nor Three, I And My True Love, and Rest and be Thankful.
Casee Marie
Feb 28, 2013 Casee Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2013
It’s 1952 and American Bill Denning is ready to say goodbye to life in the army’s Restitution of Property division with his eyes set on returning home to the States. But when a friend and fellow army man comes to him with a quiet and emphatic request for one last case, Denning finds himself amid tumultuous drama in Switzerland as he works to recover the elusive Herz diamonds, spoilers from the war which are reportedly being smuggled out of the continent. On a mission to retrieve the diamonds, De ...more
Monique Snyman
It’s 1953 and William Denning is set to leave the army and return to the States. Nothing could convince him otherwise… well, nothing except maybe one of the largest diamond hauls ever, which can only mean one thing… trouble. Set against the backdrop of breathtaking scenery in Switzerland, Denning discovers that there is more at stake than a simply heist and that his adversaries are some of the most unlikely and dangerous kind. The question is, will he at the very least get out with his life?

Pray
Susan
Apr 22, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read Helen MacInnes but now I remember why I enjoy her books. Written during the cold war, this is a spy, murder action story. Switzerland is the setting for a search for diamonds hidden by the Nazis and claimed by France.
Sandi
Post World War 2 suspense with the action mainly taking place in Switzerland, this started a bit slowly but soon found its groove.
Linda
Nov 22, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I didn't enjoy this book as much as her others because it's so realistic. The amateur-professional tension rings true, because the professionals wonder if the amateur has enough detachment to see the bigger picture (and realize that his lack of knowledge is a hindrance), while the amateur is wondering if the professionals have hidden regional preferences and a lack of normal human response (friendships and loyalty). The collaboration between the 'noble' political geniuses and the calcula ...more
Rebecca
I wonder what it was like to be Helen MacInnes and to write this kind of cold war thriller, meanwhile perpetuating every single sexist idea that was going at the time. Did she believe the things she wrote, or was she just trying to make a living? Actually, in this book, the men think these things about their women, but the women just get on with conquering the baddies. Sort of.
Steve
Aug 03, 2013 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Her descriptions of places and people are beautifully evocative, which is perhaps why I enjoy a few of her novels in spite of the suspense element.
Sharon Toner
Sharon Toner rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Barbara Amago
Barbara Amago rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Kathryn Baron
Kathryn Baron rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Layne
Layne rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Heartfulart
Heartfulart rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Fran
Fran rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2009
Marilou
Marilou rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Sue Mchenry
Sue Mchenry rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Susan Smith
Susan Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2008
Carol Hennion
Carol Hennion rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2008
Johanna
Johanna rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2012
  • The Golden Rendezvous
  • Toros & Torsos
  • Stone City
  • The Dream You Make
  • Monsoon Season
  • Strong Rain Falling (Caitlin Strong, #5)
  • Dark Coulee (Claire Watkins, #2)
  • Shadow Season
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Wings Above the Diamantina (Bony, #3)
  • Hoodtown
  • Storm Warning
  • Death in Cyprus
  • Journey Into Fear
  • Good Day in Hell
  • Panic Attack
  • Seven Tears for Apollo
Helen MacInnes was a Scottish-American author of espionage novels. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 1928 with a degree in French and German. A librarian, she married Professor Gilbert Highet in 1932 and moved with her husband to New York in 1937 so he could teach classics at Columbia University. She wrote her first novel, Above Suspicion, in 1939. She wrote many bestsell ...more
More about Helen MacInnes...