Start by marking “Soulstorm” as Want to Read:
Soulstorm

Soulstorm

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Twenty-nine stories and short pieces, originally two separate collections, one written as a challenge from her editor — The Stations of the Body — stories about sex and the body written during one weekend, as well as a longer, more developed collection, Where You Were At Night, concerning the inner lives of women. Both are remarkable, both are unmistakably Lispector.
Published July 17th 1989 by New Directions (first published June 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Soulstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soulstorm

Mariel
Jul 31, 2011 Mariel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: re spekt
Recommended to Mariel by: mowgli
Clarice Lissssssspector. It's on the back of the tongue, the name of the authoress from the wilds of Russia to Brazil. Soulstorm is a collection of stories about lives of her and her others. Her voice that was baby talk as we all learn to walk, and Russian and Portugese. A self concious translator Alexis Levitin in his voice that was baby talk, English and I wanna do a good job. I want, I need, the building blocks of language and images. They start and end somewhere. It's on the tongue that I ca ...more
Greg
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did.

The book is uneven. It's two short short-story collections mashed together into one. The first short story collection features a lot of quick precise stories, with a running theme (or maybe reality of how they got written) as being written by assignment. There was a feeling of the stories being fluff, but with a dark streak running under the surface of them. Sort of like an evil piece for Reader's Digest.

The second half of the collection were lo
Ron
Jan 19, 2016 Ron rated it liked it
I know Lispector has been getting great reviews, and I do have a strong sense of her energy and offbeat sensibility, but overall I didn't feel like this connected for me. There is a newer edition of her stories out there, maybe that has a different translator and would strike me differently?
Mark
Mar 08, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Lispector's stories are as razor-sharp as Diane Williams, and with a unique fragility that lets the reader feel the timidity of her narrators. Excellent collection.
missy jean
Nov 13, 2013 missy jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book contains two short story collections, and I liked the first collection much better than the second. Which surprised me, because Lispector admits she wrote most of the first collection in a weekend--but I suppose this actually makes sense because the first collection is so raw and at the veins, while the second collection feels at times overproduced. The (very nice in its own right) Introduction is by Grace Paley, which is fitting because there is a very Paley-esque quality to many of L ...more
Devin
Aug 16, 2011 Devin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dissipation
Combines two story collections, The Stations of the Body and Where You Were at Night. The former a selection of rough and delirious narrations of individual lives. The latter more emotionally intense and rigorous, the narrators seeking ways of being that retain a sense of mystery without withholding secrets.
flannery
Aug 15, 2012 flannery rated it liked it
Like an artists' sketchbook, fragments and snatches of something really wonderful. Not to be one of "those people" but I have a feeling this is a lot better in Portugese because well what isn't. I did really love "Silence" and "Where Were You at Night" and I'm still excited to read her novel.
Blueoceansight
I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my syllabus for this semester. I was wondering if anyone had this book on tape, CD, or know where I can find a copy online for free. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Dawnelle Wilkie
Jan 13, 2008 Dawnelle Wilkie rated it it was amazing
This book was originally two separate texts and it shows. The voice of the first section is drastically different than the second. Both are remarkable but in very different ways.
Christy
Nov 14, 2013 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Maybe not her best work: sketches, grotesqueries. Still has moments. Grace Paley's intro is worth the trouble, though.
Philippa
Jul 13, 2011 Philippa rated it liked it
Brazilian. Some bizarre writing in here! A lot of it dream-like, surreal, some too deep and intellectual for me.
Heather
Apr 12, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Favorite story was "Dry Point of Horses". Love her way with words throughout.
Elizabeth
May 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
here's a link to the title story:

Liz Latty
Sep 14, 2011 Liz Latty rated it liked it
I'm supposed to like her way more than I actually do. #academicproblems
Keleigh
Oct 30, 2008 Keleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dreamlike, meandering, liquid, honest, electric, indelible.
Eireann
Apr 01, 2012 Eireann rated it it was amazing
!!!!!
Xio
Sep 16, 2013 Xio rated it really liked it
Shelves: femaleauthors
sigh
Kent Kosack
Kent Kosack marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Maylin Elisa
Maylin Elisa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
T.M.
T.M. marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Maleen Dalan
Maleen Dalan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Zoe Eileen
Zoe Eileen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Lupi07
Lupi07 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Wes
Wes rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • Detective Story
  • Nadirs
  • How I Became a Nun
  • Written Lives
Clarice Lispector was a Brazilian writer. Acclaimed internationally for her innovative novels and short stories, she was also a journalist. Born to a Jewish family in Podolia in Western Ukraine, she was brought to Brazil as an infant, amidst the disasters engulfing her native land following the First World War.

She grew up in northeastern Brazil, where her mother died when she was nine. The family
More about Clarice Lispector...