Start by marking “Break of Day” as Want to Read:
Break of Day

Break of Day

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Colette began writing Break of Day in her early fifties, at Saint-Tropez on the Côte d'Azur, where she had bought a small house after the breakup of her second marriage. The novel's theme--the renunciation of love and the return to an independent existence supported and enriched by the beauty and peace of nature--grows out of Colette's own period of self-assessment in the ...more
Published June 13th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Break of Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break of Day

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Jezebel's Books All Women Should Read
291st out of 588 books — 1,072 voters
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryLes Misérables by Victor HugoThe Stranger by Albert CamusThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Best French Literature
332nd out of 543 books — 1,009 voters

More lists with this book...

Lydia
Red, pink, blue, pimento, moths, cats, dogs, birds, sand, wind, sea, moon. This book is so full of incredible descriptions of our everyday world, its colors, its inhabitants, its smell and look and feel. These details make me want to open my eyes wider and to savor every experience. It makes me want to live more fully (not even sure what that would mean), to love more fully, to eat an omelette more fully...

It's about a woman at the age of fifty after her second divorce spending the summer in a F
suzi
colette is the most sensual writer I know ... after enjoying the youthful delights of the claudine series, cheri, the ripening seed, gigi, etc. in my 20's, it was wonderful to grow older with colette's mature appreciation of midlife ... it's independence, choices, self-realizations, wisdom, and quieter pleasures. this is the book i return to for a reminder of life's lessons ... her writing has more essence and earthiness than any other writer i have ever read, and has taught me the value and joy ...more
Antenna
This is the first book I have read by Colette and I gather it is not regarded as her best. Published in 1928 when she was in her fifties and established in her fame, this has a poetical, stream of consciousness style, beautiful and original when applied to the landscape and climate of coastal Provence, to her passion for gardening and cats, but somewhat precious, at times tedious, when the theme is the nature of love, and her relationship with her mother.

There is a good deal of falsity here, alt
Charlie
Between two and three stars. I'm starting to really like Colette; reading her feels like having a long conversation with a whimsical, observant friend, the sort of conversation you might have on that friend's back porch on a warm summer evening. Even so, the extensively-recorded struggles with Helene and Vial grew tiresome, making even the enjoyable parts drag a bit.
Aaron Kappel
This novel, rich in layers, is filled with calculated beauty. If you prefer a more “traditional” plotline/story arc, then this isn’t for you. The subtext within these pages is not profound for profundity’s sake; it’s thoughtfully crafted and elegantly composed.
Juliann
I pretty much just love Colette, and this is my favorite thing she wrote. Maybe I related so well because I was having relationship problems when I read it, but I still find the writing lovely and insightful and empowering.
Karyn
Lushly descriptive.
Agnes Fontana
On dirait que Colette a fait un bouquin avec les digressions charmantes dont elle agrémente ses romans le reste du temps... Souvenir poignants de sa mère, émoi devant les couleurs de la nature, la vie des animaux... sauf que là ce n'est pas le décor, c'est le livre. Une autre façon de présenter la naissance du jour, c'est de dire que c'est une version déstructurée de "la retraite sentimentale" : ah qu'il est bon, après une vie d'amours tumultueuses, de se retirer à la campagne, de découvrir les ...more
Eric
Reading Break of Day for the second time, 11 years later, I liked it better. I had more patience for the appropriately laconic pacing and enjoyed the prose more. Whether it's because I'm older or was just in the mood for something unhurried, I can't say. It's like a soup that's been simmering on the stove all day... better for the time and care taken to reach its point.

My only complaint, such as it is, was with the last quarter or so, which felt tacked on. Her mediation on her mother fits with
Toujours cette écriture et cette sensibilité que j'admire. L'ensemble m'a toutefois paru tiède comparativement à d'autres oeuvres de la même auteure.
Gwendolyn Jerris
i needed this, meditative. a way to slow down, and to move in and out gracefully, with subtlety. keeping all the lushness and richness and the sensuality.
Debby

I really loved the poetic Zen like parts of this book about her mother, animals and garden etc. The only reason I didn't give it 5* was that I personally did not get the lengthy Vial sub plot. He seemed like a twit to me and Helene was fairly uninteresting as well. I know that Colette met 'the love of her life',
Maurice G, whilst living in this house. I hoped that Vial wasn't a fictionalized version of her great love!! He seemed so unworthy of her and of the book.
Ck
Lyrical; delicately lush. Rather dull storyline (although I appreciate her frank honesty regarding love, loss, and the feminine) but glittering with beauty. I picked up an English translation at a used book store in Seattle; I'd like to try a hand at her works in the original French. The English is so lovely that the original French must be exquisite.
Donna
"At no time has the catastrophe of love, in all its phases and consequences, formed a part of the true intimate life of a woman."

This quick read, about an aging woman happy with her current life, is full of vivid descriptions and beautiful little moments. I kept putting it down to make it last longer.
David
This one was quieter than I expected, more reflective. The intellect in the musings is sharp, but the pacing is unhurried. Somehow, though I'm not sure why, it wasn't really what I was expecting from Colette. Either way, the quality of the writing cannot be debated.
Czarny Pies
Aug 30, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any graduate student doing advanced work on Colette
Recommended to Czarny by: I am a Colette fan and made this dreadful choice for a read on my own.
Shelves: french-lit
I hated it. This is a self-indulgent work of an elderly lady in the twilight years of her sexual career. I think Colette wrote many excellent books over a long and distinguished career but this little book is well worth passing over.
Michaela
Hard to understand for my level of French, but after plodding through it I liked the pervading tone and the symbolism. Glad I read it for a class, though a second read taking the time to understand the words is in order.
Kallie
Aug 20, 2009 Kallie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets and writers
For some reason, I resist Colette as I resist all women with 'powerful' personalities. I must say, this is a compelling read and the poetic prose goes down well. I will be reading more Colette in future.
Amanda Byrne
I think this quote pretty much sums up the beauty of Colette's writing: "For to dream, and then to return to reality, only means that our scruples suffer a change of place and significance."
Nose in a book (Kate)
I am torn whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars because it is beautifully written but also very slow, even a slog.

My full review: http://www.noseinabook.co.uk/?p=1591
Eszter
the writing is just gorgeous, but i can't keep reading this because it makes me think about my parents dying. some day, it will be the right time to take this up again.
Jenny.p
Probably not her best, but a nice little story about rebirth and renewal (aka starting over after a life crisis), dinner parties and gardening in the South of France.
feathers
dreamy, wandering, loving of plants and animals. sunlit with provencal beach heat and idiosyncratic summertime company. perfect for falling asleep inside of.
Catalina
A beautiful poem, an ode to her mother, nature, love as a platonic sentiment, her life as a mature, older women!
Kelli
Some amazing writing, but I felt a bit like I was in Lit class and missing some deep underlying meanings.
David
Absolutely hated this book. Sorry. She's just a boring self-absorbed drone.
Alicia
Apr 02, 2007 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: francophiles
Shelves: otherfavorites
A great memoir. Although, her mother was the more interesting character.
Richard Goodman
Exquisitely gorgeous.
Sylvie
Lu en français.
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • My Garden (Book)
  • Five Novels
  • Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand (Suny Series, Women Writers in Translation)
  • Secrets of the Flesh: A Life of Colette
  • Cleaned Out
  • With the Animals
  • The Stone Door
  • After Claude
Colette was the pen name of the French novelist Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette. She is best known, at least in the English-speaking world, for her novel Gigi, which provided the plot for a Lerner & Loewe musical film and stage musical.
More about Colette...
Cheri & The Last of Cheri The Vagabond The Complete Claudine The Collected Stories Gigi & The Cat

“Love is not an honorable sentiment” 5 likes
“Il peggio nella vita di una donna: il primo uomo. Si muore soltanto di quello, dopo di che la vita coniugale- o la sua contrffazione- diventa una carriera. Una carriera, burocratica a volte, da cui nulla ci distrae nè ci solleva tranne il gioco di equilibri che, a tempo debito, spinge il vecchio verso la giovincella e Chè ri verso Lèa.” 1 likes