Start by marking “Business at the Speed of Thought” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Business at the Speed ...

Bill Gates

Business at the Speed of Thought

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,816 ratings  ·  56 reviews
His vision changed our world. But in this monumental work Bill Gates argues that the capabilities of computers, software, and networks are only beginning to be harnessedand that your company must start building a modern, digital nervous system now in order to compete quickly and intuitively in the new millennium. Here, one of the worlds most successful, strategically-think ...more
Hardcover
Published by Warner Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Business at the Speed of Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business at the Speed of Thought

Peter
I bought this book back when it came out around 99-00, but completely forgot about it. I found it while cleaning part of my house. The book is aimed at business managers and high-level executives and tries to push the idea of a digital office environment. What's funny is reading the author's (Bill Gates) predictions for the future of technology in the coming years, he is quite accurate for the most part, but also far off on a few.
Fahim
If you are a business person and would like to know how technology, specially computer and internet, can change and improve your business, you definitely need to read this book. Please don't think that this book will teach you stuff about computers because Bill Gates wrote it. This is not the case. This book teaches you how you can use computer and internet to save costs, improve performance, share knowledge and increase your sales and business operation.

Reading this book in this era of compute
Amith Guthi
Did you know that the first product Sony created was a rice cooker ?
This book had the answer and reading this book helped me win a quiz competition years ago.

This book is definitely NOT for tech community.

I definitely don't like Microsoft products just because they dont have a soul. They have failed miserably in positioning their company ( which Apple successfully did ) , but take nothing away from this genius , Bill Gates. His passion is very apparent in the book - which makes it worthwhile
Anton Klink
Bill Gates and Microsoft were at the height of their power when this book was released, so as an avid DOS, Windows and PC user, I was certainly intrigued. It has been 15 years now since I read the book, so can hardly remember anything, but I do remember thinking at the time that it was OK. Not spectacular and not horrible either but a good read. The use of @ in the title is certainly antiquated by today's standards but that was the trend of the day back then.
Jim
Words from the Messiah on business Microsoft & making money from a can do guy. Imagine him running a country. The man they had to make step down as CEO of Microsoft or he probably would be running the country.
Vinod Kaul
Jul 26, 2014 Vinod Kaul rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in business at senior levels and those setting up their own business
I had this book on my shelf for a number of years. It was bought in my heyday in business as I grappled with a web-based start-up. Before selling it for its weight in paper, I thought I must respect the author and the written word by reading it. Bill Gates notwithstanding, I was afraid that the main plank of this book would be out of date. While building a ‘digital nervous system’ as Mr Gates terms it, is a serious and vital activity today, it is commonplace and no longer prophetical.

I can well
Kate Millin
Not sure why it says Italian edition - everything else is correct about this book!

So where do you want to go tomorrow? That's the question Bill Gates tries to answer in Business @ the Speed of Thought. Gates offers a 12-step programme for companies wanting to do business in the next millennium. The book's premise: Thanks to technology, the speed of business is accelerating at an ever-increasing rate and to survive, it must develop an infrastructure--a "digital nervous system"--that allows for th
Gabriela
Full of insight on how businesses can integrate core business functions with technology and ecommerce. Bill Gates' Business @ the Speed of Thought offers timeless lessons into the inevitability of business technology in a fast-paced world. The book asserts the need for businesses to look at technology not as an expense but as an asset that gives competitive advantage.

Gates also offers a twelve-step approach that businesses looking to integrate technology can take to prepare for the changes of th
Joshua
Overall, the book contained some thought provoking analysis of how IT can be brought to bear upon a variety of industries. Gates always has such vision in terms of understanding so many industries with such depth and imagination it's incredible.

All this said, the book is a bit disorganized and unfocused at points. It has inspiring ideas, but lacks a real practicality.
David
This book was originally published in 2000, and is a little dated now. But it was interesting to read what Gates was thinking at the time, and compare it to what has happened in the decade that followed. He talks a lot about the need for understanding and learning to manage and benefit from the pervasive data that marks our "information age", and gives examples of companies (including his own) starting to do that as the 21st century dawns. Using the analogy of a "digital nervous system" he expla ...more
Amith Guthi
a prescient analysis of the ways in which technology can aid businesses, and its potential to transform the business landscape.
Bjorn Hardarson
Bill Gates is of course one of those changemakers. This book is of course little bit old, but I decided I needed to read some of Gates work before reading the new book on Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. The books are of course different and the guys seems to be as well. I belive Bill Gates is a great thinker and and a great entrepreneuer even though he does not have the same colorful personality as Steve Jobs did. Not sure after you read the Jobs book that would be a bad thing. Great book, now ju ...more
Chris Ross
I sometimes enjoy reading books that are a decade beyond their current business events prime and this is one of those books. I listened to the audio book and it was very interesting listening to all of the predictions Bill Gates made that have come true. I wish every business would go paperless or as paperless as possible and have forms available online. This book is packed with great business ideas that challenge the status quo as well as great marketing ideas too. I only gave it 3 stars becaus ...more
Javier
This book is outdated now. It was interesting to see how technology has changed businesses since this book's publication in 1999.
Roger
Despite being written in 1999, Bill Gates seems prescient in predicting the rise of digital nervous systems in enterprises. This is an alternative way of explaining EDI, ERP, E-commerce, and other movements towards greater technology usage.

Daft Punk's song: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. That's basically how the book sells technology.

It's mostly inspirational, seeding the readers' thoughts with new ways of using IT. It is descriptive, not prescriptive.
Temiyemi
a great business & tech book. overloaded with visionary insights... surprising they're beginning to unfold in so such a time.

there's a saying by Bill Gates in this book that i have come to respect: we often over-estimate the changes that will occur in the short term, and always under-estimate the changes that will take place in the long term.
that i have found to be absolute truth.

a must have. a must read.
Daniel Lee
Dated but still appealing to me since it reaches for that pipe dream of mine: the paperless office. Amazing what kind of vision the man had of the future.
Bronwyn
I borrowed this book from someone and then went and bought myself a copy. It is not so much an insight into the mind of Bill Gates, but the impact of technology on society the future. It gave me a an entirely new perspective on the role of IT in business and the society.
Ted Way
It's a great book (full disclosure: written by my future employer), but the only reason I gave it 3 stars is that it's something that was relevant a decade ago. However, it is cool to read books written a while ago and see how accurate it was based on what I know today.
Jimi Bostock
Yeah, I know we all hate Bill Gates but this was one important book when it came out. I think I was stunned that the sort of things I had been thinking about were laid out by the big man

I am going to read it again before I launch my new digital agency, PUSH Agency.
John Orman
Some good ideas from the King of Microsoft. Some prophetic thoughts in 1999 ]about the paperless office, getting to market first, health care systems, and web-connected learning systems.

I especially liked the section on preparing for the digital future.
اویس قرنی
I have read it for second time. It is a good choice for Advanced English learners to read. It has a lot of good expressions and sentences about business. I recommend it.
Nicolas Pujol
Read this a long time ago and looking at it now, the book has lost much of its shelf life as it dealt with Y2K issues and a lot of business 101 concepts. I know Bill can do better.
Maraim Elbadri
The book talks about the effective use of IT in the business , Bill Gates, in this book , tells as how to make the business more profit with the concept of DNS ,IS and as well as IT .
Sravanthi
This book written in 1980's truly gives the vision Bill Gates had what it takes to be ahead and on the top of the things required to be successful in the IT world of business.
Gerard Braad
A nice Penguin Reader (Level 6; Advanced, to make students think about computers and their impact (on life and business, now and in the future).
Senthil Kumaran
I enjoyed Bill Gate's other book "The Road Ahead" more than this. This is was more of Microsoft business than any vision for future.
Natalia Luneva
Although the book is outdated now, but it still has some valid thoughts and interesting points about how Bill Gates did the business.
Lori Grant
An optional-read autobiograpy on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Mark
Nowadays only really interested me in a historical sense of seeing what Gates guessed right and what he missed.
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Direct from Dell
  • The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett And I Built Our Company
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time
  • Jack: Straight from the Gut
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
William Henry Gates III (born October 28, 1955) is an American entrepreneur, software executive, philanthropist and chairman of Microsoft, the software company he founded with Paul Allen. During his career at Microsoft he has held the positions of CEO and chief software architect, and he remains the largest individual shareholder with more than 8% of the common stock.
More about Bill Gates...
The Road Ahead The Impatient Optimist: Bill Gates in His Own Words. Edited by Lisa Rogak Los Negocios En La Era Digital History of the Fort William Henry Hotel Valtatie Tulevaisuuteen