Start by marking “The Edge of the Alphabet” as Want to Read:
The Edge of the Alphabet

The Edge of the Alphabet

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Recipient of the prestigious Commonwealth Writers Prize in 1989, Janet Frame has long been admired for her startlingly original prose and formidable imagination. A native of New Zealand, she is the author of eleven novels, four collections of stories, a volume of poetry, a children's book, and her heartfelt and courageous autobiography -- all published by George Braziller. ...more
Published October 1st 1991 by George Braziller (first published December 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of the Alphabet

Laura J. W.
I’m continuing my journey discovering Janet Frame; The Edge of the Alphabet is yet another magical book of prose, experimental and challenging, a timeless narrative about the beauty and ugliness of the human condition. She plunges right in, starting on the first page:

Man is the only species for whom the disposal of waste is a burden, a task often ill judged, costly, criminal — especially when he learns to include himself, living and dead, in the list of waste products.

The creator of the world d
Rebecca
Janet Frame constantly amazes me. Much like VW she can achieve astounding poetic insight into the psyche. This is a pictorial theater of madness: a waking dreamstate where all is a kind of quiet and graceful torturous despair and nothing is quite as we would have it be.
Tina Hein
Reading anything from Janet Frame is a gift to yourself. An exeptionally rare gift with language, her books are exquisite. She will leave you speachless.
Geraldine
Really struggled with this novel. I found the characters depressing as they all failed to fulfill their dreams or reach their potential and their out look on the world seemed so small and self centered and neurotic. The three main characters leave New Zealand by ship bound for London. One, who reflects Frame's epileptic brother, is determined to write a book based on his only scholastic success; a story he wrote at primary school which was read out loud to the class. Needless to say the farthest ...more
Thorne Clark
There is a weirdly hilarious mock biography by Steve Aylett called "Lint", where he spoofs a fictional sci fi author that is a composite caricature of real writers (but who most resembles Philip K. Dick). Reading The Edge of the Alphabet came very close to being a similar experience, but without the punchline. By the third page of nonsequitur metaphor, I realized it was intended as "serious" literature. This is like a bizarro world Duras ... or like Andy Samberg doing an impression of Marquez. I ...more
ifjuly
this is my favorite janet frame book so far, but i haven't read yellow flowers in the antipodean room yet. i loved it--it hurt a little to read and conjured up weird child-nightmarish snippets of blurry sense memory from the past. very deceptive in the simplicity of its barebones picture-book plot formation and dialogue, but sinister and brittle feeling in that janet frame way. sigh.
Feby Idrus
A weird, surreal book, which is also really depressing and dark. Not the kind of book to give either a person with chronic depression or an aspiring artist on their birthday.
Mark Flowers
This is going to take me a little while to process. All I can say right now is that it was amazing.

Also, watch Angel at My Table, a biopic about Janet Frame.
Outi S.
One more post colonial book about being marginalized. Just good.
Joanne Radford
Joanne Radford marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Nicole Plaia
Nicole Plaia marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jessica Davenport
Jessica Davenport marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Emma Crowley
Emma Crowley marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
laurel
laurel is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Jul 05, 2014
Lucy Hughes
Lucy Hughes marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mw Pm
Mw Pm marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The fate befalling the young woman who wanted "to be a poet" has been well documented. Desperately unhappy because of family tragedies and finding herself trapped in the wrong vocation (as a schoolteacher) her only escape appeared to be in submission to society's judgement of her as abnormal. She spent four and a half years out of eight years, incarcerated in mental hospitals. The story of her alm ...more
More about Janet Frame...
An Angel at my Table (Autobiography, #2) Owls Do Cry Faces in the Water Janet Frame: An Autobiography To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)