20世紀少年 2 [Nijusseiki Shōnen 2] (20th Century Boys, #2)

20世紀少年 2 [Nijusseiki Shōnen 2] (20th Century Boys #2)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,159 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Failed rock musician Kenji's memories of his past come rushing back when one of his childhood friends mysteriously commits suicide. Could this new death be related to the rise of a bizarre new cult that's been implicated in several other murders and disappearances? Determined to dig deeper, Kenji reunites with some of his old buddies in the hope of learning the truth behin

Published May 30th 2000 by 小学館 (first published May 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 20世紀少年 2 [Nijusseiki Shōnen 2], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20世紀少年 2 [Nijusseiki Shōnen 2]

Anthony Chavez
My gosh Urasawa never ceases to amaze me with his layered complex form of storytelling. I had to put Pluto down for a while as this first volume grabbed me. I love tales of childhood that come back to haunt the children later in life. If the first volume didn't bind you to this series then the 2nd one will, by the last page of volume 2 this series completely owned the highest admiration I can give a manga series, which in my opinion Urasawa also holds the title for with Monster.

This volume evok...more
Michael
This series is very near and dear to my heart. It's the first complete manga I ever read (maybe, .hack might have been the first), and it has one of the most in depth plots in any graphic novel ever. The basic premise of the series is kind of similar to Stephen King's 'It', though minus the killer clown. It has a giant robot without being about a giant robot, dash of romance that simmers in the background, and most of all it invokes that feeling you had as a child dreaming about how amazing the...more
Mikael Kuoppala
A saga that took off with a bang continues with head-hurting momentum and ever increasing complexity. Urasawa keeps on getting the reader hooked into this tale of a cult connected to the upcoming fall of the human race, stemming from the buried memories of a group of friends. Friends who reconnect to solve the mystery of their shared childhood with its deadly ripples.

Volume 1 "Friends" was all about the dynamic of the posse, but this volume really zooms in on Kenji, the main protagonist. We get...more
John Wiswell
Well, this ate my afternoon.

Book 1 hit full stride when it began Donkey’s story, about one of Kenji’s childhood friends who was poor, unwanted and eventually became integral to their band of friends. Book 2 similarly hits its stride with the story of Kiriko, Kenji’s sister who leveraged her whole life to give him opportunities, but has recently vanished. We learn that as a little girl, Kiriko argued her parents out of aborting Kenji, promising to treat him like her own baby, and it radically re...more
Severine Chat-cal
20th Century est le manga qui m'a mit une claque l'année dernière, je ne m'attendais vraiment pas à ça. On ne se le cache pas, la couverture n'est pas belle, mais le contenu est mille fois mieux à l'intérieur ! Ne dit-on pas qu'il n'y a que la beauté intérieure qui compte ?

On retrouve Kenji qui mène toujours son enquête autour d'Ami et sa secte, qui ne prévoit ni plus ni moins que de gouverner le monde -en le détruisant, sinon ce n'est pas marrant- , suite à un délire de gamins. En effet, quand...more
Federiken Masters
Nov 04, 2013 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo mismo
Como me acordaba poco del tomo uno, que leí hace dos años y pico, lo releí antes de mandarme el tres y tuve más o menos la misma sensación que aquella vez: está bien, pero pinta que se va a poner mucho mejor. Por suerte tarda muy poco en tomar ritmo y comenzar a los sopapos, ya que en este tomo las expectativas empiezan a cumplirse. Y los personajes empiezan a pasarla como el orto.
Aaron Nickel
Volume 2 is basically a continuation of volume 1. Most of the book is character development; we learn more about Kenji's past in relation to his friend Yukiji and to his sister. Throughout the book, we see that this cult has tendrils all over, with connections to murders, the police, and even Kenji's sister. The ball really starts moving in the final chapter, where Kenji realizes that the "Friend" and this weird cult is following a script that he and his gang came up with as children--right down...more
Lexie
And the mystery deepens! How is a childhood game played by Kenji and his friends related to this mysterious 'Friend' and his plans for the world? Why is Kenji the one person who can save humanity? Who is the 'Friend'? Could it be Otcho, the leader of the gang when they were kids, mysteriously missing for these 9 years? Why exactly does the 'Friend' world domination is the end all plan?

In the second volume of 20th Century Boys things begin to grow murkier as Kenji investigates further into his fr...more
Aaron Broadwell
On a train up a mountain in Japan, I fell into conversation with a young Belgian guy who told me loved manga. I said that I had never really read it and asked for a suggestion of where to start, and he told me "20th Century Boys". Good advice!

The partly hidden/partly forgotten story of what happened to a group of young boys is very skillfully played out over multiple volumes of this story. One of their old acquaintances has become The Friend, the masked head of apocalyptic cult that gains politi...more
Scott Radtke
This series is beginning to rival Otomo's unbelievable AKIRA, in its breadth depth and subtlety, and I suspect, by the end, it will surpass at least in terms of storytelling characters, and while the art isn't quite as mind-blowing as Otomo's, Urasawa gives the master a good run for the money. I seriously haven't been this stoked about a comic in a long time.

Book two takes us deeper into the heart of the mystery, fleshing out some of the backstory of Kenji's missing sister, who The Friend is and...more
Caroline
Okay, finally, a pretty decently drawn grownup female character in an Urasawa book. (I love Nina in 'Monster' but she's in the wounded-but-resilient teenager mode, even if technically a grownup by the end.) I wish there was more of her (and more than one of her) but that solves my main irritation with reading Urasawa's stuff.

Meanwhile, the main protagonist is winning me over (Urasawa has a thing with prickly males who endear you because of how they get along with kids), and the plot is really p...more
Kristan
It just keeps getting better and better. I was hooked after volume 1 and this volume continued to peak my interest with the reveals and questions that arise. Fantastic series so far!
William Hanley
Masterful story so far. Mystery, suspense, realistic engaging characters. Vintage Urasawa.
Mss Black (Smoke)
¿Puedo, por favor, ser Naoki Urasawa de mayor?
Cynthia
love this series ... i'm hooked
Nia
Kenji harus memilih, mengasuh Kanna atau mengelola mini mart ex toko sake peninggalan ayahnya. Pilihan yang sulit...hingga akhirnya dia memilih Kanna, karena mengingat kebaikan kakaknya yang sudah mengasuh dan menjaganya sejak kecil.

Kenji menemukan benang merah antara hubungan kakaknya dengan 'Sahabat'. Siapakah ayahnya Kanna ???

Sedangkan Sang Detektif yang menangani kasus ini mati oleh tangan kanan 'Sahabat', yang merupakan rekan kerja sang detektif....

Apakah Kenji adalah 'Sahabat' ?
Gaby
It's truly a masterpiece in my eyes. It's highly recommendable and I can't even say it enough you HAVE to check this manga out.Also how can you not want to read a manga that has a villian called Friend and a homeless guy called God. show less
Danielle
Even better than volume 1! So much to love. Kenji makes a stand against corporate bullying (yay!) and more mysteries unfold. Some great wtf! moments where I can't wait to see what's going on... prolly a lot further down the track...
the golden witch.
Getting closer to what the 'Friend' organization is. I love this series so much, and I've only read two volumes. I wonder what the big event will be that the group of friends unwittingly predicted when they were children?
Oliver
Ziemlich komplex inzwischen, man muss sich bei der Lektüre schon konzentrieren. Manche Sub-Plots sind besser als andere, für die nicht so guten wird man aber immer wieder durch brillante Momente entschädigt.
Dave
More is gradually revealed about the mysterious cult and their plans, and the list of characters, from shady assassins to homeless prophets, grows. Urasawa manages to keep you reading and guessing.
Naty
The first volume was good and I really liked the art, but this one really sunk its teeth into me in all the best ways. It's exactly the sort of manga story I wanted to read right now.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Really starts becoming a great manga in this volume. Does Urasawa create anything bad? Everything he's written I've enjoyed. And this one might be my favorite one yet.
Michael
The continuing story of a childhood game that comes back to life with a mysterious cult, an elusive messiah, and the possible end of the world.
Fredrik Strömberg
And the plot thickens. Still a good read, drawing you in and keeping you going, this is going to be a good ride, I can feel it.
Adam
This is the volume with the hook in it for me. I'll probably run out and get some more tomorrow. I'm hooked now.
Omman
So far (2 books in) this is a great, addicting series. Highly recommended if you're not scared of manga.
Touloulou
Plus d'éléments apparaissent... et en même temps le mystère s'épaissit !
ahouuu je veux la suite !
Al Keller
This is a gripping tale with loveable characters. It's also like the manga version of LOST
  • Planetes. Vol. 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Volume 2
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 8
  • Yotsuba, tome 8 (Yotsuba&! #8)
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Seinto Oniisan 1]
  • Vagabond, Volume 2
  • Battle Royale, Vol. 10 (Battle Royale, #10)
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex...more
More about Naoki Urasawa...
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1) 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)