Start by marking “PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 004 (Pluto, #4)” as Want to Read:
PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 004 (Pluto, #4)

PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 004 (Pluto #4)

4.41  ·  Rating Details ·  1,772 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A powerful, destructive force in the form of a tornado is killing the great robots of the world one by one. Who or what could be behind this whirlwind? Be it man or robot, it now has its sights set on Atom, the most advanced robot ever created--and Atom is ready to dive right into the eye of the storm.
Published December 26th 2006 by 小学館

To ask other readers questions about PLUTO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PLUTO

Agne
Dec 13, 2014 Agne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Recommended to Agne by: Panels & Pages Book Group
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004” by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is the fourth book in an eight-book science fiction manga series Pluto. The whole series is based on “The Greatest Robot on Earth,” the most popular story arc in Astro Boy series by a legendary manga master Osamu Tezuka.

A mysterious force disguised as a tornado is after the four remaining great robots of the world, while the former members of Bora Survey Group are being killed one after another… And it s
Charles
Muffin Adorable
Jan 20, 2017 Muffin Adorable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pero que brutal. Como me rompe el corazón...

(view spoiler)
নাজমুল হাসান
Finally the story is starting to pick up. There are more casualties and its getting even darker than before. Also we get to see the supposedly creator of the greatest robot in the world. His motivations is anger, hatred and frustration. Also he warned others about not furthering the A.I. of the existing robots more than necessary. Cause when A.I. achieves perfection like human, they also become prone to typical human mistakes.
Charliesabers
Dec 19, 2012 Charliesabers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great series. Read the whole book, in a couple of days. It is a reworking of the core concepts of Astro Boy, but with darker, grittier and more philosophical. It questions what it means to be human, and what it means for robots to be "perfect". The pacing is great, the characters likeable, and the art amazing. A great read.
Skye Kilaen
Jan 16, 2017 Skye Kilaen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Skye by: Dov Zeller
Apparently the even-numbered books of this series are my favorite. So! Much! Happens! in this one. And that little robot dog... I can't even.
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
Great cliffhanger...with weirdness. Tortured characters. Robots more humane than humans in many cases. Interesting. Smart. Lots of peripheral messages. Enjoying this. On to Volume #5.
Miguel
Nov 28, 2015 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Robots have become nearly identical to humans. What happens when they are nearly human?" "They still don't kill humans."

Pluto's fourth volume capitalizes on the foundation laid in the third with forward plot momentum at breakneck speed. Adolf and his organization come into focus as integral parts of the greater plot of the manga, as opposed to a digressive side plot. In addition, readers are treated to a vivid portrayal of two great minds: Dr. Ochanomizu and Dr. Tenma.

Much of this volume explor
Gilwen
Apr 12, 2014 Gilwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nouveaux développements, nouveaux coupables, révélations, complots … l'intrigue donne un peu l'impression de partir dans tous les sens. Plus on en découvre, plus on a d'incertitudes. Pourtant, c'est toujours aussi plaisant. Et pour cause, on s'attend à ce que l'ensemble soit grandiose. Rajoutez à cela une tension omniprésente et une belle louche d'émotion et vous serez comblés par cette intrigue principale.

Pendant ce temps-là, Gesicht suit son petit bonhomme de chemin, toujours associé bien malg
Travis
Nov 08, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sf-fantasy
In between robot fights, the mystery gets dense and you start to wonder who can you trust and will any of the heroes survive.

An amazing mix of robot adventure and political thriller.

One of the best 'reimaginings' of a classic character I've ever read. The mystery, action and funky science are perfectly balanced with an interesting and sympathetic cast and a strong emotional core to the story.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After a slightly-heavier-in-politics "detour" in the third volume, the primary focus gets back to the exciting characters with the fourth installment to the "Pluto"-series. I find I'm left rather speechless and unable to elaborate after reading these; every chapter simply has all the elements working dynamically throughout, offering a little bit of everything. They're just good by any standard.
Kat
Aug 01, 2010 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Still completely loving this series. Devoured this volume in less than an hour and was a bit peeved that I didn't have the next one with me. At the beginning of the volume, I was unsure how the storyline was going to be stretched for more volumes to come but as the mystery unravels, I can see how things are not as simple as they appear.

Recommended for SF fans!
Peter Barr
This is the fourth in a series of graphic comics about a world where artificial intelligence robots are common. There has been a robot war in the middle east and the group that looked for weapons of mass destruction are being murdered. This is not the most interesting in the series but just brings along the story.
Jeff Lanter
Mar 04, 2014 Jeff Lanter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I can't recommend this series highly enough. The scene with the professor and the robot dog illustrate just how powerful Pluto can be. Just when you think the cast can't get any better, there is a new intriguing character or another major plot twist.
Raúl
Jan 25, 2013 Raúl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impresionante! Me tenía tan enganchado que no podía dejar de leer a pesar que lo leí de madrugada. Vaya tensión y vaya ritmo más intenso que tiene este tomo. Y además, pasan cantidad de cosas muy importantes y algunas muy impactantes.
andrew
Mar 02, 2015 andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
that was definitely another volume. now I'm seeing shades of "monster" which while not a bad thing means I will definitely read the second half of this series. grudgingly.
Michael
Oct 14, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
via NYPL - say it ain't so, Atom! Things are coming into focus, but Urasawa still packs in twists and drama, while taking time to showcase his cast's depth.
Caroline
Jan 17, 2010 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga
I'm fascinated by the way this story keeps evolving. I think I have a handle on the themes and then there turns out to be another layer.
Roberta
Jun 21, 2012 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite mangas.
sweet pea
the plot thickens. i love this series. it is unrelenting. filled with sympathetic, and intriguing, characters. such an interesting take on artificial intelligence, politics, science, and compassion.
Tyler
Jun 09, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Just... Wow. Just keeps getting better. Emotional too! Don't have the words.
Sarah Schanze
Jun 13, 2016 Sarah Schanze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, manga
Haha I should probably increase my reading challenge for this year now that I've started including manga.

Also: another good volume, stuff is heating up!
Jake Forbes
Oct 03, 2009 Jake Forbes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed books 1-3 of this series, but volume 4 was the first one that had me "on the edge of my seat" and desperate to read the next volume!
Lissibith
May 09, 2013 Lissibith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sci-fi, detective
How does this series keep making me cry? :(
Marcus Gilfert
Jul 21, 2014 Marcus Gilfert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series continues to delite, perhaps even getting better as we go - woe to he that provides an inadequate ending to this story.
Al
Jul 10, 2015 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que es el manga que más me ha gustado de todos. Y llevo solo medio.
Hengtee
Apr 27, 2012 Hengtee rated it really liked it
アトムくん!! NoooOOOooooOOO!!!

Tense stuff, this fourth book.
Felipe
Sep 03, 2011 Felipe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Damn, this book got really heavy. :(
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 03
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 5 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #5)
  • Akira, Vol. 6
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 2 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #2)
Urasawa Naoki (浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival exc
More about Naoki Urasawa...

Pluto (8 books)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)