Start by marking “Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes” as Want to Read:
Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Interest in fresh-baked breads is on the rise both in restaurants and at home, where more and more people are turning to the age-old comforts of baking and breaking bread with family and friends the perfect antidote to modern stress.
Published September 1st 2004 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumArtisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff HertzbergHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
2nd out of 33 books — 37 voters
Tartine Bread by Chad RobertsonFlour Water Salt Yeast by Ken ForkishBread Baking by Daniel T. DiMuzioBread by Jeffrey HamelmanBouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller
BREAD--Stars That Rise & Shine
3rd out of 37 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Cytowic
May 14, 2013 Richard Cytowic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frustrated trying to find a decent loaf of Rye—like my grandmother used to make—I decided to do it myself. I've used the King Arthur whole-grain book, but Jeffrey Hamelman's second edition is far superior.

It gives scale weights and baking percentages. Far better results than measuring by volume. And the taste: delicious! Almost wholly doing whole-wheat sourdough variations.

Highly recommended for the home cook wanting to experiment.
Zomick's  Bakery
Nov 04, 2014 Zomick's Bakery rated it really liked it
It doesn't require to be baker to love this book. We at Zomick's bakery have this cookbook for many years and must admit we learned many new recipes from it. This goes for the challah bread especially. The cookbook itself has some drawbacks, like the inaccurate indexing of the recipes but if you can overcome that, you'll like it for sure. That is if you like spending time in preparing and baking foods.
Dana
Jun 06, 2016 Dana is currently reading it
Part of my breaducation...
Pamela Hempston
May 16, 2014 Pamela Hempston rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. If you do nothing else with your life, follow the recipe on page 249--Un-Kneaded, Six Fold French Bread. I guarantee you, you will be making this bread for the rest of your life.
Anne
Aug 06, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is an excellent, detailed bread baking book that I absolutely depend on. The recipe for Pretzels is absolutely flawless, and the results are authentic, says my German-born and raised husband. It is the only bread book that I found in the US that has good detail on making and using the lye solution to give the pretzels the shiny brown crust that is needed for an authentic pretzel. The pizza recipe is excellent as well, as are so many of the other recipes. This book lives in my kitchen.
Rob Durante
Nov 11, 2012 Rob Durante rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Jeffrey Hamelman
An accomplished baker, teacher and entrepreneur, Jeffrey Hamelman brings a variety of experiences and skills to his position as Bakery Director at King Arthur Flour. One of fewer than 100 Certified Master Bakers in the United States, Jeffrey began his training working under French and German bakers at Naegele Bakery in Northampton, Massachusetts.
In 1996, Jeffrey was named captain of Baking Team USA, which competed at the Coupe du

Monde de la Boulangerie, an international “Bread Ol
David McCormick
Dec 22, 2012 David McCormick rated it it was amazing
My bread book. A tool I depend on like my scale. It includes baking percentages so one can download the free baking % calculator ap and there you go. One loaf or 12, large loaves or small: weigh ingredients only once! Miraculous! All the advanced techniques are here, the author includes his lifetime of baking experience and his passion for making and sharing bread. Also, I love the broad range of recipes thoughtfully included which act as starting places for imagination and experimentation, not ...more
Jason
Feb 02, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
This was my first read of anything Bread related. Mixing bread by weight was a very welcome change to my bread making. It helped me get out of my old routine.

Enjoyed it so much I plan to purchase it and bake through many more of the recipes.
Stacy
Jan 26, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it
I didn't actually read every word of this book, but I gleaned what I wanted to from it, which is to say that I read the first chapter in it's entirety (and read more than I ever want to know about The Bread Process, from Mixing through Baking). Then I skimmed many recipes and decided I may never be a fancy bread baker. ~sigh~
Wouter
Mar 28, 2012 Wouter rated it it was amazing
I can't say I've "read" it completely as I'm still trying out new recipes, but as far as techniques for baking go, this is "THE ONE" book. It's amazing and really pushes me to try new things as far as baking bread goes: from shaping to proofing to technical and chemical details about what happens to flour, everything is carefully explained.
Jeffrey Hamelman did an amazing job in explaining how to create sourdough, including your own starter. There are reading groups on the internet who encourage
Yasmine Alfouzan
Oct 26, 2015 Yasmine Alfouzan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you bake bread?

Yes-> Get this cookbook.
No-> You're weird. Get this cookbook. Start baking bread.

An absolute essential in every bread baker's home, though not flawless.
Mitch Allen
Dec 25, 2014 Mitch Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply the best book on bread, good for bakers of any skill level. I use it constantly as a reference and have bought multiple copies for friends and family who want to learn to bake bread.
Jonathan Kandell
Aug 10, 2015 Jonathan Kandell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent sourcebook for recipes for experienced bakers. No frills, just tested formulas. Bias toward german and rye breads, so you won't find "american classics".
Jonathan
Jan 02, 2010 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
This book, written by the bakery director at King Arthor Flour in Norwich, Vermont (Yeah, Vermont!), is super helpful. I’m getting more serious about my home baking as an opportunity to learn to make gormet breads, and this is useful both as a reference and a source for formulas (I’d been looking for a book that had formulas in weight – standard for professional bakers – but also scaled to batch sizes practical for the home). While a book will never be a substitute for practical experience, I hi ...more
Jocelyn Charbonneau
Oct 26, 2014 Jocelyn Charbonneau rated it it was amazing
If there is a single book to own about bread baking, this is the one. I have owned dozen of books on this topic and "Bread" remains the go to reference.
Radek Oryszczyszyn
Apr 03, 2014 Radek Oryszczyszyn rated it it was amazing
W robieniu chleba fascynujące jest to, że aby się udało, musisz trzymać się dokładnie przepisu, odmierzać gramy, pilnować Celsjuszy, przeglądać się przez ciasto, pamiętać o autolizie i siatce glutenowej. Z drugiej strony, na początku, nawet jeśli robisz wszystko jak trzeba, chleb nie wychodzi tak, jak byś chciał i dopiero za którymś razem możesz powiedzieć, że się udało. Książka Hamelmana jest takim punktem wyjścia: żeby zrozumieć, zacząć, a potem iść swoją drogą, eksperymentować, próbować, znow ...more
Tatyana
Dec 12, 2015 Tatyana rated it it was amazing
A good bread recipe book. Still using a lot.
Denise
Feb 07, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Great explanations of the science behind baking bread, which was valuable to me. But definitely geared for professional bakers & people with some specialized bread baking equipment. I could appreciate what this book had to offer but I wish I was further along in my skill level to use its lessons to their true advantage - for intermediate to advanced bakers, not novices. I liked how recipes included side by side instructions for home bakers who did not want to bake in bulk and professional ba ...more
Devilish
May 01, 2013 Devilish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bread
Fabulous book. Hamelman treats you seriously, assumes you have a brain and can work out that things can be varied. His recipes include a conversation with you about the variations. He also informs you in general about what you can expect when you vary things.

The nicest treatment of grain breads I've come across so far. My only mild quibble is that I wish the amounts for the home baker were given in metric as well as imperial.
Snea
Jan 25, 2014 Snea rated it it was amazing
a most excellent and thoroughly useful manual.
Florence Ditlow
Jan 16, 2013 Florence Ditlow rated it it was amazing
I decided to use this book as a reference for my own writing because a professional baker wrote it. It proved its value over and over, down to the sketches and photographs. If I needed to describe a type of bread or baking, it gave me everything I needed to communicate the inestimable value of bread. It even ispired a chapter about bread in an interpretive dance.
Wayne
Dec 21, 2008 Wayne rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
If you want to learn the basics and even more advanced techniques of baking bread, then this is the ONE book to have on your shelf.

My baker friend, a former Head Baker at Per Se and Bouchon Bakery recommended it to me for the few days I spent working with him and I would say it was the best assigned reading I've had in a long time.
Breadman
Mar 25, 2016 Breadman rated it it was ok
My only criticism is that the measurements given should also be in metric units not just pounds and ounces. That makes it quite limiting (and provincial, actually) since the US is the ONLY country still using that outmoded system of measurement. In the end, this makes the book very limiting, and not at all useful.
Ivory
Jan 04, 2012 Ivory rated it liked it
Very good resource for understanding the science behind breadmaking. The breads I've made from this book, though, have not turned out well. With the sourdough, it was more likely baker's error than a problem with the forumula or method set out in the book! I will continue to use this book to enhance my skills.
Bob
Jun 29, 2009 Bob rated it it was ok
You basically have to be a hard-core breadmaker to make sense of this book. I'm a home cook that wanted good info on making bread and learned quickly that this book is really intended more for people who are commercially making bread, not for people like me. So, I gave up after the intro.
Mary Beth
Nov 25, 2013 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Some great advice and insight here -- given me lots of ideas for new stuff at home, as well as why things happen they way they do for bread (homemade or otherwise). Still, it's a little difficult to translate into home baking sometimes.
Mary
Jun 21, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
My rating is from the perspective of wanting a more light hearted bread book with some story, easy recipes and great tips. This is one heavy book - figuratively and by weight! A much more serious bread book than I was after
Kyle
May 28, 2007 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: serious bakers
Shelves: bread
This is the ONLY book out there I can wholeheartedly recommend for the serious baker, professional or amateur. That said, it is geared more towards the professional, or, at least, someone who takes their baking very seriously.
Stephanie
Aug 29, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A great book, but geared more towards professionals. The loaves I've made from this book have been great, though, so I'm hoping I'll grow into the book more (as my technique improves) over time!
Kelly
Jan 26, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It clearly explains everything I could ever want to know about the science, art, and love of baking. The recipes are fantastic too!
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Tartine Book No. 3
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Advanced Bread and Pastry
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking - Make Awesome Bread - Share the Loaves
  • The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Bread Matters: The state of modern bread and a definitive guide to baking your own
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • 1080 Recipes