Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The warm, complex aroma of a fresh-baked loaf of bread can be utterly tantalizing; the first bite, a revelation. In "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes," award-winning master baker Jeffrey Hamelman presents the definitive, one-stop reference on the art and science of bread baking - a kitchen essential for seasoned home bakers and professionals alike. Hamelman,...more
Published September 1st 2004 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel HadjiandreouBeard on Bread by James Beard
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
2nd out of 25 books — 21 voters
Tartine Bread by Chad RobertsonFlour Water Salt Yeast by Ken ForkishTartine Book No. 3 by Chad RobertsonBouchon Bakery by Thomas KellerHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
BREAD--Stars That Rise & Shine
11th out of 32 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Cytowic
Frustrated trying to find a decent loaf of Rye—like my grandmother used to make—I decided to do it myself. I've used the King Arthur whole-grain book, but Jeffrey Hamelman's second edition is far superior.

It gives scale weights and baking percentages. Far better results than measuring by volume. And the taste: delicious! Almost wholly doing whole-wheat sourdough variations.

Highly recommended for the home cook wanting to experiment.
Rob Durante
Jeffrey Hamelman
An accomplished baker, teacher and entrepreneur, Jeffrey Hamelman brings a variety of experiences and skills to his position as Bakery Director at King Arthur Flour. One of fewer than 100 Certified Master Bakers in the United States, Jeffrey began his training working under French and German bakers at Naegele Bakery in Northampton, Massachusetts.
In 1996, Jeffrey was named captain of Baking Team USA, which competed at the Coupe du

Monde de la Boulangerie, an international “Bread Ol...more
David McCormick
My bread book. A tool I depend on like my scale. It includes baking percentages so one can download the free baking % calculator ap and there you go. One loaf or 12, large loaves or small: weigh ingredients only once! Miraculous! All the advanced techniques are here, the author includes his lifetime of baking experience and his passion for making and sharing bread. Also, I love the broad range of recipes thoughtfully included which act as starting places for imagination and experimentation, not...more
Stacy
I didn't actually read every word of this book, but I gleaned what I wanted to from it, which is to say that I read the first chapter in it's entirety (and read more than I ever want to know about The Bread Process, from Mixing through Baking). Then I skimmed many recipes and decided I may never be a fancy bread baker. ~sigh~
Wouter
I can't say I've "read" it completely as I'm still trying out new recipes, but as far as techniques for baking go, this is "THE ONE" book. It's amazing and really pushes me to try new things as far as baking bread goes: from shaping to proofing to technical and chemical details about what happens to flour, everything is carefully explained.
Jeffrey Hamelman did an amazing job in explaining how to create sourdough, including your own starter. There are reading groups on the internet who encourage...more
Pamela Hempston
Brilliant. If you do nothing else with your life, follow the recipe on page 249--Un-Kneaded, Six Fold French Bread. I guarantee you, you will be making this bread for the rest of your life.
Jonathan
This book, written by the bakery director at King Arthor Flour in Norwich, Vermont (Yeah, Vermont!), is super helpful. I’m getting more serious about my home baking as an opportunity to learn to make gormet breads, and this is useful both as a reference and a source for formulas (I’d been looking for a book that had formulas in weight – standard for professional bakers – but also scaled to batch sizes practical for the home). While a book will never be a substitute for practical experience, I hi...more
Radek Oryszczyszyn
W robieniu chleba fascynujące jest to, że aby się udało, musisz trzymać się dokładnie przepisu, odmierzać gramy, pilnować Celsjuszy, przeglądać się przez ciasto, pamiętać o autolizie i siatce glutenowej. Z drugiej strony, na początku, nawet jeśli robisz wszystko jak trzeba, chleb nie wychodzi tak, jak byś chciał i dopiero za którymś razem możesz powiedzieć, że się udało. Książka Hamelmana jest takim punktem wyjścia: żeby zrozumieć, zacząć, a potem iść swoją drogą, eksperymentować, próbować, znow...more
Denise
Great explanations of the science behind baking bread, which was valuable to me. But definitely geared for professional bakers & people with some specialized bread baking equipment. I could appreciate what this book had to offer but I wish I was further along in my skill level to use its lessons to their true advantage - for intermediate to advanced bakers, not novices. I liked how recipes included side by side instructions for home bakers who did not want to bake in bulk and professional ba...more
Devilish
Fabulous book. Hamelman treats you seriously, assumes you have a brain and can work out that things can be varied. His recipes include a conversation with you about the variations. He also informs you in general about what you can expect when you vary things.

The nicest treatment of grain breads I've come across so far. My only mild quibble is that I wish the amounts for the home baker were given in metric as well as imperial.
Snea
a most excellent and thoroughly useful manual.
Florence Ditlow
I decided to use this book as a reference for my own writing because a professional baker wrote it. It proved its value over and over, down to the sketches and photographs. If I needed to describe a type of bread or baking, it gave me everything I needed to communicate the inestimable value of bread. It even ispired a chapter about bread in an interpretive dance.
Wayne
Dec 21, 2008 Wayne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
If you want to learn the basics and even more advanced techniques of baking bread, then this is the ONE book to have on your shelf.

My baker friend, a former Head Baker at Per Se and Bouchon Bakery recommended it to me for the few days I spent working with him and I would say it was the best assigned reading I've had in a long time.
Ivory
Very good resource for understanding the science behind breadmaking. The breads I've made from this book, though, have not turned out well. With the sourdough, it was more likely baker's error than a problem with the forumula or method set out in the book! I will continue to use this book to enhance my skills.
Bob
You basically have to be a hard-core breadmaker to make sense of this book. I'm a home cook that wanted good info on making bread and learned quickly that this book is really intended more for people who are commercially making bread, not for people like me. So, I gave up after the intro.
Mary Beth
Some great advice and insight here -- given me lots of ideas for new stuff at home, as well as why things happen they way they do for bread (homemade or otherwise). Still, it's a little difficult to translate into home baking sometimes.
Mary
My rating is from the perspective of wanting a more light hearted bread book with some story, easy recipes and great tips. This is one heavy book - figuratively and by weight! A much more serious bread book than I was after
Kyle
May 28, 2007 Kyle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: serious bakers
Shelves: bread
This is the ONLY book out there I can wholeheartedly recommend for the serious baker, professional or amateur. That said, it is geared more towards the professional, or, at least, someone who takes their baking very seriously.
Stephanie
A great book, but geared more towards professionals. The loaves I've made from this book have been great, though, so I'm hoping I'll grow into the book more (as my technique improves) over time!
Kelly
This book is amazing. It clearly explains everything I could ever want to know about the science, art, and love of baking. The recipes are fantastic too!
Eddie
if you are at all serious about baking bread, you must buy this book. it's a philosopy, recipe, and textbook all wrapped up into one.
Dineen
Hamelman is a master. Turn to his book and to his techniques for creating authentic, delicious, hand-made artisan breads.
Michael Brando
Super read if you want to know how it all works. Exact science of bread, probably more than most people want to know!
Bart Kramer
The science and practice of baking artisanal bread. More of commercial rather than home spin.
Ermabom
Really awesome and very readable book. I haven't tried any of the recipes in the book yet.
S
Hands down the best break book you can get. If you only want to buy one this is it.
Aug 29, 2010 Sarah marked it as considering
Phil in Ames IA says it's a must-have, and his bread is good enough I believe it.
Andy Paton

Wonderfully inspiring and rewarding book - never tire of it
Ryan
Sep 28, 2008 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
very technical but great for learning the science of it
Kris
A bread bakers bible
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Tartine Bread
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Professional Baking
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • 1080 Recipes
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • The Bread Bible
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, 2nd Edition Chleb: Techniki wypieku, przepisy, wskazówki Understanding Baking: The Art and Science of Baking