Start by marking “Shallow Grave in Trinity County” as Want to Read:
Shallow Grave in Trinity County

Shallow Grave in Trinity County

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Explores the tragic story of a small California town rocked by the 1955 murder of fourteen-year-old Stephanie Bryan, whose killer turned out to be college student Burton Abbott, who lived nearby.
Published July 30th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Shallow Grave in Trinity County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shallow Grave in Trinity County

Murder By the Bay by Charles F. AdamsShallow Grave in Trinity County by Harry FarrellCorpus Delicti by Diane WagnerFolsom's 93 by April  MooreHands Through Stone by James A. Ardaiz
California True Crime
2nd out of 26 books — 7 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonEast of Eden by John SteinbeckThe Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
Trees on Covers
444th out of 535 books — 125 voters

More lists with this book...

♥ Marlene♥
Finished it this morning. This book had been on my wish list for many years till finally managed to buy a secondhand copy. I can say it was worth the wait.

Maybe not as gripping as some true crime books, Harry Farrell writes with a bit more distance but you must not forget that when he finally got all the documents and trial papers, a lot of people who played a big role in the Abbott case had already died.

It is much harder probably to write about a case that happened long ago, I think of Harold S
Mar 06, 2009 Meaghan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true crime buffs
Shallow Grave is an incredibly detailed, day-by-day account of the disappearance of fourteen-year-old Stephanie Bryan in 1955, and the subsequent search for her and the trial and execution of her presumed murderer, a young accounting student named Burton Abbott. Methods to find missing children were very primitive back then compared to now; if Stephanie had been kidnapped today, an Amber Alert would probably have been issued and while it might not have saved her, it certainly would have lead pol ...more
Zack England
As a Bay Area native, this book was pretty spellbinding as a criminal case study with lots of local history and trivia thrown in. I mean, Earl Stanley Gardener even makes a cameo at the courthouse near Lake Merritt!

The book stands alone, though, as a well crafted tale of true crime. Burton Abbott is as enigmatic a character as any fictitious villain. The opening scene (which takes place months after Bryan's disappearance) seems to cast a great shadow of guilt over Abbott from the very beginning
The extremely controversial Abbott case fair bids to go down along side the Borden case as a classic American study in ambiguity,hysteria,and lurking hints of subsurface malevolence which suggest far more appalling evil than evan the original crime.
As in the Borden case,we have the situation of a well-liked young person of some intellectual ability(Lizzie was the first woman to ever sit on the board of an American hospital)caught in a web of circumstances,all of which(with a bit of perhaps exce
Shallow Grave in Trinity County shed light into an unknown aspect of America's middle class, hidden psychopathic tendencies in married men.
on page 125 or so the author suggests a flaw in the defendant's alibi, says it is impossible to get lost in sacramento because the streets are laid out so well. HA i've done it three times. of course i can get lost following a straight line. maybe i shouldn't be bragging about that...
interesting read. knowing the places, roads talked about makes for a good and uncomfortable read.
Jessica Rosner
This book was a little too distant. I never felt like I knew the victim, or the alleged murderer for that matter. The most interesting aspect was the way laws have improved to protect the accused, and also the difficulty in gathering evidence before DNA testing.
This is the non-fiction story of a fourteen year old girl who was kidnapped and murdered in Berkeley, California in 1955. My oldest brother was in the same grade in school as this girl's brother so I was aware of this tragedy during my childhood.
I love this book for the slice of very local history it provides. The actual subject matter is horrifying. But the glimpse of my neighborhood 50 years before I moved here is fascinating.
This book was really well written true crime. It also does a nice job of placing the East Bay in its historical context.

Really an awesome and creepy book.
Megs marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Sue marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Miranda marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Katy Keyser
Katy Keyser marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Sheri added it
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Swift Justice: Murder & Vengeance In A California Town San Jose, And Other Famous Places