Start by marking “Awakening Mercy” as Want to Read:
Awakening Mercy

Awakening Mercy

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  19 reviews
2001 Christy Award finalist
"Awakening Mercy" is the first book in an exciting series by award-winning author Angela Benson. This is a contemporary story about a successful career woman and a man who runs a social services agency in inner-city Atlanta. The reader will learn the consequences of unforgiveness and the willingness of God to restore broken relationships.
Published August 1st 2000 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Mercy

Shawneda
Vertical Reach = 5
Cece and Nate are written with a window into their personal and corporate relationships with God. They are honest and grow in their area of internal conflict as they reach more and stretch more in their relationship with God.

Ministry Message = 5
Forgivenss and mercy are important to give to others and oneself in order to move on and live the best life possible. It is also reinforced in the lives of the Marvin and Shay.

Craft = 4
Benson is a seasoned author and it shows in the no
Debra Odom
This is a really good "make-you-feel-good" book. I like the characters in it CeCe and Nate and his friends. It is a breath of fresh air from the crime/mystery and urban fiction that I have been reading. If you are looking for a good inspirational book, this one fits the bill. This is a long book with 500+ pages but Angela Benson keeps you interested. I can't wait to read the sequel when Shay and Marvin get back together.
Amanda
I liked this book. I got it as a "free read" from Amazon for Kindle so I don't generally expect a lot out of those books. This book was well-written, had fully-formed characters and plot, and was just an overall enjoyable "good read." No sex, instead, courting- the way it should be, with Biblical truths blended in throughout. I would recommend this book to others with leanings toward this genre.
Sara
Typical Kindle Freebie, there seem to be 2 kinds, Christian Romance and the other end of the spectrum. This one is a Christian Romance. It's a fast read, a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Elizabeth Kuzmech
It's great as far as showing characters who are working to follow the Lord. I don't really like romances, so it wasn't my favorite.
Lisa
Such a beautiful love story about two people who loved each other but more importantly they loved the Lord!
Lindsay Foster
I just finished this book. It was excellent! I am glad I stuck with it because it was pretty slow moving in the beginning, and a little more drawn out than I typically like, but it was a wonderful lesson of forgiveness, humility, acceptance, and love. I loved the ending when the main character, Cece, used the thing that had held her back for so long to help others walking in her shoes.
Sandra
I just started reading Christian fiction and this was maybe my 2nd book and I enjoyed it a lot. The Author seemed to have been rushing to write book so there were some details that she could have elaborated on but didn't.
Jeanette
I loved this book! The storyline reminds me so much of my own life. It's a good read for those who enjoy Christian fiction. It's a story of love, life's hard knocks, forgiveness, family and friends. You won't be disappointed!
Justine
Excellent contemporary romance about real, broken people and the many struggles that they face as individuals and as a couple. Many lessons on faith but they are not thrown in your face.
Patriciaw
Re-read of first ever Christian romance I read featuring African American characters. Loved it then (2002) and love it as much now. Story holds up as does the writing.
Aretha Montgomery
This book was just okay to me. It was a struggle to finish. Probably could have been shorter. All issues weren't resolved at the end.
Mara
I loved this book~ Can't wait to read more, and I loved Up Pops the Devil. God bless and I will post an acutal review when I get on again.
Dorothy Ottinger
Romance; boy meets girl, boy gets girl...no mystery there at least it was a clean, well written story. I just do not like romance
Judy Bullard
Good christian reading. People learning how to stop hating and learning to forgive. I enjoyed it.
Loraine
This book had a great storyline as well as strong, Christian characters.
Wanda (The Watered Soul)
A great story of love, pain, and forgiveness
Terry
A refreshing, wholesome good read!
LaSonya
Was a very good read.
Gina Damiani
Gina Damiani marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
donnie greene
donnie greene marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Jacqueline Strand
Jacqueline Strand marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Regina Bush
Regina Bush marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Lisad
Lisad marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
MM Obsession
MM Obsession marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Lena P. Neely
Lena P. Neely marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Missie
Missie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
VANDA R
VANDA R marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • The Someday List (Jubuliant Soul #1)
  • Unto These Hills
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life
  • Long Time Coming
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • White as Snow: A Christmas Story
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • The Mercy Seat
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • The Heart of Memory
  • The Narrow Path
  • Promises Beyond Jordan
  • For Love and Grace
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
  • My Boyfriend's Back
  • Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen
  • Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
Though Angela Benson began writing fiction in Miss Milizo's fifth grade English class, her first book was not published until 1994, more than thirty years later! Since then, Angela has published twelve novels, two novellas, and a nonfiction writing book. Her books have appeared on national, regional and local bestseller lists, and she has won several writing awards, including Best Multicultural Ro ...more
More about Angela Benson...
Sins of the Father The Amen Sisters: A Novel Friend and Lover Up Pops the Devil Delilah's Daughters: A Novel