Start by marking “House by House, Block by Block: The Rebirth of America's Urban Neighborhoods” as Want to Read:
House by House, Block by Block: The Rebirth of America's Urban Neighborhoods

House by House, Block by Block: The Rebirth of America's Urban Neighborhoods

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Not long ago, neighborhoods such as the South Bronx, South Central Los Angeles, and Boston's Roxbury were crime-ridden wastelands of vacant lots and burned-out buildings, notorious symbols of urban decay. In House by House, Block by Block, Alexander von Hoffman tells the remarkable stories of how local activists and community groups helped turn these areas around.
For sixt
Published May 1st 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about House by House, Block by Block, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House by House, Block by Block

Jaclyn
Mar 13, 2016 Jaclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nxst
My reading of this book is highly personal and likely not replicable. I don't think others would give it four (or even three) stars, but this is my field, these are my businesses, my neighborhoods. I already have the vocabulary so reading Von Hoffman was familiar, comforting, and educational. I already had a lot of brain hooks on which to hang the information he presented. The writing is fine, as is the book's organization, and I suppose a case can be made that this is a good primer on case stud ...more
Frank Stein

Sure its just a collection of anecdotes, and the author has a maddening tendency to toss buckets of names into every other paragraph, but I doubt there's another book out there that can better describe the momentous sea change that took place in inner city neighborhoods in the 90s and early 00s.

While in the 1980s serious scholars were considering turning the South Bronx into a giant wildlife preserve, by 2000 a blizzard of programs, mainly from "Community Development Corporations" and the City
Lily
Oct 05, 2013 Lily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting read, but parts of it was just too complicated for me to truly understand community organization. (Like what is a home equity?) I kind of know the gist of what happened, the general trends, the skeleton of how to turn a dying inner city economy or housing market around, but if you ask me to explain it...I couldn't.

Overall it was one of the more optimistic looks at the inner city that I've read. It as also not critical enough of gentrification for my taste.
Tech
Dec 03, 2011 Tech rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a course with the author in Fall of 2011, and this was on the syllabus. It reads like a series of case studies on community development, outlining many of the players and formal/informal processes that contributed to locally-driven community change in places like Chicago, Boston, and New York. If you're a fan of urban studies and are looking for something more illustrative than prescriptive, this is a really enjoyable read.
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Steni
Steni rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Matthew Gillette
Matthew Gillette rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Jeff Wachter
Jeff Wachter marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Timothy S
Timothy S marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Yotam
Yotam rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Ageena
Ageena marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Rachel Nicholas
Rachel Nicholas rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Rik
Rik rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Juliet
Juliet added it
Mar 04, 2014
George Schwartz
George Schwartz rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Asia Maddox
Asia Maddox marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Jeremy Apotheker
Jeremy Apotheker rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013