Start by marking “Jesus: A Life” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A Life

Jesus: A Life

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What are the facts about the life of Jesus, as opposed to the myths, or
unprovable tenets of faith surrounding the miracles, death, and
resurrection? How and when did Christianity become a separate religion
from the Judaism into which Jesus was born? To what extent was his power
over contemporaries political rather than religious? A. N. Wilson's
answers to these questions will
Published October 17th 1992 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Terry Bonner
I will admit that I'm a reader. Like any reader, I have been enthralled, sometimes even enraptured, by the words I've encountered in scores of good books. There have been very few, however, which changed my life. A.N. Wilson's profound biography, JESUS: A LIFE , is a book which changed my life.

Wilson spent his youth studying to be an Anglican priest. Somewhere along the line he lost his faith, only to later rediscover it. In the process of that journey, he swallowed, digested and spewed forth so
Nicolas Shump
Wilson is a good and well-respected biographer who has written other biographies of writers who have religious themes in their writings, namely C.S. Lewis and Leo Tolstoy. Jesus: A Life is a balanced look at the life of Jesus, especially for someone who is no longer a believing Christian. However, his main argument that Jesus is basically too Jewish to have been the Messiah is not particular original.
Wilson relies quite heavily on the work of the Jewish scholar, Geza Vermes.
Still Wilson is adm
Nicolas Shump
This is a balanced look at the life of Jesus, especially for someone who is no longer a believing Christian. However, his main argument that Jesus is basically too Jewish to have been the Messiah is not particular original.
Wilson relies quite heavily on the work of the Jewish scholar, Geza Vermes.
Still Wilson is admirably sens
Jeremy John
The gospels were written through the lenses of those who wished to dissociate a Jewish sect from Judaism so that it would be more palatable to the occupying Romans.

So what we know of Jesus is colored by that reality. However, so much of the gospels' content cannot fit into this neat box that it is impossible to categorize it as one thing or another.

The gospels are, in fact, a completely other type of literature, separate from any historical or fictional narrative.

Anyways, as I attempt to frame t
Shannon Rosser
Very interesting, easy read, really helped my understanding of Jesus.
Elizabeth
Jul 20, 2010 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Comments before reading: I really feel that I need to get back to my faith and I think that this book will help me understand a little bit better. I have no idea if this is based on anything real or not but I hope it's at least educating and will help me get back to my faith that I have been in search of.

Comments while reading: I am only on the preface and already I don't think this book is what I expected it to be. I think it is to debunk the bible. Not sure if I'll finish it or not.
Eric Logan
A.N. Wilson's attempt at a historical biography of the life of Jesus is well written and interesting. The roots of some esoteric belief systems like gnosticism are well explained here. Recommended reading for students of scripture who are well versed in the history of various canons. Not recommend for those seeking affirmation of mainstream belief. Contains lots of controversial subject matter on the life and formation of the Christian church and its schisms.
Pete daPixie
A.N. Wilson is a clever writer, but he isn't a biblical scholar, and his picture of the historical Jesus is not quite up to the mark, mathew, luke and john.
I get the impression that the author is a lapsed church attendee of the Jesus of faith, who needs to get closer to his target by viewing his historical first century Judaic setting.
Ed
A look at the historic evidence, with some speculative interpretation thrown in, makes for a gripping biographical study. I read this back when it was "new," so specifics may elude me at present, but I strongly recall the enjoyment of reading this book and appreciating the author's writing and methodology.
Maggie
Fascinating, easy to reasd info (not like a textbook). Only thing to keep in mind is that the author presents an atheist view in which any magic or miracles must be explained away. Regardless, provides a wonderful and thought provoking perspective into the times.
Keith
I loved this book; included fun stories from other Christian traditions about Jesus as a boy - he was apparently a bully, turning his playmates into goats if they pissed him off. Made Mary a very unpopular neighborhood mom.
Tommy
Interesting to consider the plausibility of the gospels and the real life of the historical Jesus. Regardless of your personal beliefs they are amazing works with a noble message of how to live and treat others.
R
A. N. Wilson is a very good writer who is more of a popularizer of scholarship than a dry scholar himself. An interesting read on the Historical Jesus, and an accessible introduction to the origins of Christianity.
Christina Darell-brown
Intereting that he wrote this after he had lost his faith and subsequently became a Christian again.
Jesus : A Life by A.N. Wilson (1993)
Marcus R.
Marcus R. marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Crystal Post
Crystal Post marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find That Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • James the Brother of Jesus
  • The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth
  • The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus
  • Jesus the Man: Decoding the Real Story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation & the Evidence That Could Change History
  • The Unauthorized Version: Truth and Fiction in the Bible
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?
  • Civilization One: The World Is Not as You Thought it Was
Andrew Norman Wilson is an English writer and newspaper columnist, known for his critical biographies, novels, works of popular history and religious views. He is an occasional columnist for the Daily Mail and former columnist for the London Evening Standard, and has been an occasional contributor to the Times Literary Supplement, New Statesman, The Spectator and The Observer.
More about A.N. Wilson...
The Victorians C.S. Lewis: A Biography Paul: The Mind of the Apostle Tolstoy: A Biography Hitler