Jesus: A Life

Jesus: A Life

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What are the facts about the life of Jesus, as opposed to the myths, or
unprovable tenets of faith surrounding the miracles, death, and
resurrection? How and when did Christianity become a separate religion
from the Judaism into which Jesus was born? To what extent was his power
over contemporaries political rather than religious? A. N. Wilson's
answers to these questions will...more
Published October 17th 1992 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published January 1992)

Terry Bonner
I will admit that I'm a reader. Like any reader, I have been enthralled, sometimes even enraptured, by the words I've encountered in scores of good books. There have been very few, however, which changed my life. A.N. Wilson's profound biography, JESUS: A LIFE , is a book which changed my life.

Wilson spent his youth studying to be an Anglican priest. Somewhere along the line he lost his faith, only to later rediscover it. In the process of that journey, he swallowed, digested and spewed forth so...more
Nicolas Shump
Wilson is a good and well-respected biographer who has written other biographies of writers who have religious themes in their writings, namely C.S. Lewis and Leo Tolstoy. Jesus: A Life is a balanced look at the life of Jesus, especially for someone who is no longer a believing Christian. However, his main argument that Jesus is basically too Jewish to have been the Messiah is not particular original.
Wilson relies quite heavily on the work of the Jewish scholar, Geza Vermes.
Still Wilson is adm...more
Nicolas Shump
This is a balanced look at the life of Jesus, especially for someone who is no longer a believing Christian. However, his main argument that Jesus is basically too Jewish to have been the Messiah is not particular original.
Wilson relies quite heavily on the work of the Jewish scholar, Geza Vermes.
Still Wilson is admirably sens...more
Jeremy John
The gospels were written through the lenses of those who wished to dissociate a Jewish sect from Judaism so that it would be more palatable to the occupying Romans.

So what we know of Jesus is colored by that reality. However, so much of the gospels' content cannot fit into this neat box that it is impossible to categorize it as one thing or another.

The gospels are, in fact, a completely other type of literature, separate from any historical or fictional narrative.

Anyways, as I attempt to frame t...more
Shannon Rosser
Very interesting, easy read, really helped my understanding of Jesus.
Elizabeth
Jul 20, 2010 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Comments before reading: I really feel that I need to get back to my faith and I think that this book will help me understand a little bit better. I have no idea if this is based on anything real or not but I hope it's at least educating and will help me get back to my faith that I have been in search of.

Comments while reading: I am only on the preface and already I don't think this book is what I expected it to be. I think it is to debunk the bible. Not sure if I'll finish it or not.
Eric Logan
A.N. Wilson's attempt at a historical biography of the life of Jesus is well written and interesting. The roots of some esoteric belief systems like gnosticism are well explained here. Recommended reading for students of scripture who are well versed in the history of various canons. Not recommend for those seeking affirmation of mainstream belief. Contains lots of controversial subject matter on the life and formation of the Christian church and its schisms.
Pete daPixie
A.N. Wilson is a clever writer, but he isn't a biblical scholar, and his picture of the historical Jesus is not quite up to the mark, mathew, luke and john.
I get the impression that the author is a lapsed church attendee of the Jesus of faith, who needs to get closer to his target by viewing his historical first century Judaic setting.
Ed
A look at the historic evidence, with some speculative interpretation thrown in, makes for a gripping biographical study. I read this back when it was "new," so specifics may elude me at present, but I strongly recall the enjoyment of reading this book and appreciating the author's writing and methodology.
Maggie
Fascinating, easy to reasd info (not like a textbook). Only thing to keep in mind is that the author presents an atheist view in which any magic or miracles must be explained away. Regardless, provides a wonderful and thought provoking perspective into the times.
Keith
I loved this book; included fun stories from other Christian traditions about Jesus as a boy - he was apparently a bully, turning his playmates into goats if they pissed him off. Made Mary a very unpopular neighborhood mom.
Tommy
Interesting to consider the plausibility of the gospels and the real life of the historical Jesus. Regardless of your personal beliefs they are amazing works with a noble message of how to live and treat others.
R
A. N. Wilson is a very good writer who is more of a popularizer of scholarship than a dry scholar himself. An interesting read on the Historical Jesus, and an accessible introduction to the origins of Christianity.
Christina Darell-brown
Intereting that he wrote this after he had lost his faith and subsequently became a Christian again.
Jesus : A Life by A.N. Wilson (1993)
Kat Robinson
Kat Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Brian Harley
Brian Harley is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Robin Moore
Robin Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Gordon Bermant
Gordon Bermant is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Pushpendra Udawat
Pushpendra Udawat marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Darklady
Darklady marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Jun 17, 2014
Martin Frisher
Martin Frisher marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Mathew Barton
Mathew Barton marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • The Jesus Family Tomb
  • The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus
  • Pagans and Christians
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity
  • Greek Religion
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?
  • Jesus for the Non-Religious
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • Venice: A New History
  • Psychoanalysis and Religion
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
Andrew Norman Wilson is an English writer and newspaper columnist, known for his critical biographies, novels, works of popular history and religious views. He is an occasional columnist for the Daily Mail and former columnist for the London Evening Standard, and has been an occasional contributor to the Times Literary Supplement, New Statesman, The Spectator and The Observer.
More about A.N. Wilson...
The Victorians C.S. Lewis: A Biography Paul: The Mind of the Apostle Tolstoy: A Biography Hitler