Start by marking “The Arms Bazaar” as Want to Read:
The Arms Bazaar

The Arms Bazaar

In this book, Anthony Sampson describes the development of the giant arms companies, beginning with Vickers, Armstrong and Krupp, and traces the recent origins of the boom in arm sales, culminating in the Middle East. He tells how the industrial arms trade proliferated in the late nineteenth century, with such inventors as Hiram Maxim and Alfred Nobel, who blew up his own ...more
Published 1977

To ask other readers questions about The Arms Bazaar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arms Bazaar

Jeff
Jun 14, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
More of a dissertation on the corruption of the aerospace industry in selling it's warplanes than an actual book on arms dealing, but worth a read.
Kym Andrew Robinson
Jan 07, 2014 Kym Andrew Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-military
A very interesting book which covers the industry of arms and trade in weaponry. It addresses the politics of procurement nicely and is a definite page turner with a very well written narrative. My only criticism of this book is that it left me wanting more from this author and the subject.

Though I read this book as a young boy I found even then that it was complimented by such movies as 'Deal of the Century' in a round about way.

88 %
Scott
Nov 07, 2012 Scott rated it it was ok
A mildly interesting book that is less about the global arms trade and more about how aerospace companies ran amok in the 60s and 70s. The book today is quite dated and is perhaps more a historical artifact than anything else. I would not recommend this book unless one is specifically interested in various the levels of intrigue and bribery aerospace companies operated under in the 60s and 70s.
Mark
Jan 14, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I worked along the road from the then Vickers Armstrong on the famous Scotswood rd in Newcastle they were in the worst end where they belong looking out to one of the worst areas in the UK. Its a disgusting evil trade and this book does a good job exposing it. More people should read this.
Rashad Hossain
Aug 10, 2013 Rashad Hossain rated it it was amazing
Exactly as Eisenhower warned us.The Book is well-described and it`s complexity shows Anthony`s Power of Writing,really great,I suggest it`s for you Historical Guys..I suggest it :D ...more
Daniel
Aug 15, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Exactly what Eisenhower warned us about as he retired from the presidency: The rise of the military Industrial complex
Joe Krakovsky
Jan 05, 2016 Joe Krakovsky rated it liked it
War is hell, but so is the marketing of its tools of the trade.
Dave
Feb 09, 2011 Dave added it
informing history of the arms trade
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Ayron Scott
Ayron Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Pakitoinuriak
Pakitoinuriak marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Bente Svendsen
Bente Svendsen rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Reney Adhitya
Reney Adhitya is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Jack Goldberg
Jack Goldberg marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Kevin
Kevin added it
Apr 23, 2016
Jaime A.  Zobel de Ayala
Jaime A. Zobel de Ayala marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Pawee Kongcheep
Pawee Kongcheep rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Luis
Luis is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2016
evie
evie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Nijad
Nijad rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Jeff Kaye
Jeff Kaye rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
D J
D J marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Horza
Horza added it
Nov 09, 2015
Joseph
Joseph added it
Oct 17, 2015
UsamaG
UsamaG marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Alan Fleischer
Alan Fleischer marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Arto Bendiken
Arto Bendiken marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015