Start by marking “Fox” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In this volume, Adrienne Rich pursues her signature themes and takes them further: the discourse between poetry and history, interlocutions within and across gender, dialogues between poets and visual artists, human damages and dignity, and the persistence of utopian visions. Here Rich continues taking the temperature of mind and body in her time in an intimate and yet com ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox

I either slide past Adrienne Rich's poems or I get entangled in the moments of her lines -- the rhythm of words when read slowly, the images overlapping memories and history. A favorite line from this, "The most personal feelings become historical," sums up my observations of her poetic voice. The collection's titular poem is mesmerizing in its evocation of yearning. Terza Rima felt a landscape of being lost internally/externally. This was one of those collections that had enough for me to want ...more
Feb 05, 2011 Mely rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Rereading this before getting to Tonight No Poetry Will Serve. One of my favorites of her recent collections.

Title poem.
Although I don't think this is her strongest work, I still enjoyed it and read through it quickly.

I think my favourite was Terza Rima or Veteran's Day (each were a collaboration of pieces), although Waiting For You At the Mystery Spot has a dear place in my heart (very subtle and delicate, plus it mentioned the tourist trap "the mystery spot" which we'd always see when rock-collecting in Kentucky).

Terza Rima 2: "I lead through live-oak meadows/to the hillside where the plates shuddered// rewind
If it weren't for OCTOBRISH, this compilation wouldn't have had anything in it for me. I'm glad I found it though. It is an amazing poem.
missy jean
Terza Rima is a new favorite.
Stephanie Kelley
Not her strongest collection.
Not my favorite book of poetry by Adrienne Rich. Interesting metaphor, lovely landscapes, but a bit more academic than I prefer in my poetry.
from Waiting For You At The Mystery Spot (p 59): "I sit listening to voices watching the miraculous migration / of sunshafts through the redwoods the great spears / folding up / into letters from the sun deposited through dark green / slots / each one saying / I love you but / I must draw away Believe, I will return..."
Feb 04, 2008 Talia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry peeps and political/radical peeps
Favorite poems from this book:
Regardless, Fox, Messages, and Grating....

Some of Rich's poems are so good/deep that i don't really even understand what she is talking about... but i know it's beautiful... or powerful... and that's enough for me!
i find some poems challenging to decipher and because of that, difficult to connect with. when i do come across a piece that speaks to me, however, its amazing. rich's style is terse and piercing and deeply sensitive.
I wished there were more poems like fox, but I enjoyed this volume although I agree it's not her strongest work. I always feel I have to reread each poem right away to get what was happening.
Heather Mattern
I enjoyed snippets of these words yet not my favorite of Adrienne's collections.
Mikeo marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Sarah Adams
Sarah Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Verity marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Dawn Lanuza
Dawn Lanuza marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Jude marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness
  • Radial Symmetry
  • Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete
  • Please
  • Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #6)
  • A Companion for Owls: Being the Commonplace Book of D. Boone, Long Hunter, Back Woodsman, &C.
  • Negative Blue: Selected Later Poems
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • Pieces of a Song: Selected Poems
  • The Book of Frank
  • Miracle Fair: Selected Poems
  • Mistaking the Sea for Green Fields
Adrienne Rich (b. 1929). Born to a middle-class family, Rich was educated by her parents until she entered public school in the fourth grade. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Radcliffe College in 1951, the same year her first book of poems, A Change of World, appeared. That volume, chosen by W. H. Auden for the Yale Series of Younger Poets Award, and her next, The Diamond Cutters and Other Poems ...more
More about Adrienne Rich...