Start by marking “What the Corpse Revealed” as Want to Read:
What the Corpse Revealed

What the Corpse Revealed

The victim was shot through the heart--but no bullet was ever found.
In a case full of baffling twists, a gunshot wound to the heart leads to a brilliant investigator to one conclusion: a bullet designed to disappear...

The skin was peeled from the victim's hands
A beautiful woman almost gets away with murder because her victim cannot be identified. Then a forensic scientist
Published December 15th 2000 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about What the Corpse Revealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Corpse Revealed

Loren
Jun 02, 2011 Loren rated it did not like it
Shelves: morbid-books
What a misleading title this book has been given. I was expecting something along the lines of the wonderful Dead Men Do Tell Tales (reviewed in Morbid Curiosity #4)—in other words, down-and-dirty details of how corpses helped solve crimes. Only after struggling through eight chapters in which corpses never speak and are sometimes not even consulted did I read the credits page. There I discovered that the original British title of this book was Forensic Fingerprints: Remarkable Real-Life Murder ...more
Jenn
Feb 20, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Jowett
WARNING: The descriptions of many of these crimes are VERY graphic and the crimes themselves are very disturbing.

While this is a good idea, the execution leaves much to be desired. It is like watching a CSI episode based on a crime that really happened as the names, places and some of the facts are changed to be more dramatic.

The author of the book is British and he states in the beginning that he changed the names, places, dates, crimes, pretty much everything in the book, including the "quotes
Dixie Diamond
Dec 26, 2007 Dixie Diamond rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
Interesting, but not very sophisticated or technical.
Emily Murray
What the Corpse Revealed is compiled of 16 unique murder cases that were put to rest due to unimaginable uses of forensic science. Each case included the background of all related persons, the details of how a body was discovered and analyzed, a brief description of how forensic science provided certain leads for detectives, and how each individual case was eventually brought to a close. The biggest take away for this book was that it established the importance of forensic investigation when rel ...more
David
Sep 02, 2016 David rated it liked it
First, the prospective reader should be warned, although this particular book contains forensic scientific investigations based in the U.S. the author is almost decidedly English and his vernacular is very much British-influenced, making it at times a bit of a bother.

Yet, the author manages to take a number of interesting criminal cases from around the world and describe the forensic science which led to the revelation of the criminal behind some of the ghastly acts. Despite the title of the bo
Doug
Sep 21, 2009 Doug rated it liked it
An excllent casebook of strange investigations. What I really liked about the book is that there wasn't much commentary from the author. Each case was presented in a matter of fact way and the color was supplied by the actual detectives and medical examiners, and in some cases witnesses. The interviews with the people who were there allowed the story of the investigations to unfold.

If you're interested in just how good these forensic detecives are, and the horros they can sometimes be confronted
Judy
Sep 08, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
I know I say I'm not a fan of the short story but these 16 different tales of how forensic detection solved the crimes were very good and interesting. They gave just enough detail of the crime to pull you in and enough of the science for you to understand how the crimes were solved without bogging you down in technical details. The title is a bit misleading though as it often wasn't the corpse that revealed interesting details but rather the other evidence found.
Colleen
Mar 30, 2009 Colleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-nature
Interesting but I felt it odd that so many of the cases seemed to deal with a sort of "just" murder, rapist or murdered being taken out by one of the people who was directly effected by their crimes. I know some details and most names were changed, but I found that I could not find most of the cases anywhere on the internet either.
Diana
Sep 25, 2007 Diana rated it really liked it
A compendium of many different crime cases and how forensics solved them.

Very interesting read. Spans many different years and types of crimes, as well as many different forensics techniques. Most cases are very interesting.
Natalie
Aug 06, 2014 Natalie rated it it was ok
Interesting read... I always wondered if there were actually crimes as horrible as some described in novels and now I have an answer, however, I DO NOT recommend this book to any of my friends, because after reading this, I feel messed up in the head...
Edie
Nov 01, 2010 Edie rated it really liked it
Very interesting reading about the real deal after digesting so much fiction! It is horrifing to read about some of these crimes, but satisfying to see how they all got their "rewards" in the end.
Sue
Feb 15, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: crimen
Sixteen different stories, presented in a Sherlock Holmes format. It had potential, nice title, but I found it boring: insufficient forensics.
Jessica
I strongly suspect this book is on the shelf of the writers at CSI - many of the cases profiled here have since been fictionalized on the show.
Anita
Mar 29, 2011 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and strange cases and some rather graphic photos for those of us who are more morbid than the average person!
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2007
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Christopher Dehm
Christopher Dehm rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Nmdrew
Nmdrew rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Kaelee Newton
Kaelee Newton rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Kari
Kari rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2009
María
María rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Allison
This book was not the most thrilling read, but it had its moments. I am glad I finished it.
Raquel Discavage Russell
Raquel Discavage Russell rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2008
S F
S F rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • Blood On the Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
  • Hidden Evidence: 40 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them
  • Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner
  • Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home
  • Teasing Secrets from the Dead: My Investigations at America's Most Infamous Crime Scenes
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • Corpse: Nature, Forensics, and the Struggle to Pinpoint Time of Death
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Cracking Cases: The Science of Solving Crimes
  • Dissecting Death: Secrets of a Medical Examiner
  • Postmortem: How Medical Examiners Explain Suspicious Deaths
  • The Restless Sleep: Inside New York City's Cold Case Squad
  • No Bone Unturned: The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science

Hugh Miller (1937- )
More about Hugh Miller...