Start by marking “Quest For The Future” as Want to Read:
Quest For The Future

Quest For The Future

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Worlds of differing probabilities and the constant search for immortality are the twin themes of this mind-toppling story. Expanding the enigmas of time, van Vogt carries the reader to the furthermost edges of past and future and outwards to a place where time loses all meaning.
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Quest For The Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quest For The Future

Kevin
An interminable bore fest, I'm afraid. The mechanics of the time travel loops are important to the plot, but are not well described. I found myself in the dark throughout much of the story. The main character is not very likeable.
David
Interesting time travel novel. It was first published in 1970 but I had the nagging feeling that I had read parts of this story before. And I was right, for Van Vogt stitched some old stories together to create this novel. It really has more of a 1950's felling to it than 1970. Interesting anachronisms such as mechanical postal delivery systems for transporting films in the late 21st century. No thought whatsoever of digital media, no computers.

The story I remember is that of the first space vo
David
It's actually not as good a book as my rating, but it just really hits my sci-fi nerve where it counts. I love how van Vogt can write a wretched, paranoid person so well it hurts.
Doug Dandridge
Jun 24, 2012 Doug Dandridge rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fan of classic scifi
Another gem from the golden age.
I first read the short story that started this novel going. The short
story, about a man on a trip to Alpha Centauri who wakes up centuries later
to find it already colonized, captivated me. Van Vogt added a lot more
material and turned it into a novel about a man trying to track down a
woman through time after discovering a film showing future tech in
operation. About every type of time travel back and forth are shown, until
a time traveling organization is uncov
TrumanCoyote
Well, no doubt only Van Vogt would think of doing this (ie, tying a bunch of his--seemingly unrelated--stories together to concoct a novel), and only A E would be able to pull it off! As mind-boggling as any of his other stuff...and I suppose at the end it all hung together (the same way he usually gets me feeling toward the finish). The first time I read this I was a kid (it was one of the first things I ever ordered up from the Science Fiction Book Club)...and I don't suppose I understand it a ...more
Lindsay (Santafefan)
Dated style, but still fun.
Steve White
I read this book as a child and was captivated by the breadth of the story and the suprise ending. I forgot about it and years later searched for it finally remembering the title. I'm now re-reading it. Its what got me into Sci-Fi in the first place.
Nick D.
Great story, got a little lost in a few places... But that is what the book is about honestly! An awesome read for someone who likes to think of the possibilities of probability of inter dimensional travel.........
Todd
Fun light novel to read before bed. Lots of time travel to the point that it can be hard to follow, but I think I pieced it together at the end.
Oct 26, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
I don't know why - it's not great science fiction - but I enjoy reading this book every so many years.
Michael
This is my favorite A.E. Van Vogt book. I have read it several times over the years and enjoy every time.
DavidO
Kind of a mediore Vogt story. Not horrible but far from his best.
Adam
Jun 09, 2012 Adam added it
Excellent read. I am officially a Van Vogt fan.
Lyndon Green
My favorite SF book.
Clay Jordan
Clay Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Luke Hays
Luke Hays marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Peter
Peter added it
Feb 04, 2015
Graham Cowen
Graham Cowen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
David added it
Jan 20, 2015
John Piccione
John Piccione marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Mylene
Mylene marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Jan 11, 2015
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Rob Vens
Rob Vens marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jessika
Jessika marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Anackire (Novels of Vis, #2)
  • Corrupting Dr. Nice
  • Divergence (AI Trilogy #3)
  • Trullion: Alastor 2262
  • Fourth Mansions
  • Beyond The Fall Of Night
  • Forerunner Foray
  • Coils
  • Artemis
  • The Final Encyclopedia (Childe Cycle, #7)
  • Terra
  • Collected Poems
  • Blue Champagne
  • Future History (Moties 0.5) (Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Descent
  • A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)
  • Adrift on the Sea of Rains
  • Psychosphere
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro
More about A.E. van Vogt...
The Weapon Shops of Isher The World of Null-A Slan (Slan, #1) The Voyage of the Space Beagle The Weapon Makers