Start by marking “Crabs on the Rampage” as Want to Read:
Crabs on the Rampage

Crabs on the Rampage (Crabs #4)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
One man only saw them and him they killed, hunted him down through the dense reed beds, trapped him, drove him mad with terror before they pulled him to pieces and ate every bloodied shred of his body. And then it was quiet again - for a little while, until they came ashore again. On that holiday beach there were hundreds of men, women and children. Food!
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published June 1st 1988 by Dell (first published September 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Crabs on the Rampage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crabs on the Rampage

Meg by Steve AltenJaws by Peter BenchleyThe Trench by Steve AltenBeast by Peter BenchleyThe Beast of Cretacea by Todd Strasser
Sea Monster Books!
45th out of 89 books — 133 voters
Jaws by Peter BenchleyCujo by Stephen KingCongo by Michael CrichtonZoo by James PattersonMeg by Steve Alten
Animal Attacks
76th out of 95 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Oct 07, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
The fourth volume in the epic story of giant, evil crabs with impenetrable exoskeletons and mean, beady little eyes, this is definitely canon material. Some of the highlights so far:

Blood spouted from the wrist stump, a scarlet salute to the king of the crabs, rich wine spurting into the wizened, lusting face.

I know, right? How about this:

Panicking, tugging at the sash, slamming it hard. Glass splintered and fell tinkling on both sides of the window, an eerie frightening noise that seemed to say
Caris
Apr 14, 2013 Caris rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, pulp, horror, 2013
Huh.

This seems kind of silly to say, but based on the quality of the writing, I don’t know that I believe Guy N. Smith actually wrote this. This book reads like a parody of the Crabs novels, which, again, silly, yes, I know. It reads different. There’s a lot of italics and an excessive number of exclamation points- stylistic choices that haven’t appeared in the rest of the series. And, to cap things off, there’s no plot to speak of.

Say what you will of the Crabs books, but they have always been
K.T. Katzmann
Mar 02, 2016 K.T. Katzmann rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People Who Want a Good Reason to Abandon Hope
This is the most sadistically nihilistic novel I've ever read.
 photo aInveOG_zpsndjvw3wp.jpg

This was also the first crabs book I ever came across.

On a family vacation, prepubescent K.T. checked the hotel lobby bookshelf and found this staring back at him.
 photo Crabs on the Rampage_zpskncnsxzh.jpg
How could any red-blooded young fan of TBS's Super Scary Saturday possibly resist?

The only impression that survived was blood. Lots of blood. Blood everywhere, humans being ripped apart left and right.

Y'know what? Young K.T. was pretty observant.

I'm going to spoil the he
Dreadlocksmile
May 28, 2009 Dreadlocksmile rated it really liked it
Back in 1981 Guy N Smith released the forth instalment into his popular crabs series entitled ‘Crabs on the Rampage’. Ever the prolific writer, the year of 1981 also saw the publication of five other novels by Smith including ‘Doomflight’, ‘Manitou Doll’, ‘Warhead’, ‘Entombed’ and ‘Wolfcurse’.

Great Britain is once again at the mercy of the giant crabs as they return to wreak more bloody havoc on the islands unprepared population. The monstrous crabs are as big as ever, but this time they have a
Timothy Keable
Jun 16, 2015 Timothy Keable rated it liked it
I have to give this book three stars. It's called "Crabs on the Rampage" and that's exactly what it's about!
Fishface
Crabtastic! The killer crabs are back, and this time they have...lips!? Guy Smith takes crab anatomy, crab psychology and crab politics off into crazyland with this one. The crabs are really feeling quite ill in this volume, but they're determined to rid England of featherless bipeds before they die off. WILL ANYONE SURVIVE? Read it and find out.
Stephen
Sep 04, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Couldn't help but picture Garth Marenghi as Cliff Davenport and all of the small stories depicting the rampaging crabs throughout the UK summarising the authors personal views, from single mothers being generally looked down upon by society to boats passing through rising bridges generally bring a pain in the bum. I can picture the author, stuck in traffic at such a bridge one day, cursing the thing while plotting his revenge the only way he knows how.

Read with a glacier of
Craig
Nov 07, 2007 Craig rated it did not like it
Not a very good book about Crabs being on a rampage. I wouldn't recommend it.
Red Siegfried
Sep 27, 2007 Red Siegfried rated it did not like it
Okay, here's what I learned based on this book and reading Guy N. Smith's website at http://www.guynsmith.com/css-nav-2.php

First of all there are three other Crabs books that have not been released in America. All the books are, in order that they were written:

Night of The Crabs, 1976
Killer Crabs, 1978
Origin of The Crabs, 1979
Crabs on The Rampage, 1981
Night of The Crabs 2: Crabs' Moon, 1984
Crabs: The Human Sacrifice, 1988

As far as I can tell only three were published in America, out of order. Th
Christian
Jun 14, 2016 Christian rated it really liked it
I'm giving it four stars even though it probably deserves five. I really enjoyed it and it definitely lives up to the title.
I gave it four stars due to the fact that compared to The Origin of the Crabs, which was full of character depth, this really was just a relenting bloodbath of crabs eating people. Fantastic, but just a little too drastically different for my taste.
Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Dec 20, 2012 Matthew Goode Ⓥ rated it it was ok
Well, there were lots of crabs. I didn't find it satisfying enough as there were no strong characters to focus on; pretty much everyone dies. It's just one crabs kill people segment after another, which gets a little tedious.
Neil Davies
Sep 25, 2012 Neil Davies rated it really liked it
Entertaining trip around the British Isles with the crabs in full destruction mode. Reading my way closer to the new crabs book...
Katy
Feb 15, 2009 Katy rated it it was amazing
Excellent beach read! There are a series of them.
Mo
Sep 06, 2010 Mo rated it did not like it
"a crustacean phoenix rising from the ashes"
David Nicholls
David Nicholls marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Rogue_666
Rogue_666 marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Emma Sea
Emma Sea marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Gavin Nelson
Gavin Nelson rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Zarah Fager
Zarah Fager marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Schiraz
Schiraz rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Eamon
Eamon marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
David Nemire
David Nemire rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
Mark Monastyrski
Mark Monastyrski marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
suzanne truelove
suzanne truelove rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Jeremy Pallant
Jeremy Pallant rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Shaun
Shaun marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
∞Bertha
∞Bertha marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I was born on November 21, 1939, in the small village of Hopwas, near Tamworth, Staffordshire, England. My mother was a pre-war historical novelist (E. M. Weale) and she always encouraged me to write.
I was first published at the age of 12 in The Tettenhall Observer, a local weekly newspaper. Between 1952-57 I wrote 56 stories for them, many serialized. In 1990 I collated these into a book entitled
More about Guy N. Smith...

Crabs (8 books)
  • Night of the Crabs
  • Killer Crabs
  • The Origin of the Crabs
  • Crabs' Moon
  • Crabs: The Human Sacrifice
  • Killer Crabs: The Return
  • Crabs' Fury

“Then out of the dust and sand came the crabs, unharmed and infuriated, scuttling forward in search of revenge!” 0 likes