Start by marking “The House on Hound Hill” as Want to Read:
The House on Hound Hill

The House on Hound Hill

Something is not right in Emily’s new house in the historic London neighborhood of Hound Hill. And something is not quite right with Emily. Encountering hints to her home’s haunted past, she begins to experience distressing symptoms: a headache, a fever, extreme thirst, hallucinations, and, then, a doorway to an earlier period of great distress. Readers will be swept away ...more
Published May 19th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The House on Hound Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Hound Hill

Doomsday Book by Connie WillisForever Amber by Kathleen WinsorYear of Wonders by Geraldine BrooksA Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton WalshThe Plague by Albert Camus
Bubonic Plague
12th out of 68 books — 19 voters
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse AndersonChasing Secrets by Gennifer CholdenkoAt the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary HooperPetals in the Ashes by Mary HooperDeadly by Julie Chibbaro
YA & Middle Grade Epidemics
45th out of 86 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Particle_Person
Fantastic book about a girl whose parents have recently split moving into a new house with something...odd about it. The girl, Emily, feels out of place, caught between friends she hasn't made yet and losing her old ones, and her emotions gradually lead her to see images of the past, the Great Plague of 1665, imprinted on the present. And then the opposite happens and she finds herself in 1665 in the middle of a terrifying situation.

The book is written entirely in the present tense, which I foun
Andrea Hussey
Apr 22, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I've read it twice already.

Mystery, ghosts, and history. Everything you could ask for!

I don't know how the author managed it, but this was romanticizing the black plague, as crazy as that sounds. The first time I read this as a kid in middle school I think, I was so interested in the tallow candles and the cart carrying the dead through the streets, and just how people lived in the town and how life was when the black plague, and the little rhyme "ring around the roses" actually stem
Ashley
Aug 16, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
The House on Hound Hill will have readers on the edge of their seats as they try to discover and maneuver the 17th century with Emily. As Emily gets settled in her new house she begins to see things, and at first she thinks she’s crazy but then people in the present are coming down with the plague. Emily starts talking to these hallucinations and comes to the realization that history is alive on Hound Hill. The reader is transported between time periods and forms a real connection to the problem ...more
Gail Morris
Feb 23, 2015 Gail Morris rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this story - it reminded me of a story I read as a child called, "Stephen" or "Steffan" I don't remember the spelling and I don't remember the author. It was about a young prince from the 800's being found in the 1800's by two children. Stephen came and went between the two times much like the main character here that went to and fro from 1665 to 1995. It made me want to find the book from the library of my youth and read it again.
Meredith
Jun 11, 2009 Meredith rated it really liked it
I loved, loved, loved the beginning and middle of this cool book about the plague in London. It had a time travel/ghosts/visions type thing going on. It was creepy and suspenseful and very enjoyable. I was a little disappointed by the ending, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. I can't decide if the ending is confusing or if it's just really abrupt. Or maybe both. But still, the overall effect was very cool.
Shankia Tinsley
Apr 30, 2014 Shankia Tinsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read this book some years back, and to this day, it's hard to keep it off my mind. More than anything, what gets me is how the story has a mixture of various genres; mystery, fantasy, history, etc. I like stories that enmesh categories. I also like how--even though the story itself is fiction--it is centered on events that actually happened years and years ago.

If Maggie Prince were to write anything else, I would be sure to hope for it to be similar to The House on Hound Hill!
Heather
Jun 10, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my sister recommended this book to me years ago, and I really liked it. the mystery keeps you interested in the story and what exactly happened and will happen to the boy in the story.
I remember being disappointed that there wasn't any love in the story, though. I wanted her and the guy to somehow end up together!
Amy
Feb 29, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book! A girl in present day finds a ripple in time and begins to live in both the present time and the past, the days of the Black Plague. Each time she gets sent back to the past she stays longer and longer until she is there permanently. Something unresolved happened in the past and she has to figure out what it is.
Christine Verstraete
Sep 09, 2010 Christine Verstraete rated it it was amazing
Wow! I found this in a pile of books I was sorting out and almost set it aside. Then I saw it was set i n the time of plague in London, a topic I find interesting. The teen in the book moves into a house where plague once broke out and finds herself among those able to see and feel the past. A fascinating and realistic approach to showing the horrors of the 1600s in London. Fascinating read!
Jennifer Hubble
May 16, 2011 Jennifer Hubble rated it really liked it
Pretty good and a quick read. It was about a girl who moved into a house on Hound Hill with her family and finds out she has the ability to see and time travel to the time of the black plauge in 17th century london. Kinda startling and sad at times but good if your looking for a light read
Camille
Feb 01, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
I don't know how much I would like it if I had read it on my own but I liked it for class. My students didn't love it. It's a little. Infusing for them and there were some parts that confused me too.
Cristian Valenzuela
Jan 11, 2012 Cristian Valenzuela rated it did not like it
I thought this book was really boring. The main reason was because i could berely get to the finis. I thought this would be a thrilling book about paranormal actions but wasn't
Stephanie A.
Scary blend of haunted house, time travel, and historical fiction. And now you're all afraid to move into an old house lest this phenomenon happen to you.
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 22, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
Vaguely intriguing; time is fluid in this novel, which is a neat premise, but the story was a bit too odd and abrupt and didn't flow very well.
Russell Hall
Feb 16, 2011 Russell Hall rated it liked it
Shelves: purchase
What does happen when the energy and history of a place becomes trapped? Worse Still, what happens when the bonds that hold that history and energy begins to come apart.
Natasha pratt
Jan 31, 2010 Natasha pratt rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read it over and over. Though I keep expecting some romance to be included. But there is none, and it has been left out unfortunately.
Ariella Portanova
Ariella Portanova rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Chelinda
Chelinda rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Ashlie Caster
Jan 02, 2011 Ashlie Caster rated it liked it
Good, short read. Was one of my favorites in the 5th grade
Savannah
Savannah rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Elissa
Elissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Catie
Catie rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Lynette
Lynette rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Anna Wooliver
Anna Wooliver rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Lulu Barrett
Lulu Barrett rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Katherine Beard
Katherine Beard rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Carrie Baumbach
Carrie Baumbach rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Karon
Karon rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Kati
Kati rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Another Shore
  • The Reluctant God
  • The Whispering: A haunted house mystery
  • Building Blocks
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • Burning Road (The Plague Tales, #2)
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • The Hour of the Cobra (Time-Travel Series, #2)
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • Three Lives to Live
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • Letters from Atlantis
  • Abducted
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
  • The Princess in the Pigpen
  • The Big Meow (Feline Wizards #3)