Start by marking “There's an Owl in the Shower” as Want to Read:
There's an Owl in the Shower

There's an Owl in the Shower

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Not only does Bardy the owlet like the shower, he likes to ride on the handlebars of Borden's bike, and watch the late late show from Leon's shoulder. Favorite nature writer Jean Craighead George tells a tender story of a logging family who unknowingly falls in love with a spotted owlet. A lighthearted and humorous look at the debate between human industry and nature conse ...more
Published September 13th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about There's an Owl in the Shower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's an Owl in the Shower

Allison
Aug 21, 2011 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8+
I really like Jean Craighead George however, I think this one was aimed at an even younger audience than the Mountain Trilogy I read earlier this summer. I just wasn't as crazy about it as I was about them. Part of my displeasure was simply that the story wasn't really what I expected it to be. There is very little of it that involves the shower and owl antics inside the house. It's much more about the conversion of a logger/spotted-owl hater into a conservationist/nature lover.

It's a great book
Iptisam
was interesting because I was asking my self how an owl get in the shower
Phoebe
Two baby spotted owls have very different fates when they are blown from their nest in a windstorm. One is killed almost immediately. The other is picked up and brought home by Borden, a boy whose father, a logger, is out of work because of endangered spotted owls. Borden is angry, and wants to kill the owls, source of all of his family's troubles. Instead, he finds compassion and understanding through Bardy, the little half-starved owl. Borden's father, also angry, assumes most of the caretakin ...more
Ellen
This book was a little heavy-handed with environmentalism, tugging at heart-strings over the fate of a family of spotted owls, but it would still serve as a useful book for discussing both sides of environmental stewardship and the need for people to have jobs and use natural resources for the benefit of mankind.

Update: One of my students spotted a use of the word "damned" that I had missed in my earlier reading. Sadly, that does hurt this book's usefulness in my estimation.
Great book for grades 3-5. I used it as a read aloud. Deals with land conservation and endangered species. This book can be tied into the United States unit for 4th grade Massachusetts curriculum (it is set in a small town in northern California). Another tie in book may be the picture book Redwoods by Jason Chin (great pictures!).
Mrs.Y. Yeingst
This book is the well written account of the conflict between loggers and the spotted owl in the Pacific northwest. Does a good job of helping the reader understand both sides of the situation. I love animal stories, and this is one of the best.
Laurie Gaynor
#Trinity Mountains California #Owls/Birds #Environmentalism #Forestry/Fishing #Occupations #Science

In this middle-grade novel, author Jean Craighead George tells the story of how one unusual spotted owl makes his way into the home—and hearts—of a family of loggers.

Interest Level
Family Life
Endangered Animals and Welfare
Reading Quiz Program
Julie
We loved this book! This was one of my 8yo's silent reading assignments... he reads to himself, I read when he's busy, and then we discuss the book. He couldn't put it down, and I was charmed by it, too. I gave this book five stars because my son insisted, and since it is a children's book I figured that I should listen to him. I, however, probably would have given it 4 stars. In my opinion, the ending was a bit too neat.... the book was building up to a situation that could have had a lot of co ...more
Dolly
Feb 12, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Our oldest and I are getting into the habit of sharing books and I love it. Normally, we pick out books at the library for her independent reading and I will read them after she does so that we can discuss the plots and themes. I love that she gets excited for me to read them and is often so thrilled over a particular part that she can't help but give away the plot.

With this book, she read the story in class and loved it so much that she asked her teacher if she could bring it home for me to re
Darya
It was a surprise to discover that this book is about the endangered spotted owl. It was an interesting story about the son of an unemployed logger who resented the Spotted Owls because his dad lost his job due to a court order that protects the owls. Also interesting because my class just finished their projects on endangered species and one of them was about the Spotted Owls.
We Writers
There’s an Owl in the Shower is the interesting story about Bardy the owl and the humans who took care of him. You can learn a lot about owls from this book. It has lots of fascinating details. I especially enjoyed the part where the owl imprinted on the humans. I learned a lot about how they took care of Bardy the owl. If you like funny books about owls than this is the book for you.

There’s An Owl In The Shower!
There’s an Owl in The Shower is an inspiring book. I love it! A boy named Borden b
Kieran
The plot builds up nicely and the author sets up the characters so that you can really know them. This is not a humorous book, even thought the title suggests it would. The ending is a bit abrupt and anticlimactic.
Ms.
Apr 09, 2009 Ms. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
Shelves: payge-c
This book is about a boy named Borden who's dad lost his job as a logger because the government wanted to save the Spotted Owls homes. Borden and his dad Leon hate the spotted owl now because its's because of the owl his dad doesn't have a job anymore. Borden finds a owlet and can't just not take it home so he does. His dad gets in a punch fight and gets a ticket. He doesn't want to pay it off so he comes home and uses the owl as proof that loggers still love animals. Then he doesn't notice that ...more
Alyssandra
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this book.
Andd Becker
There is a major difference of opinion when a boy brings home an owlet. A larger issue the author explores with dignity is owl lovers versus owl haters.
Loggers have lost their jobs because environmentalists insist that trees, homes of owls, be not cut down. The spotted owl is about to become extinct.
The author touchingly describes the father's growing love for the owl and the mother's inventive way of performing first aid. The family eventually learns their owl's identity and releases him int
Julie Pascoe
Why is an owl in the shower? Read to find out how and why the father's attitude toward owls changed.
Jill
Read this book with my 9 year old daughter and absolutely loved it! What a great story!
Elaine
For younger readers. Good story about how the environment is interdependent.
Melody Philbrick
Spotted owl vs. loggers. Still a good story.
Amy Zheng
I think people should read this book because it is a great book about endangered owls and how they can save the enviroment. Also because it's about a guy who hates owls but instead turning out to love Barney the owl. Also u can learn what kind of owls there is if you don't really know. Sometimes you can learn what owls eat by reading the chapters and learning what owls like the most and other things you don't know about owls. Everyone should go to a bookplace and you should go buy it and learn e ...more
Ashley
Cute 3rd-5th grade read
S.K.
Right when it seemed to get heavy handed with the environmentalist message, it gave a slight nod to the other side. I liked that forestry was a part of this book. Cutting trees isn't all bad...just do it responsibly. This book touched on all sides.

Characters weren't all that deep and sometimes the flowery language bogged the story down a bit. I REALLY enjoyed learning about birds and specifically owls. It was integrated into the story quite naturally.
Neill Smith
When the local loggers start losing their jobs because of confrontations with the environmentalists over habitat for endangered spotted owls Borden Watson begins to hate the owls and plans to start shooting them. Then he finds an abandoned owl and when he brings it home it imprints on his logger father who has just been charged for getting in a fight with Borden’s science teacher. Well-written story reflecting many sides of the issue.
Brooke
This book is about a boy and his dad who hates owls, when one day and owl was left alone on the ground and then the little boy found him and his dad was like no because they don't lie owls because they ruined there construction site because there would be no owls left of they knocked down all the trees. I would rate this book a 3 out of 5 stars because it was REALLY short
✫Isabella✫
Oct 09, 2008 ✫Isabella✫ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who would like it
Recommended to ✫Isabella✫ by: no one
I read this book around the second grade. I checked it out from a library in Vernal and after reading it, I thought for about five years without reading it again that it was my favorite book.
But when I tried reading it again last year, it was really boring and so it's been crossed off my favorites list.
Samantha
Cute book! Not too long a read. Took about a day and a half not hardcore reading. Great story about a small town, a family and an owl who changes the family's perspective on what's important in life. A real sweet story that teaches and brings entertainment. Bardy is such a cute owl! Nice illustrations too.
Lisa
I purchased this (twice!) for my nephews. Once I shipped it directly and forgot about it. The second time I bought it and shipped it. That time I read it before I sent it. It is a fun story about a boy who rescues an owlet in the Pacific NW. There's a nice moral woven in, but the story is cute.
Dawn Samsel
Borden's father, Leon, was a logger in the old-growth forests of California. That is, until the spotted-owl lovers interfered. One day, frustrated by his father's unemployment, Borden sets out on a mission of revenge against the spotted owl but returns home with a half-starved owlet instead.
Troywisittasak
this book is mostly about a boy who found an endangered animal called a spoted owl and he found out they are meat eaters so he found wood rats in his house so they chopped the mouse and feed the owl the rat tail and meat.the boy and father go to some of this place to catch wood rats.
Selina
Well, I guess this would be a great book to read while studying owls and their habitats. It does raise some very valid points on conservation, but the story really stunk. Sorry, my girls and I need a bit more than an owl in a shower to get our attention.
Various features of a steam shower 1 2 Sep 12, 2014 04:43AM
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • The Kid Who Ran For President (Kid President, #1)
  • The Dark Stairs (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Sun & Spoon
  • On Meadowview Street
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • Strider (Leigh Botts, #2)
  • Amber Brown Is Green With Envy
  • Fig Pudding
  • Tall Tales
  • Always October
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • Soccer Halfback
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • December Secrets
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey ...more
More about Jean Craighead George...
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2) Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)