Start by marking “When I Feel Sad” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
When I Feel Sad

Cornelia Maude Spelman

When I Feel Sad (The Way I Feel)

Children will take comfort from Cornelia Maude Spelman's latest addition to her The Way I Feel series. Readers will recognize similar experiences in their own lives as this little guinea pig describes feeling sad when someone is cross or when something bad happens. Eventually our heroine realizes that feeing sad doesn't last forever.
Published September 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about When I Feel Sad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Feel Sad

Ally Lybbert
Feb 16, 2017 Ally Lybbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eled-340
Picture book
I'm still looking for good books for emotional intelligence.
this did a good job explaining that it's okay to feel sad.
I would use this with a whole class or an individual student.
Alexis Weber
Personal Reaction: I liked this book because the illustrations and sentences were all very straight to the point. It was a very simple book, making it easy for young students to understand. It is the perfect beginner reader book, to get students aquatinted with reading on their own.

Purpose/Use in the Classroom:This book would be a good independent read in a kindergarten classroom. "When I Feel Sad" is a good book for students to read by themselves because the sentences are not complex and are e
Taylor Horvat
I liked this book by Cornelia Maude Spelman, because it was simple and straightforward and definitely applicable to young kids exploring new feelings and understanding them. The illustrations by Kathy Parkinson were simple and sweet, showing a little hamster feeling sad in different situations and eventually understanding that it is completely okay to feel sad sometimes.

This would be a great read aloud for preschool or kindergarten because this age level is still navigating through their feeling
Abby Zwetzig
I liked this book because it was applicable for young kids learning about emotions, it is good for kids to know that it is okay to get sad sometimes and that everyone does. It is also good for children to know about the different emotions and know how to handle them positively. It helps make kids feel comfortable with their feelings instead of self conscious and understand why they are having those feelings. It is a good independent reading book for preschoolers exploring their emotions because ...more
Evelyn Mauldin
Nov 17, 2015 Evelyn Mauldin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-emotional
This book is a about a guinea pig who sometimes feels sad. He talks about all the different things that make him feel this way. For example, he talks about when he misses his friends and family, when his friends don't want him to play with him, and when he gets hurt. This book is great for preschool curriculum, because the author provides things that he can do to make him feel better when he is sad. Additionally his feelings are validated, which is extremely important for young children. Teacher ...more
Dolly
Apr 20, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good book for exploring feelings of sadness and how to deal with it. Our girls liked the book, but it wasn't so much of a story as a cute and fuzzy self-help book for kids, just like the book about jealousy that we read by the same author. I thought it was okay. It was too overt about the issue; I think books that are tell a story with the theme woven throughout the tale are more effective.
Kristina Moss
When I Feel Sad by Corneila Maude Spelman I a great book for young children. This book is about examples of common emotions and ways to handle them positively. I would use this book in my classroom to help my students recognize and regulate their own emotions. I think this book is great for young students because it displays to them that feelings and emotions are natural.
Lauren Brown
This book gives examples of times when you might feel sad about something. It is good because it says even though you may feel sad you will not feel sad forever and it will pass. I like it and think that children could relate to it as well.
Suz
Apr 26, 2013 Suz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
I've been collecting all these Cornelia Spelman books about feelings for the library. They are good for guidance class or other classroom discussions with younger students about dealing with feelings appropriately (or even identifying feelings).
Stephanie
May 21, 2009 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ella
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I can't decide if they are helpful for kids to be able to express how they are feeling or if the message they are conveying takes precedence over telling a really good story that could have done the same thing.
Janae
Jan 24, 2013 Janae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
This is the first book we read in this whole series on emotions. I think it was a little advanced for Whitman (22 months), but he did stay focused the whole time. It's a great idea for a series.
Meghan
This is one of three books that I picked up at a thrift store, I found it to be a useful tool for helping younger kids relate what they are feeling and to help express that.
Gina M. Heaney
Gina M. Heaney rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Noura
Noura rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Heila
Heila rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Eric Coulbourne
Eric Coulbourne rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Shelley Chambers
Shelley Chambers rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Kasia Plichcińska
Kasia Plichcińska rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
J.
J. rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Sarah Stanton
Sarah Stanton rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Jill Moon
Jill Moon rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Moriah
Moriah rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cornelia Maude Spelman is a writer, artist, and former social worker who writes about the importance of emotions and healthy relationships in the lives of children and families.
More about Cornelia Maude Spelman...

The Way I Feel (8 books)
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Scared
  • When I Feel Jealous: The Way I Feel Books
  • When I Feel Worried
  • When I Miss You (Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Good about Myself