Start by marking “When I Feel Sad” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
When I Feel Sad

Cornelia Maude Spelman

When I Feel Sad (The Way I Feel)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Children will take comfort from Cornelia Maude Spelman's latest addition to her The Way I Feel series. Readers will recognize similar experiences in their own lives as this little guinea pig describes feeling sad when someone is cross or when something bad happens. Eventually our heroine realizes that feeing sad doesn't last forever.
Published September 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about When I Feel Sad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Feel Sad

Taylor Horvat
I liked this book by Cornelia Maude Spelman, because it was simple and straightforward and definitely applicable to young kids exploring new feelings and understanding them. The illustrations by Kathy Parkinson were simple and sweet, showing a little hamster feeling sad in different situations and eventually understanding that it is completely okay to feel sad sometimes.

This would be a great read aloud for preschool or kindergarten because this age level is still navigating through their feeling
Alexis Weber
Personal Reaction: I liked this book because the illustrations and sentences were all very straight to the point. It was a very simple book, making it easy for young students to understand. It is the perfect beginner reader book, to get students aquatinted with reading on their own.

Purpose/Use in the Classroom:This book would be a good independent read in a kindergarten classroom. "When I Feel Sad" is a good book for students to read by themselves because the sentences are not complex and are e
Kristina Moss
When I Feel Sad by Corneila Maude Spelman I a great book for young children. This book is about examples of common emotions and ways to handle them positively. I would use this book in my classroom to help my students recognize and regulate their own emotions. I think this book is great for young students because it displays to them that feelings and emotions are natural.
Abby Zwetzig
I liked this book because it was applicable for young kids learning about emotions, it is good for kids to know that it is okay to get sad sometimes and that everyone does. It is also good for children to know about the different emotions and know how to handle them positively. It helps make kids feel comfortable with their feelings instead of self conscious and understand why they are having those feelings. It is a good independent reading book for preschoolers exploring their emotions because ...more
Dolly
Apr 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a good book for exploring feelings of sadness and how to deal with it. Our girls liked the book, but it wasn't so much of a story as a cute and fuzzy self-help book for kids, just like the book about jealousy that we read by the same author. I thought it was okay. It was too overt about the issue; I think books that are tell a story with the theme woven throughout the tale are more effective.
Stephanie
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I can't decide if they are helpful for kids to be able to express how they are feeling or if the message they are conveying takes precedence over telling a really good story that could have done the same thing.
Suz
I've been collecting all these Cornelia Spelman books about feelings for the library. They are good for guidance class or other classroom discussions with younger students about dealing with feelings appropriately (or even identifying feelings).
Lauren Brown
This book gives examples of times when you might feel sad about something. It is good because it says even though you may feel sad you will not feel sad forever and it will pass. I like it and think that children could relate to it as well.
Janae
This is the first book we read in this whole series on emotions. I think it was a little advanced for Whitman (22 months), but he did stay focused the whole time. It's a great idea for a series.
Meghan
This is one of three books that I picked up at a thrift store, I found it to be a useful tool for helping younger kids relate what they are feeling and to help express that.
Leslie
Helps kids identify when and why they feel sad and lets them know it's okay to be happy.
Mary
Great collection to help our little ones communicate their feelings
Shawna
Shawna added it
Jun 27, 2015
Tammy Celus
Tammy Celus marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Carol
Carol added it
Apr 25, 2015
Foxiang Chen
Foxiang Chen is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Becky Kirk
Becky Kirk marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Annka
Annka added it
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cornelia Maude Spelman is a writer, artist, and former social worker who writes about the importance of emotions and healthy relationships in the lives of children and families.
More about Cornelia Maude Spelman...

The Way I Feel (8 books)
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Scared (Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Jealous: The Way I Feel Books
  • When I Feel Worried
  • When I Miss You (Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Good about Myself
  • When I Care about Others
When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books) Your Body Belongs to You When I Miss You (Way I Feel Books) When I Feel Scared (Way I Feel Books) When I Care about Others