Start by marking “Wren's War” as Want to Read:
Wren's War

Sherwood Smith

Wren's War (Wren #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,369 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
When the evil Andreus's hunger for power leads to war, Wren and her friends are thrust into the middle of the struggle. Teressa is heir to the throne, Tyron her chief magicmaker, and Prince Connor a reluctant warrior. As allies die and others disappear, they must put aside their feelings for one another if they are to defeat the sorcerous Andreus. They know they need magic ...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Wren's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wren's War

Andrea
It's not unknown for a children's book to ruthlessly kill off a few parents at the beginning of a story, but when it's book 3 of a series it has a big impact. I was sad to see the King and Queen's fate (in the first chapter - not a big spoiler). But this definitely gave Teressa a chance to step up to her future.

(view spoiler)
Sherwood Smith
Jun 06, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
The e-book edition is now up. I cleaned up the prose, but the story is unchanged.

When I first planned this book, I was a teen, and fairly bloodthirsty. When I wrote it in my mid-thirties, I stuck to the plan. I don't know that I would start it off so shockingly if I were to write it now.
Wealhtheow
Jan 02, 2012 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Princess Teressa has been trying for years to make up for spending her childhood undercover in an orphanage. She works unceasingly to be a good princess, despite repeated kidnap attempts and sneering relations. But then King Andreus's soldiers attack, (view spoiler) leaving her on the run. Teressa has to reclaim her kingdom from Andreus, while proving to her power-hungry relatives that she can rule. It's a tall order, but Teressa is smart and self-possesse ...more
Jacy
Mar 11, 2010 Jacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much better than the second. The character's really grow, not only in ways that change their lives forever but ways that also make their friendships different. It was well worth reading!
Q
May 04, 2017 Q rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite book out of Wren series. It felt like Wren was not even a supporting character in it. Instead, she was delegated to something like an instrument of furthering other characters' quests.

If felt like she was barely there, her thoughts always illustrating something happening to others instead of being reflection of her own actions and I felt like she's entirely convinced that she should do anything at all.
Aelvana
Aug 23, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The war everyone has been so long dreading has at last burst upon them. In a single night, hostilities explode between Andreus and his armies and the unprepared Cantirmoor. Tess, heir to the throne, stuck without kingdom or army, is trying to raise the forces needed to over throw the invaders. Tyron, who is to be her magician, is trying to find a way around Andreus's vast magic. Prince Conner has trained for war---but he finds it increasingly distasteful. And Wren is the wildcard who does what s ...more
E.L.
Dec 07, 2011 E.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the first three Wren books. One of the things I like best about Sherwood Smith's writing is that she doesn't wrap things up in neat little packages, and her characters are more real people than book characters. This doesn't always make for the best reading, sadly, and I think the first two books in the series suffered a bit from characters wandering about somewhat aimlessly - again, very realistically, but sometimes characters need to be more than just human.

This book, though, fin
Kelli
May 05, 2010 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I want to review the last book in this series because I really think of the three books as one big book. A book about friends. Sherwood Smith's writing and ability to suck the reader into her world is top notch. This series, however, isn't my favorite of hers, but its still worth looking into. I felt that at the end of this book, the resolution was not clear. In the first book, I thought that Conner and Tessa were meant for each other and Tyron (Dear Tyron) and Wren were meant to be. But ((SPOIL ...more
Laina
I decided to re-read this series when I discovered that Smith had published a fourth book a few years ago. This series really affected me as a child and I had been wanting to go back to it, but the discovery of a new novel I had not read yet really, really excited and motivated me to finally do it.

I'm happy to say that it has held up. Everything that I look for in middle grades fantasy books is here. Wren is a superb heroine who values both her independence and her friends and family and loved
xenu01
I probably would have appreciated this book if I'd read it when I was 12 and reading the first of the trilogy over and over again. As it was, I forced myself to finish this one because I needed some closure. This is a book about a war which yet lacks any real stakes. And it became increasingly clear that she was too invested in her beloved characters to have them make mistakes or give them any true character flaws. As a result, despite the body count, I found myself bored and not invested in the ...more
Kirsten Kowalewski
I've read a significant number of Sherwood Smith's books in the past few months-- many of them are available inexpensively as ebooks-- and I have read the two previous books in the Wren series. Of them, I feel that this is the least satisfactory. Smith spent a fair amount of time building up the relationships between Wren, Teressa, Connor, and Tyron in the first two books and all of that seems to disintegrate almost instantly in this one. Connor's character changed considerably, almost abruptly, ...more
ambyr
As the scale of these books get larger, unfortunately, they work less and less well for me as an adult reader. I have an easier time suspending disbelief for kids on a quest than kids at war. I still like the characters a lot (though Connor's angst, which I remember finding very moving as a young reader, now makes me roll my eyes), but the action doesn't work for me. I don't have a reliable sense of scale for the world; it seems like some characters make journeys in days that it takes other char ...more
Eavan
May 09, 2010 Eavan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in a children's fantasy trilogy I first read 12 years ago, this book continues to be engaging and impressive from a worldbuilding point of view. Remarkably, I have a clear sense of who each character is and what kind of social and environmental space they inhabit, and yet I find I don't care about any of the characters. All Sherwood Smith's books seem to be cast in an adventure-story mold where you know all the main characters are going to be just fine in the end. That makes it ve ...more
Kirstie
Nice ending to a fun series. It still leaves you thinking there will be more books to come and I'm ok with that. I like how the characters grew up a little in each book, and also appreciate how much they learned and developed. Wren is definitely my favorite and I wish I could have her strength and cool abilities. I also like how Tessa learned to be a queen and the characters all found strength in sticking to together and treasuring their friendships.
Elentarien
Another good addition to the Wren series. I quite enjoyed it.

I did have a bit of trouble with Connor in this one. He seemed 'sulkier' than the previous two books. With reason, I suppose, but since a year or so had gone by since book two, one hardly expected to see him still sighing over the same issues he was in book two. Although, since when is life speedy?

All in all a very good read, and I look forward to getting my grabbers on book 4 :)
Melissa
Feb 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young girls
Recommended to Melissa by: amazon
k my favorite of the three books. I guess I liked that they all grew up a little and that things got a little more serious for the land and characters. Wren is on of my favorite female characters. You just never knew what she was going to come up with next but she was so human. I also discovered there is a kindle book called Wren Journeymage that is a squeal to this book. her web sight is also very informative and will tell you the order of her books.
Nicole
Jun 20, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Wren and her friends definitely grow from their young naive selves to confront the harsher aspects of reality: that their actions affect a lot of people.

We are still confronted with some of the ignorant actions of our band of heroes but hey no one can be perfect especially at their young ages.

Another enjoyable read by Sherwood Smith.
Emily
Sep 21, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
This is the last book that has been written in the Wren series. However, she leaves the ending wide open for more books. In this book the main characters do a lot of growing up and developing/discovering their talents.
Shauna
Sep 27, 2012 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherwood Smith does not always go the most predictable route, and I guess I appreciate that, but sometimes I want my fairy stories to be just so. Still I enjoyed the development of the characters, and perhaps Smith has just left room for another book (ah, yes, I see there is a Wren #4).
Apr 11, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Wren series, but I was surprised by the hints of a budding romance between Tess and Connor who are quite closely related. From the family tree, and storyline, he's her uncle! I also wished Tyron played a larger role in the story.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
I've forgotten how much I enjoy the Wren books. Sherwood Smith has an excellent of transporting you somewhere completely different. I wasn't a total fan of how this ended, but really if that's the only complaint you have with a book I think that's pretty good.
Katey
Sep 14, 2007 Katey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: young-adult
to be quite honest, i'll have to reread it to give you any plot details, i read this about 15 yrs ago. i remember loving it though. i also remember that i wanted hair like wren's, with streaks of black, blonde, brown, & red all through her hair.
Katie
Mar 10, 2009 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute
MaryBliss
Enjoyed the continuation of Wren's story and plan to read Wren Journeymage next.
Abigail
Jul 16, 2011 Abigail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Romantic interest between Connor and Teressa, even though they are uncle and niece? Seriously?
April
Truthfully, these books are not her best writing. She alludes to so much and then doesn't bother exploring it.
Timothy
Great fast-paced and engrossing story. The trilogy would appeal to fans of Harry Potter and Chronicles of Crestomanci series'.
Willow
My library only had this one. I think it needed the books before and after in order make sense.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
K. Kesington
K. Kesington rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2007
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 2: The Spellcoats & The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #3-4)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)
  • A Hidden Magic
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards, #1)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...

Wren (4 books)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)