Start by marking “The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)

The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  64,395 Ratings  ·  1,580 Reviews
Harold Gaynor offers Anita Blake a million dollars to raise a 300-year-old zombie. Knowing it means a human sacrifice will be necessary, Anita turns him down. But when dead bodies start turning up, she realizes that someone else has raised Harold's zombie--and that the zombie is a killer. Anita pits her power against the zombie and the voodoo priestess who controls it.

In T
Published August 2nd 2005 by Berkley (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Laughing Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laughing Corpse

Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostLover Unbound by J.R. Ward
The Best Adult Vampire Romance Books
39th out of 1,061 books — 3,254 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
135th out of 3,458 books — 13,254 voters

More lists with this book...

Sparrow
This was TERRIBLE. Terrible!!! Why are you here book??? Why do you exist?? Why do you suck SO MUCH??? Ugh!! I was listening to this while walking to work in the morning, and I’m pretty sure I was waking up whole neighborhoods with my loud, “UGGGGHHHHHHH”s because I could not refrain from reacting to what a bitch this book is. This book is such a little bitch. It is not SO bad to start out with, just your normal Anita Blake bitchiness, like, “girls shouldn’t wear pink; girls shouldn’t shop; girls ...more
HFK
Buddy read with Jessica. Our Anita Blake marathon continues with the second installment in the series.

One of the key things while reading this series is to remind myself of it being the product of its time, it makes it easier to forgive the overused, familiar elements and go with the flow. A lot has happened since the first publication, but going back to the past also shows how little anything has really changed within the genre. The development is astonishingly minimal in many ways.

I liked The
Jilly
When I read the Kate Daniels series, I would see a lot of reviews that compared her to Anita Blake, and Kate would always come out on top. I could see some similarities, obviously, but I find Anita a little disappointing in how dumb she is. She really doesn't know how to shut the hell up so that someone would NOT want to kill her for a change.

"I'm going to kill you," he hissed.
"Take a number," I said.

She'll need to buy more number machines if she keeps up this pace of pissing people off...

I m
Words
Jan 14, 2008 Words rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was something about Hamilton's first, then second book that irritated the hell out of me, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then one day I saw a picture of her on the book and I understood what it was. It annoys me when authors make themselves the hero/ine of their books, and then just change the name and the environment to make it fantasy fiction. But even more so when you must keep reading about how powerful, and how unconsciously sexy, and how tough that character is (*why* is she try ...more
Donna
Feb 10, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
I like these books. They are fun and entertaining. I like the MC, Anita. There certainly are character traits that annoy me about her, but they aren't deal breakers. I can't ever take this type of urban fantasy seriously. But with that said, the author has a way with words in her descriptive strokes. Sometimes it has me rolling my eyes, but mostly she does a great job of taking descriptions and adding layers to them. That is what I like the most. This is the 3rd book I've read by her and I have ...more
Tilly Slaton
Dec 30, 2011 Tilly Slaton rated it really liked it
This book took my by surprise!

I have read it twice now, and there are parts that are still heart-wrenching.

In the second book of the Anita Blake series, The Laughing Corpse rips you from reality and tosses you unexpectedly into a world of voodoo, betrayal and forced submission.

Following the first book, this begins centered around Anita Blake and her job as an animator as well as the consulting work she does for the paranormal police division that investigates homocides that are obviously perfor
Fabienne Gilbert
Apr 08, 2016 Fabienne Gilbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy and Walking dead fans
'I don't need a glass either,' he said softly. 'Don't get cute,' I said. 'Too late,' he said. I had to smile.

For me I feel that this book was at its high in the last 10% or so, however because it took so long to get to the big high finish, I felt that it was rushed. Also why so little Jean-Claude? I would have liked for him to have had a bigger role, thankfully I know I get that wish in the next one from what I can remember of it... sadly most of it is the ending, so I can't remember how much I
Crystal Starr Light
Anita Blake receives an offer to raise a 280 year old Zombie. But such a raising would require a human sacrifice, and Anita draws the line there. Dolph then summons her to the grisly scene of a crime--the remains of a family. Anita must now find the killer...before anyone else dies.

Even though I didn't care for either the novel or the graphic novel of Guilty Pleasures, I decided to give this series another chance. I am glad I did, because this book was a lot more enjoyable than the previous book
Darby
I have read all of the Anita Blake series and The Laughing Corpse is the second book in the series. Again it is really great entertainment. I enjoy all the characters and the plot. Anita comes into more powers by being Jean Claude's human servant so you get to see that and also her zombie-raising skills come into play. The second book is definitely one of the good ones.
Sofs
Jan 29, 2016 Sofs rated it it was amazing
What a rush!!!

I'm officially part of the Anita Blake fan club. I would love to see this on TV (it would be terribly gory, even worse that The Walking Dead, I'd have to skip those parts, I have a weak stomach).

Anita Blake is once again in trouble, this time she has to deal with some kind of meat-eating zombie, she doesn't really know what it is, and she fears it may be the worst thing she will ever have to catch. This monster ate a family of three members, leaving only blood splattered everywhere
Kathryn
Note: this book is on my gruesome-horror shelf. Certain scene descriptions were disgusting and consequently depressing.

So far, this series is not what I expected. It is slightly grittier and not the least bit upbeat, but more along the lines of what I expect from quality dark urban-fantasy. I enjoyed this book more than the first, largely due to being more familiar with Hamilton's world and characters, something which is typical of long running series. The first books are usually the weakest. I
Krissy
I shouldn't have waited so long to read this book after finishing book 1. I had a difficult time remembering all the secondary characters. But luckily despite that I still enjoyed this book. What I did not enjoy was all the sound effects in the audiobook. They were loud and annoying and distracted from the narration. I could barely hear the narrator! The only thing the sound effects managed to do was give me a headache. If the narrator is good enough they can build suspense with just a change in ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I found I was liking this a little more than the first one. I liked the first one, but with the second, I started liking Anita more, same with some of the other characters. She was likable so that was nice. Plus the plot was the main focus. Only two books in, but I'm liking the series. So far anyway. Hopefully the rest of the series is just as good.
Táňa
Mar 09, 2013 Táňa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ještě lepší než první díl! Hrozně jsem se u knihy nasmála, ale nechyběli ani okamžiky kdy mě pálily oči od slz. Naprosto geniální kniha! Ode mne dostává zasloužený plný počet hvězdiček! :)

Má pravdu. Co si sakra kdo myslí, že tu chci dělat? Ukrást tělo? Kdybych chtěla, celou tuhle budovu vyprázdním a se všemi mrtvolami si zahraju „všichni jdeme sborem“.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 25, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
As I reread this series I am aware of just how much it has changed and mutated into something completely different from the original books. The Laughing Corpse is book #2 and focuses almost completely on Anita's zombie raising duties and her job helping the police on Spook Squad. This book is horribly gory and disturbing. I originally read it back before I had children and am relieved that I didn't attempt to read it when they were toddlers. That's all I'm sayin'.

In this book, Anita is called in
Kat Kennedy
The Laughing Corpse is a well written and action packed read.

Anita's character is fantastic, capable, practical and stubborn. The other major players in this story are intricate and colorful.

The mystery is better this time, though in retrospect a little unbelievable, even for this universe.

I enjoyed the character growth and the plot progression.

Over all a great read!
Komal
May 17, 2013 Komal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of the best things about Anita is her give no fucks attitude. She's all "You think you can take me zombie? Do you?! I think not." And bam, down goes the zombie and off goes Anita. It's all very fascinating.

4 stars cause it ran a bit long in the middle.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
After reading Guilty Pleasures and falling hook, line, and sinker into the Anita Blake world, I eagerly rushed forward to devour the second offering. The Laughing Corpse digs deeper into Blake’s world, shows off more of Jean-Claude, Ronnie, and the polices characters.

As always, Anita is surrounded by problems with no immediate, easy solution in sight. Emphasis isn’t placed heavily on her vampire slaying, more with her job as an animator. The suspense and story is strong from the beginning; actio
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
The Laughing Corpse is one of my least favorite AB books and I really don't know why. It's interesting, doesn't have all the sex craziness, no relationship drama but still... It doesn't have Edward either.

There is this one moment in the book that ruins it for me. Anita is, if nothing else, supposed to be the good guy(she says so herself many times) but in order to get what she wants from Wanda she lets JC terrify the poor woman. That's just wrong in my book.

Then we have the "Manny thing". I mean
Cindy
OK, I did not enjoy the image of one more blood soaked carpet, with a baby blanket or a little small hand left in the coagualting carpet! ACK! I do love the silly world Anita Blake inhabits, where vampires have legal rights and zombie-raising is an acceptable occupation. Will vampires get the vote? Will Anita survive to see the answer? Stay tuned, kids, same bat time, same bat channel! (I loved tv's Batman, too!) This book was so gory, which I mention because it is like the elephant in the room ...more
K~Terror
Enjoyed the 2nd book in the series every bit as well as the 1st - maybe more. I got to know the main characters a bit more and found the mystery interesting, as well as a bit gruesome!
Norma Mills
Mar 14, 2014 Norma Mills rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Ok.. Keeping this simple, since I disliked book one. This book was better, I adore Dolph, Jean Claude is cute, though there was not enough of him, and I like the whole VooDoo idea... But Anita still grates on me. It is like she is trying to get killed. When you are that small... You don't chase something that just tore someone throat out... or can tear limbs off. That said... Anita is the ONLY character I don't like! And their her books! Blech... Onto book 3, because I am a glutton.
Evey
Oct 09, 2015 Evey rated it liked it
It was a weird read. In one hand, I enjoyed the storyline and even thought of giving this book four stars. In the other hand, we have an absolutely terrible narrative voice, a main character that drove me crazy at times and scenes that were pointless. Even, there's a particular scene (a crime scene) that was unnecessary gross. Not because of the descriptions, but because of what Anita and another character do. (view spoiler) ...more
Sandra
Sep 21, 2015 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5
Jen
I love this book! I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again (and then probably again in every review I write for a book in this series, lol): I have so much love for this book/series! :-)

In this second book, we don't meet any new series characters... CORRECTION: We meet a few new series characters: (view spoiler)
Merve  Özcan

Aslında uzun zamandır aklımda Anita'nın tüm kitaplarına yorum yazmak vardı ama niyeyse kısmet olmadı. Finallerin yarın olması bende her zaman ki gibi blogla uğraşma içgüdülerini tetikledi ve işte ben, kendimi Anita'nın 2. kitabını yorumlarken buldum.

Gülen ceset aslında Anita'dan okuduğum ilk kitaptır. Rastlantı sonucu bir sahafta elime geçmişti ve bende okumuştum. Kaç yıl öncesinden bahsediyorum inanın bilmiyorum. Düşünün o zamanlar daha ingilizcem iyi de
Shannon
Sep 27, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caution: here be potty words! ;)

Anita Blake books are always fun reads for me. I don't have to do any heavy thinking. I can just sit back and enjoy the ride. These books were written in the early 90's and I really enjoy reading about Anita's pager and how every time it goes off she has to race to find a pay phone! If that isn't enough, she actually wears a fanny pack in this book. How can you not love that?

I love Anita because she is so fucking kick ass! She knows her weapons, can kill things th
So, I Read This Book Today
Jan 01, 2013 So, I Read This Book Today rated it really liked it
Anita Blake is, or wants to be, deeply human. And as such, she is obsessively concerned with the protection of humans from the things that go bump in the night. To protect others, she is willing to put her very life on the line, but not her very soul, not unless that is the only way to protect others. As such, she can be irritating, infuriating, and a just plain pain-in-the-ass to the people (or creatures) who want to protect her.

The question of humanity in the first three books that I have read
chucklesthescot
Jul 23, 2014 chucklesthescot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF/PNR,vampire and horror fans
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr
Anita is having another bad week. A rich man wants her to raise a zombie using human sacrifice but she refuses and this response does not go down well. She upsets a voodoo Queen who decides to have her killed by zombies. A fellow animator is murdered and what he raised is murdering innocent people all over town. Plus Jean-Claude is still trying to make her his human servant. Just another typical week for Anita...

What I like about Anita is that she isn't perfect. She kills vampires but she is sca
Kelly
Sep 13, 2008 Kelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires, zombies
I really wanted to get into this series, because the idea of a supernatural society set in St. Louis appealed to me so much. But I'm so annoyed by Anita's character, and by the horrible prose, that throughout Guilty Pleasures and this one I found myself cringing more than enjoying.

Aside from being smug and prude, Anita is for some reason always feeling the need to prove herself by being overtly stubborn and mouthy. I wanted so badly for her to just get over herself.

The narration, which tries v
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian #4)
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Demon Mistress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #6)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)

“Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop.” 1040 likes
“People are supposed to fear the unknown, but ignorance is bliss when knowledge is so damn frightening.” 493 likes